Sharon's Famous Chili

• Sharon
    SE Metro

Well, it’s not famous… yet! Actually I haven’t even tasted it yet but it sure smells good! Today I’m making my first chili. I had a craving for chili so I dusted off my crockpot and we’ll see how it turns out. I know chili is one of those things that has numerous ingredients, but I wanted to start with a simple recipe, which to me still has a lot of damn ingredients!

Sharon’s Chili
    2 lbs ground burger
    1 medium onion, diced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 poblano chili pepper, minced
    2.5 cups beef stock
    1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can crushed tomatoes
    1 can diced tomatoes
    3 tbsp chili powder
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp sriracha sauce

1. Brown the burger, then add the onion, garlic, and poblano chili pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender.
    2. Place burger mixture into crockpot. Then add everything else. Cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or on high heat for 5-6 hours.
    3. Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, and Fritos and enjoy!

I’m getting hungry just smelling this cooking. 😋

Attachments:
    1. 20200425_092840.jpg

2. 20200425_090426.jpg

Iowaboy1

Dang girl !! that sure looks and sounds great !!
    once in a while we make chili with beef,lamb,and pork in it,really kicks up the meat profile.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

That looks and sounds good.
    I just finished a batch that I made a few days ago. It’s great comfort food

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Looks tasty I’m a sucker for good chili. Speaking of famous I’ve been making a copy cat of famous daves chili. I typed in famous daves chili copycat recipe and it’s out of this world, has a touch of barbecue in it. Damb now I want chili!!!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Looks delish Sharon.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Oh man you guys, the chili is excellent! I just had some for supper and I like it! It could be spicer. It’s not bland and the flavor is good, but it could use a kick. Maybe some hot peppers?

Attachments:
    1. 20200425_170141.jpg

Brad Dimond

A little cayenne pepper powder will add zip. The longer you cook it the hotter it will get.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Maybe a shot of hot sauce.

bigpike

A couple ghost peppers will do the trick shock

Looks like great Chili Sharon!!

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Sounds about right for me,express me a bowl.I will let you know if it needs more heat.

blackbay
    mn

My wife used to live in New Mexico. She raved about green chile sauce. She ordered some green and red chile sauces when we first were married. This stuff is the best. It is great in chili, huevos rancheros, enchiladas, crock pot fajitas… The price isn’t bad, but the shipping is almost more expensive. It’s worth it though.

Attachments:
    1. Chile.jpg

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

When I’m feeling squirrelly, I’ll smoke the ground meat for a couple of hours after I brown it. It’s hands down the best chili I make.

greg christiansen

that looks awesome think you have every right to call it famous!

Buckeye1

Sharon,

The chili looks tremendous. I’m gonna have too try that recipe. You can add some hot sauce too you taste as dishing it out. The fam doesn’t like it hot, some I kick mine up with Tobasco usually.

Chamber,

How long do you smoke the ground beef? Do you just put it into a foil pan and put on a smoker?

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

1-2 hours. It works better if it’s a little on the fattier side and still a bit pink.

I like pecan, mesquite, or hickory since it’s such a short time on the smoker.

For some reason only doing the meat works better than the whole batch of chili, which seems to get a little acrid.

I use a cast iron pan.

Sharon
    SE Metro

A couple ghost peppers will do the trick shock

Looks like great Chili Sharon!!

Ghost peppers… no way josé! I like a little spice, not flame-throwing heat like that of the notorious ghost peppers! 😅
    Actually I know a guy who I used to work with that loved ghost peppers. He must’ve built up a tolerance!

Buffalo Fishhead

If you want a little more spice, substitute Ro-Tel tomatoes (original or hot) for the crushed or diced tomatoes in your recipe. This is what my wife does and it adds just the right amount of “heat”!

Buffalo Fishhead

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

A couple ghost peppers will do the trick

Oh brother….I had a real “experience ” growing those little fire bombs. Never again.

sji

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigpike wrote:</div>
    A couple ghost peppers will do the trick

Oh brother….I had a real “experience ” growing those little fire bombs. Never again.

Indeed, my wife’s sister’s mother’s oldest son, the one that knew everything came to the garden once and asked if he could have some. Sure I said, just be careful they are hot. He replied ” I can handle anything” as he took a bite. I walked away laughing my butt off as he was on his knees gaging.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thanks for the tips guys! I didn’t even think of something simple like a dash or two of cayenne pepper. Believe it or not, I don’t even have any in my house right now! We didn’t buy it regularly. Instead, Billy would plant hot peppers, dehydrate them, and then grind them up to use rather than buying cayenne. I might plant some hot peppers with this year’s gardening but I’ll probably pick slightly less hotter peppers than Billy liked. grin

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That chili sounds good Sharon. Good thing it is lunch time because now I am hungry.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Do you have any red pepper flakes left over?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sharon, just leave a bowl on my swim platform. I’ll find it. )

Sharon
    SE Metro

Do you have any red pepper flakes left over?

Do you mean of Billy’s dehydrated and ground hot peppers? There was only a little bit left in the jar so I gave it to his uncle when they were in town for the service. At least, I think I did that. I know I thought about it. I’ll have to double check. Those first several weeks are a bit of a blur.

Sharon
    SE Metro

The recent chilly weather left me craving more chili… so I made another pot over the weekend! This time around I used the same recipe but added in there 1 tsp of cayenne pepper and – perfect! That’s just the little kick I was looking for!

grin

Attachments:
    1. 20200913_1423131.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Habenero rotel is a great thing to replace the canned tomatoes.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Habenero rotel is a great thing to replace the canned tomatoes.

I keep about 4 cans in the pantry at all times. Depending on what I am making, it may be a half can, maybe a whole can.
    Some of those little cans can kick some moon

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We just got home from the cabin and I checked the hot peppers to see how they were doing. About like the carrots, my serrano peppers are as large as my jalapenos, and a nice deep red. I have cayenne, jalapeno and serranoes now ripe and ready for fermenting some, then they’ll get simmered in white vinegar until really soft and run thru the blender on puree. After pushing the pulp thru a fine sieve I’ll add back some more vinegar and a touch of salt and bottle it up for table use.

In a chili recipe like Sharon’s I’ll use a couple tablespoons of this for heat but will keep the jar handy at the table too if its too mild. I like a hot chili.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’d love to add some extra heat to chili but my wife wouldn’t eat it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.