BB and Me, 2012 shed hunting adventures

• shednut
    22 feet up

This season has been really slow for me, I finally got off the goose egg today. Typically I start picking up antlers in January, but with most of the deer still carrying until recently I’ve been pretty much staying out of my shed hunting areas. BB and I took a walk this morning on a farm that always produces a few antlers. BB was the first to score with a nice 5 point side, and I picked up a chunky 4 point that probably goes into the mid 50’s. On the walk back to the truck BB snagged up a small one to make 3 on the day. Sorry for the lack of ATL’s, forgot my camera at home

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Hey Shednut, Thats a nice way to break the goose egg. I’ve had a slow start too, I logged almost 25 miles between shed #2 and #3 They should start dropping in large numbers soon.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Those are nice numbers and size for this season.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Nice finds today’s camera check showed several small bucks still holding at my place

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Nice group of shed I need to get a helper like that …

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

Nice work! Gotta love it when the dog finds one! How long you been sheding hunting with your dog?

shednut
    22 feet up

Thanks fellas. Lucas, this will be my dog’s third shed season. She really started to figure it out last season and managed to pick up 9 solo finds. With two already under her belt for this season I’m thinking that I will have my work cut out to try and keep up with her numbers….she cheats though and runs ahead of me and I’m not in good enough shape to out pace her

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Nothing wrong with that start! I look forward to more shed finds from you and BB.

shednut
    22 feet up

BB and I had a great walk this morning. Didn’t put up much for numbers but I found the set that wanted this season, and if I don’t find another shed all year I’ll still consider the season a success. This past fall I had two bucks that I wanted to arrow and I was fortunate enough to kill the one on November 3rd. I must have a horseshoe because I picked up the other bucks matched set this morning. BB found this bucks matching set last spring, and this morning I found his matched set about a 100 yards from where he dropped them a year ago. He doesn’t tape out to anything jaw dropping but he has awesome character and will be a fully mature 5 1/2 year old this upcoming season.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Whoaaa. That’s awesome!!! Bullet to one and bare hands to the other! Congrats. That’s an outstanding find!!!!!!

shednut
    22 feet up

Finally picked up some bone again today. The last couple hikes haven’t produced anything, but my cameras are still showing a good share of the bucks packing both sides so I haven’t been hitting it any too hard either. Right off the bat today I was climbing a bedding point and spotted a shed laying tines down about 40 yards in front me. BB beat me to it so no ATL, but was happy to kick off the days hike with some success. Turned out to be the right side off a junky 3 1/2 y.o. with a split brow that I have a pile of pictures of. Another 3 hours of hiking produced nothing and I decided to hit one more small spot before calling it a day. Was bummed to find a buck that I was really looking forward to chasing this fall. He was a super stud of a three year old with a ton of character and 14 measureable points. The last pic is of him with his matching set from last season. He blew up from about a 130″ deer last year to a 157″ this year. That’s just the way it goes sometimes, but definitely shows what giving them a year will do for their headgear.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Very sorry his story ended the way it did . That is an amazing buck and at least you found him so there will always be something to remember him by! I just left the deer classic where I saw a company that can do some pretty cool stuff with euro mounts and sheds. http://www.teamoutdoors.com if you’re interested. The character on that buck is what I dream about , hopefully he was able to spread those genes in your area !

shednut
    22 feet up

Thanks for the link Todders…I’ll definitely check them out.
    Picked up two more today, nothing special…but bone is bone. I found the first one a big 2 point, and BB ended up snagging an old chewed up fork horn.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on your finds shednut!

The only thing left now is for that 8 point to go down for you this fall!

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Looks like you’re having a good shed season so far. Nice recent finds!

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Lookin good Shednut we are at 5 sheds and one dead buck so far.

lucas_zemlicka
    Montana

To bad the buck didn’t make it . Any idea why he died?

shednut
    22 feet up

Lucas, I’m not positive but I had heard of someone hitting a big buck with their pickup not very far from where I found him dead….I’m thinking that he had internal injuries possibly from a vehicle collision but couldn’t see any obvious signs of trauma from what was left of him.

Two more today, BB was the bread winner today and found both of them. One old one and one freshie.

shednut
    22 feet up

Another hike today produced a funky skull plate that I left for the squirrels to gnaw on. Managed to pick up one shed from a picked corn field. I think my season is winding down….probably take a few walks early next week and hang it up for the season.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.