5-10, 11, and 12th report

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Well I finally made it up to Sherman this year for the first time since the ice left the lake, and I’m glad I went. A lot of this will be somewhat repeated from previous reports, so I’ll try to keep it short.

I made it up there on Thursday and didn’t fish a lot (only about 3 hours in the evening), but did find 3 walleyes and about 8 crappies up shallow back in trail 6 in a little cove I like to fish. I see someone went wild back there with treepiles, but that’ll help keep some fish in there I’m sure. Caught most all fish with a wobble headed jig with a yellow grub.

On Friday, I was up early and out in trail 3 tossing jigs and got a walleye and a couple crappies. Then I met up with Jorg and Greg Wibbels (members flatwalter, and I think Greg might be flatwater?) as they were heading up onto a point in the north arm of the lake to try for walleyes. I met them up there and watched them catch quite a few, and I caught a few as well. Leeches seemed to work real well, but so did crawlers. The fish really seemed to be in 10 FOW. Not 9, not 11….10! My buddy Quint met me up there in the afternoon, so we went back out to the same point (think it’s the same one that Zach mentioned in his Sherman report) and just caught tons of walleyes for a few hours. The most walleyes my buddy Q has ever caught in his life, so that was a good time. Q also reeled up a perch, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen at Sherman before. We then moved up into some coves and caught a few crappies before dark on jigs/grubs.

On Saturday, the crappie tournament started at 8, and it was a struggle. We mainly concentrated on shallower water, but I really think we would have done better out in deeper water. But we tried to work areas that were real close to deeper water, and that’s where we caught most of our fish. We only caught 6 keepers all day, so we weighed the best 5 for 3.01lbs in the tourny, so we didn’t finish too well, but still had a good time. We didn’t get our first fish in the boat until about 11am and got our 5th keeper about 1pm. I’m convinced we were probably some of the hardest working anglers in the tourny….I had the boat up under trees, and I was on my hands and knees at times dipping for fish. That really seemed to be the key; most fish were caught by what I call dipping-just letting the jig hang there in front of them with little or no movement at all. I had to use the 12′ rod at times, and that’s a lot of fun when you hook a crappie on that thing. We also caught quite a few walleyes up in the trees while crappie fishing. Not one keeper walleye all weekend, but caught lots of them. The key color for us all three days was yellow.

There were some discussions about whether or not the crappies were already done spawning, and I agree with Zach in that they were on the downhill slide of being done. But I had a couple guys swear up and down that they were just starting, so who knows.

If you want to have a good time and catch lots of fish with a legitimate shot at a good fish or two, head to Sherman.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

THANKS BRIAN Time to head to Elwood

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Great report Brian. Sounds like you had a nice vacation. That’s awesome that your buddy got to catch so many eyes. Tell him to be careful, they are very adictive.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks guys. And you’re not kidding, Ben….it was hard to leave that spot and go look for crappies!

And you’re right too, Zach….you’ll find me a lot at Elwood in the near future!

djorg
    Central City, NE

Quote:

On Friday, I was up early and out in trail 3 tossing jigs and got a walleye and a couple crappies. Then I met up with Jorg and Greg Wibbels (members flatwalter, and I think Greg might be flatwater?) as they were heading up onto a point in the north arm of the lake to try for walleyes. I met them up there and watched them catch quite a few, and I caught a few as well.

Hey Brian, thanks for the shout out, appreciated the time that we were able to spend together. Wibs uses “gwalter.”

We caught a couple more keepers there this morning (5/16) but it really shut down right before noon. Also landed a big slimer on the point; really thought I had a nice ‘eye.

We tried a couple of more ‘spring spots’ but couldn’t raise a thing. Should be a great time of the moon but the drop of 30 degrees can’t be the greatest.

Sherman is a great lake when it is full; even kind of pretty right now. Remember to give us a shout when you head up to Merritt; maybe we can work out a little trip then too.

Good fishin’
    dj

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Jorg,
    It was absolutely great running into you up there! I knew I’d screw Wibs’ name up somehow, but real glad I finally got to meet him too. One thing is for sure, people….these two guys love to fish together, that was obvious! I had a real good time fishing around you guys as well, and I hope we can do it again soon!

I’ll definitely get ahold of you….Sara and I do plan on spending 3-4 days up at Merritt the weekend of the 15th of June, so that’s the plan as of right now. I’m already looking forward to that….but have a lot of Elwood in the near future too. I’ll be talking with ya soon!
    Brian

gwalter
    Grand Island, NE

Thanks for the report Brian and it was good meeting you also. I appreciate the emails you send my way. Glad to hear your buddy got to get a bunch of “eyes”. I also landed a perch on the point that day and have only got a couple in the years I’ve fished there. Say hi to Sara for me. Wibbs

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Sara says hi back!

Those, I think, are the only two perch I’ve ever seen up there. Quint also caught a perch in the canal last year that went 11″, and I think Master Angler is 13″, so it was a real nice one. We’ll catch a few perch at Johnson on crawlers, but that’s about the only time I see them.

Hope to be fishing with you guys in June up north!

Todd_NE

way to go bruiser

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.