Its almost time!

• mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

I found this shed last weekend. Talk about an easy one to see, I couldnt find the mate though. I think most of the bucks in my area are still carrying but it shouldnt be too long now. I am making it a point to carry my camera with this year and take pictures as they lay and of big rubs…hope you enjoy em’
    Mark

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice find Mark Something about a blind squirrel comes to mind…..

big G

lick

nice love the as they lay pics

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Way to go Mark and great job taking pictures! I hope this is the start of many to come!

coppertop
    Central MN

If they were all like that! Congrats on a great shed!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Nice shed, it looks like that buck might have some pretty neat characteristics next year.

I have never actually gone out for the single purpose of shed hunting. So my question to you is…How do you go about searching your woods? Do you key in on the main deer trails or do you just try and blanket a section of woods?

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Nice find! Keep the ATL pictures coming.

fireman1217
    Eagan, MN

Great question Prieser…I was going to ask the same thing. I take it the bucks are still hitting their rubbing trees? or making new ones? Do you go to an area, or a tree, that they were rubbing in the fall?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Here are a few key spots I look for. Mark is definitely a better and more dedicated shed hunter then I, but here is what I look for. Find where they are feeding and bedding look in both of those spaces and to and fro. Also anywhere like a creek crossing or anywhere where they go up and down a hill can be good spots. At the base of the antlers the bone starts to fracture. Kind of like a loose tooth. Any jarring or sudden movements can cause the rack to come looser or drop. Hence, the Creek Crossings and Topo variations tip. Heck, in the Suburbs I have even found sheds on the sides of roads where the trails cross the street. From them scurrying to get across the street and having them jump the snow banks on either side. I have found 2 sheds this way.

Bucks spend most of time in their bedding and feeding areas, therefore those are best spots to start at. I’m guessing Mark puts in his time and just don’t hit an area once and forget about it. You need to keep hitting those key spots every other week. Lastly, I also bet Mark puts on quite a few miles each Spring. Hope this helps.

lick

fence crossings and feeding areas ( corn cribs can be dynomite) are my best bets

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

If you are just getting started, I would drive around and find the most heavily stomped fresh deer sign and go from there. I dont always look in the areas that I hunt because the deer just arent there this time of year…
    Here is an article I wrote last year that will help you out also Finding More Sheds
    Post a picture if you find some

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is getting me pumped to get out. With the days getting longer, some after work hikes could actually happen

big G

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Fence Crossings

Yes GUT is right on. The jarring of the landing or take off is a key place.

I forgot about that one.

beetle

Most guys think there is some big secret or hot spot you need to find sheds. Although all of these tips & ideas are a good place to start. There’s only 2 things you need to know to be successful. Find Deer/Walk Many Many Many Miles.

beetle

Walked about 5 hrs on Wed. & found 3. 1 matched set off a 9pt & a single 3pt, with no brow tine. Walked about 2 hrs tonight & found a dead 8pt.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Nice job beetle, post a picture if you can.

I walked about 5 miles yesterday and found a big dead buck with the antlers cut just above the bur and a shed off a fork Kind of a painful looking little thing

beetle

Walked about 8 hrs today, Dont know how many miles that is but it’s alot. Found 2 sheds today, the match off the single I found Wednesday & a small 4pt. I have some pic’s but it might be awhile before I can post them. I’m old school, my Bow doesn’t have Wheels & my camera uses Film.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

its still pretty early, I saw a group of four bucks with antlers grazing in a field today after I got done hiking.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Good job guys! You got to love this weather right now for shed hunting!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Rufus and I walked for about 2 hours on Saturday and decided to call it a day when I saw about 50-60 deer run by me, some right at 20 yards in about a 15 minute span. I only saw one Buck with out one of his antlers. I saw about 30 bucks and the biggest was about a 160-170″ 5×5. He stopped and looked at Rufus and I hiding in the tall grass patch @ 20 yards. Most of the boys are still holding on, in my area. I have only seen 4 deer with no horns and three deer with one horn on so far this year.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

That had to be a rush Lip!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Believe me it was. My guess is that other Shed Hunters kicked them up from their bed. They usually do not get bothered in this area except for this time of year. So they really can “school” up.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

are you walking around roch

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

North Metro!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.