seasoned a old cast iron skillet

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Oooh, I just scored an old, disgusting cast iron pan for $2 at a garage sale. I can’t wait to scrape it, clean it, and see what kind of treasure I found!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hard as I try I just can’t like them much.

Timmy

Oooh, I just scored an old, disgusting cast iron pan for $2 at a garage sale. I can’t wait to scrape it, clean it, and see what kind of treasure I found!

Make a quick and easy electrolysis tank to clean it up. Super simple, extremely effective, wont touch the metal at all, and nearly effortless. I cleaned an old griddle that was in rough shape this way and all the rust and crud that was cooked into the finish from way back when just seperated and came off overnight.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Circling back on this…

I’m pretty sure that the layer of gunk on this pan was thicker than the cast iron itself, but with a bit of work, I am happy with the results. When I bought it, I thought it looked like a Griswold, but the markings were completely buried under years of crud. Turns out that my hunch was correct, and after a lot of cleaning, I am left with a pretty nice #10 Griswold. Not bad for $2!

Attachments:
    1. DSC_1667.jpg

2. DSC_1668.jpg

huntinforfish

Someone correct me if I am off base, but I believe the smooth surface everyone is after is developed after years of use. The set we use is getting better as time goes on. You can see a difference in the pans that are used most often (small and medium) and the one that is used sparingly (large). We had one passed down to us that is over 50 years old that is as smooth as can be, but I doubt it started that way. I have no doubt that you could grind the surface down initially, but I think you will get there either way with proper care.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Someone correct me if I am off base, but I believe the smooth surface everyone is after is developed after years of use.

Modern ones do get better/smoother with use, but they are not the same as older pans. Look at the handle–that wouldn’t smooth out with use.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Old ones were made relatively smooth. Modern ones like Lodge are way too rough. That is why I dont use as much but it worked well yesterday on breakfast sausage links.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

Circling back on this…

I’m pretty sure that the layer of gunk on this pan was thicker than the cast iron itself, but with a bit of work, I am happy with the results. When I bought it, I thought it looked like a Griswold, but the markings were completely buried under years of crud. Turns out that my hunch was correct, and after a lot of cleaning, I am left with a pretty nice #10 Griswold. Not bad for $2!

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

Circling back on this…

SWEET looking pan and a great find Ralph!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Old ones were made relatively smooth. Modern ones like Lodge are way too rough. That is why I dont use as much but it worked well yesterday on breakfast sausage links.

That food gade coating lodge put on their pans started flaking off on my pans so I just scraped and honed till smooth. There nice pans now.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That food gade coating lodge put on their pans started flaking off on my pans so I just scraped and honed till smooth. There nice pans now.

While I haven’t done this yet I am planning to. There are several videos on YouTube on how to do this. I’m happy with my lodge the way it is but I really want to see how it does when it’s smooth and well seasoned.

For those that don’t know, Lodge pans are well worth the money, they’re just better if you put a little work into them.

Kyhl
    Savage

I sanded smooth a small lodge pan about a month ago. My wife that I wrecked it until I scrambled her some eggs in it and showed her how they poured out of pan when finished.

Cast iron, the original non-stick. And you can use a metal spatula.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but we have the lodge pizza pan and it is freakin awesome. No fear of it cracking like the stones do. One little shake and a pizza shoots off the pan onto a cutting board.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Sounds good. I will have to do this.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.