where to look

• broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ok I am going to sound dumb as have never looked for sheds before, but am guessing the church property out back where a 10 point and about 9 deer total have been for the last 4 years has never been scowered for sheds. what types of areas of signs do you look for? I am thinking of taking the boys out back to look this weekend.

thanks-
    Broncs

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I am no expert in shed hunting but I would think any areas that might help “assist” a buck in losing his antlers…..such as a fence or low hanging limbs on a well used trail. Or find the bedding area would be another suggestion! I’m sure the real experts will chime in soon though! Good luck!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I am no expert either, found a few in my days (most by accident) but like Dart says, anywhere they have to go under or jump a fence. This either knocks them off or the movement just plain makes them fall off. If you stick to trails, that’s a good spot too Good luck Bronc’s

big G

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

IMHO….as simple as it sounds, find out where the bucks are at in Dec. and Jan then start there in Feb. or March. Alot of times my best hunting areas arent good shed hunting areas…..Im always looking for those little core areas that hold deer when there is snow on the ground.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great tips guys. Also consider looking in their closest winter food source. Many times these sheds will be out in the middle of the fields.

lick

i agree with grifter i find most of my sheds in fields where the deer winter and feed also field sheds have less chance of being ate by tree rats good luck

coppertop
    Central MN

Great tips everybody! The thing is they can be anywhere, yes some places better than others. My main search areas are bedding areas, feed lots, trails and in that order. I have found them in the wide open and in willows where I’ve had to almost crawl to get into. For searching in wooded areas go on a cloudy day as the shine off of dead braches, weeds, etc on the ground is less and there are fewer shadows. On the other hand on sunny days I’d rather be in the open as some just glisten in the sun. In cut cornfield I bring a small broomstick with me and watch 3 rows at a time. At the end I plant the stick turn 180 and take 3 more rows. It just helps making sure a row didn’t go astray while planted and therefore I cover them all. Good luck on your search!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.