Shed Hunting With Drones

• jwellsy

Have any of you tried shed hunting with a drone?
    I’ve heard that looking straight down with a drone can double your finds.
    There’s a few youtubes that sorta show it.
    One guy has a thermal camera on his drone and found a shed after a sunny day on the next cooler day by looking for the heat retained by the shed. That would only work on specific circumstances.
    There’s another one where the drone spots a little dark spot in the middle of a frozen lake, when they get close and zoom in it’s a shed.
    I thinking that looking down on tall weeds or corn stubble would have to give a more unobstructed view of a shed.
    The only problem is the initial investment of a decent drone. The popular DJI stuff is really pricey. I would want as long of flight time as possible and have several batteries.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

DJI Mini 2 SE can look straight down and it has 20+ minutes on a standard battery at slower speeds. Thermal drones are $3000+
    Might want to add DJI Care Refresh in case you fly into a tree

I might have to take it out tomorrow and scan some fields

hillhiker
    SE MN

One of the farmers that lets me shed hunt finds them with his drone. In the spring he flies it around the fields in the morning while he enjoys a cup of coffee. He’s showed me a few pics, and once the antlers bleach out they really stand out in the corn stubble. I should add he has a pretty high end drone/camera for taking aerial photos. I’m sure that helps.

jimmysiewert

To me it absolutely unthinkable. Not getting off the couch to get out in the woods and fields to enjoy the actual outdoors and what it has to offer is foolish. For all these years it has been about, “finding a shed is just a bonus. Seeing nature at its finest is the trophy”.
    As far as I am concerned, “the high fence hunt of sheds”.

To all their own.

jwellsy

In some states I think it could be considered illegal to use electronics for anything related to hunting. Young game wardens (I mean conservation police officers as they will quickly correct you on) that are politically motivated to move up their corporate ladder may not have much grace in interpreting the rules.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Is looking for shed antlers regulated by the DNR?

hillhiker
    SE MN

On some types of public land the taking of shed antlers is not allowed. I would imagine the DNR would be in charge of that.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jeremy wrote:</div>

On some types of public land the taking of shed antlers is not allowed. I would imagine the DNR would be in charge of that.

Could you give an example of the land you reference? Assuming you mean the land is otherwise open to the public?

jimmysiewert

State Parks. Illegal to pick up sheds.

shefland
    Walker

are you kidding?

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

We made a trip to Ontario to shed hunt my cousin lucked into a matched set of Moose sheds , i found a spike LOL In Manitoba we were not allowed to pick up sheds , go figure

hillhiker
    SE MN

State parks, SNA, and AMA lands are all closed to shed hunting. Some county land is also closed to shed hunting, depends on the county.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

so what is the reason our illustrious leaders give for not allowing shed hunting on certain pieces of land???

me no understand!!!!! doah

jimmysiewert

Actually like it. Sheds play a vital role in an ecosystem for giving many critters not so easily found nutrients. In many states out west there is actually a season for shed hunting and only time you can.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Actually like it. Sheds play a vital role in an ecosystem for giving many critters not so easily found nutrients. In many states out west there is actually a season for shed hunting and only time you can.

i’m not opposed to it just dont understand the rational behind it. coffee doah

i pretty much suck at finding sheds……..think i’ve found maybe 3 in my life!!

jimmysiewert

That’s what I love about shed hunting. Finding one is just a bonus!! My significant other and I have over 80 miles in so far walking the woods/fields. We have only 1 so far this year but we never complain. It’s just fun being out in nature (plus most are still holding anyway).

jwellsy

I’ve always heard that out west there’s not very many rodents and that’s why sheds stay nice for a really long time.

10klakes

State parks, SNA, and AMA lands are all closed to shed hunting. Some county land is also closed to shed hunting, depends on the county.

Yep, this isn’t anything new. If people didn’t know, no harvesting or taking of anything from SNA lands unless noted otherwise- foraging, sheds, hunting etc. Public land only gets the SNA designation if species or habitat of rare or special concern is found and needs protecting.

Three Rivers Park’s don’t allow any harvesting or taking either of anything. They are a little strict..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.