It seems my luck has changed! Or not…

• bobbergeson

After finding a record amount of sheds last year on our farm in SE MN this year has been slow to say the least. Having shed hunted four farms and close to two thousand acres this year and only finding a few had me wondering if I was off my game. I went out today at our home farm with low expectations of finding anything, but to my surprise I had found three in the first half hour. Unfortunately 15 min later I found what I believe to be a great up’n comer dead in our sanctuary food plot. What started out as a good day of shed hunting quickly turned and became a less then perfect day of shed hunting. All in all I’m glad I found him before the tree rats did, but would rather of found his sheds, and watched him grow another year!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Nice finds Congrats it does suck to find those dead ones I have a great video of him on a licking branch.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Mostly great stuff Bobby. Sucks about the up and comer.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

That blows! Nice finds otherwise.

ses
    Mayer, MN

Top, you have any idea on how long he might of been dead? Just curious to know how long it roughly takes for a dead deer to get to that point when you found him?

I ran into the same deal, however all that was left was a skelton and we have not seen or had trail pics of the buck I found for 2 years. I also wonder if the hair doesn’t keep the rats away.

Either way, good find…..but bad deal.

bobbergeson

SES- After I found him my dad and I were disappointed to say the least. Neither one of us really knew what deer he was until we started looking at trail cam pics. To my knowledge the last video we have of this deer was on 10-17-11 where he was working a licking branch. I believe its safe to assume he was killed not long after that due to the fact we had quite a few trail cams out. Another factor to consider, and I think my dad, and scottb will both agree with me is that the amount of coyotes in this area is overwhelming. I’m not saying that coyotes took this deer down, but i believe the amount of coyotes played a huge role as to how fast it took the deer to get in to this shape.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Bobby

One of our wonderful neighbors shot a deer during shotgun that fits that ones description and it ran the direction you found him. I would bet money this was the buck he wounded, of course its not as big as he claimed.

shednut
    22 feet up

Nice finds! Always a bummer to find them with the antlers still attached to the skull plate, but some great sheds none the less

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Shed hunting is getting depressing ! In no way is this not a bummer but it is still way cooler to find them instead of just letting them decay and always wondering what happened to that buck. Nice finds Bobby, keep up the good work

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Did you save any for me I suppose you will find a truck load in buffalo co. Good luck if you decide to go If not I’ll get them this weekend

ses
    Mayer, MN

Your on a roll Top. Thanks for the reply!

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Quote:

Found one more today!

Nice!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Found one more today!

just put a tape to that last shed. he scores 67 5/8″ we actually put him on the hit list in mid December when we found out he was injured. I had him patterned pretty good but after one hunt he patterned me he dropped both sides on the 6th of January. here is a short video of him in December.

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/north-freak/2012%20j%20hook/?action=view&current=PICT00232.mp4

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/north-freak/2012%20j%20hook/?action=view&current=PICT0037.mp4

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Bob
    Could you tell what was wrong with him? Pretty thin looking and looks like he is limping pretty good. Cool looking buck though, glad we had an easy winter and hope he was able to dodge the coyotes!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Scott,My last pics of him were in late february. he looks to be about 140-150 pounds he was the 1st buck to drop his antlers. I never could tell for sure what the injury was caused from there were no apparant bloody wounds. he just went from walking normal all season to limping very badly. and then he started loosing weight fast. so I tried to kill him but never had him in bow range. I did pass him when he was healthy at 35 yards with the M.L. I hope he makes it

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Atleast he made it until then, hope he rebounds, could turn into a really neat buck.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

That is an awesome buck!!! Come on Bobby…where’s the other side? If he made it that long with an injury I tend to think the best for him. If it is a long term injury his rack might not be what it could but it could have been something small and for all we know he is running around with no worries right now . Please don’t pass him this year Bergesons, he is ready to be thwacked !

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on your finds Bobby!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.