Seen a prime example of stupidity today

• Beast

we’re into day 2 of wisconsin deer gun season, today we had a husband a wife come out of the thick part of the woods dressed in dark clothing by one of our deer blinds that my grandson was hunting.he asked if he could help them, we’re looking for our property lines. so he called me, I’m on stand 1/4 mile away. “I’ll be right there” while I was on my way they tried to tell him the blind was on their property, “I don’t think so but my grandfather will be here shortly” I get there and they explained what they were doing, I showed them the survey stake( they were a good 150 yards off) then they lady said well, we’ll just stake it off here, (50 yards into mine) “no you won’t” if you want to stake it, you;ll stake it along the survey line,, I said it really isn’t a good idea to be walking in a hunting area without orange on during “OH we’re good”. By the way, my land is posted on top of this . Now wouldn’t you think that you would talk to the adjoining landowner before you trespass on his land when they are in the middle of a hunt?

blackbay

Good luck with your new neighbors. They sound like the stereotypical city slickers moving next door to a farm and complaining about the smell.

Musky Ed

I would take pictures of your survey tapes and markers, or next year you’ll find they have been moved. If you do find them moved after taking pictures, let them know you are having it resurveyed and billing them for it. If they don’t pay, small claim them. Saw this exact situation done on judge judy. Had a neighbor move my tapes on the back side of my 40 when he wanted to do some tree cutting. Furtunatly I had pictures, and moved the tapes back. Went and had a talk with him, he blamed it on one of his sons. Never been moved since.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Moving survey irons is illegal.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Wow, sounds like you will be having some fun in the future. I agree you should document and take pictures now. The first year I bought my house I removed 8 large dying pine trees inside my fence on my property. My neighbors tried to stop me because those trees shaded their home and called the city on me. You can’t fix stupid and they have been holding a grudge against me ever since. Good luck.

Iowaboy1

We had this problem at our little farm many years ago, a new neighbor bought the adjoining property to our east and proceeds to build a new house and several large machine sheds on it.
    Without checking the survey data or the plat book let alone paying attention to our eastern fence row, he built one of the sheds that extended onto our property by four feet !!
    WTH!!!

Once he realized what he had done and the concrete was already set, he offered to pay to have it resurveyed but it would have taken a wedged shape chunk a few hundred feet long and ten or so feet wide out of our property line and wasnt worth it, so now he has an easement to have it there.
    A couple of years later a tree on our property fell on that shed, he hinted that our insurance should pay for it, REALLY??
    We reminded him that a 15 dollar easement saved him thousands in survey costs and the issue was immediately dropped.

Not looking forward to new owners when it sells again.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Walking around during a firearms deer season, at least in MN, is definitely illegal. This topic has been brought up a lot recently. I am not sure exactly what the law is in Wisconsin, but I have to imagine that its very similar.

Even on my own property I’d be wearing blaze orange for safety purposes.

Deuces

Of course moving stakes and arguing lines is stupid.

But also as a non hunter I think it’s pretty stupid normal people can’t walk in the woods during deer season. How about you just know wtf you are shooting at egh?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

But also as a non hunter I think it’s pretty stupid normal people can’t walk in the woods during deer season. How about you just know wtf you are shooting at egh?

Completely agree Beads. Safety is and always should be number 1. Verify your target.

The law is very clear on blaze orange though. They don’t care what you’re doing out there. If you are out there during a deer firearms season or a youth firearms season, put orange on.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sounds like they are PITA people. Dont be nice to them. It will only hurt you in the long run.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

Completely agree Beads. Safety is and always should be number 1. Verify your target.

The law is very clear on blaze orange though. They don’t care what you’re doing out there. If you are out there during a deer firearms season or a youth firearms season, put orange on.

Yes the law is very clear. Coincidentally it aligns with common sense.
    But go ahead and continue with your nightly walks in the neighborhood dressed in black. Totally legal…

Reef W

What law requires someone not hunting to wear orange?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

During hunting season my dogs don’t go outside without blaze orange on. Well the Chiwawa wears blaze pink.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Walking around during a firearms deer season, at least in MN, is definitely illegal.

Where do you find it written that it’s illegal?

It’s a hugely bad idea, but I’ve never seen any legal requirement that I’ve ever seen that those NOT involved in hunting activities wear orange even on public land. Yes, if you’re hunting or trapping you must wear orange.

Just putting this out there so we don’t build an expectation that people would generally be wearing orange out there. I’ve never seen any law that says non-hunters need to wear orange and most of the non-hunters out there are blissfully unaware anything is going on during the month of November that would make wearing orange a good idea.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

You’re right. Only a law for hunters and trappers. I dont recall ever hearing about a hiker getting shot around here. Others hunters yes. Probably because most hikers stay out of hunters way.
    In Wis you can only wear an orange/pink hat. Its legal to hunt without a hat and brown hair but no other colors allowed. Let that one sink in. I got busted for wearing my heaviest knit cap in blue. No ticker but an eye opener to read the fine print.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

X2 on the question.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Only a law for hunters and trappers. We were mistaken.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

While I agree with you in principle, the reality is that even if 99.9% of the hunters are identifying their target, there is that 1 in a thousand moron that is shooting at movement or the color brown. Wearing some orange in the woods during deer season is the sane thing to do.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Sorry officer, I thought they were a buck chasing a doe.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m not getting in the middle of most of this, only to say most if not all my hunting is up in the chippewa national forest, itasca county.

the minute small game opens 99% of people i see out and about have orange on from that day on…….including me.

if i’m bear hunting after small game is open i wear an orange hat till i get to my stand!!!!!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

…and here I thought this was going to be a topic about someone discussing PJ Fleck’s greatness

mojogunter

I think Steven Wright had a joke along the lines of I accidentally shot my father in-law. I thought he was a deer in camp dressed in orange making coffee.

Beast

It’s not the law for non hunters to wear orange during rifle season, It’s common sense. I have always taught to know what’s behind your target before you shoot, but it makes it damn near impossible if what’s behind the target blends into the background ,especially on property that’s posted and they have no business being on in the first place .
    they were on my property again this AM! this time they were told to leave, I marked the survey stakes after they left being they already screwed that piace up for any morning hunt.I will be talking to them again this evening and if I have to, I will take them by the hand and show them where their line is . as a side note, the wife is a bit of a Karen.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Only a law for hunters and trappers. We were mistaken.

Thank you. My apologies. Apparently non-hunters aren’t required to wear orange even though I and most people think its a terrible idea.

Coletrain27

people like that you cant win with. if they are constantly messing up your hunt i would call the sheriff or dnr or both of them for hunter harrasment. and explain to the the sheriff or dnr the situation and let them tell the idiots to leave you alone. if they dont leave you alone after that set up a couple cameras on your land for proof of them trespassing

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I will be talking to them again this evening and if I have to, I will take them by the hand and show them where their line is

You have to! Just show them the line and then double down by marking it yourself. In this situation, I would cut a fenceline and post No Trespassing signs the length of the line just to make it real, real clear.

When I first bought my property, I made the decision that it was better to risk being Mr. Bad Guy right from the start rather than let issues with neighbors on my property become long-term problems. I went on a round of “introduction meetings” with my neighbors, just saying hi, etc.

And BTW, just to make sure I understand where the lines are, I’ll be marking the lines with stakes or cutting fencelines.

I only had issues with one neighbor who seemed to resent it because he had an atv trail that was on my property. Eventually, he seemed to realize he didn’t have a leg to stand on and we’re no ok with each other, we text during the season, etc.

Good fences make good nighbors.

Beast

well went to talk to them this PM, they were gone back to their cozy home in the twin cities, will try again next weekend,
    I kid you not, I get along with all my neighbors, seems every time I have a issue, it with some lake cabineer from the cities.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

well went to talk to them this PM, they were gone back to their cozy home in the twin cities, will try again next weekend,
    I kid you not, I get along with all my neighbors, seems every time I have a issue, it with some lake cabineer from the cities.

Lot’s of cabineers suck. With the notable exception of me of course. jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I kid you not, I get along with all my neighbors

Always a better idea to try and get along with your neighbors rather than start a fire, whether that’s in a rural area on hunting land or in a suburb with a yard. I am not exactly good friends with any of my neighbors but there is mutual respect. It will only get worse unless you try to resolve it. And you don’t want to live or hunt next to someone that you are constantly having a war with.

Brittman

Most firearm “accidents” in MN during deer season are within the same hunting party.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.