Sealed-off Mississippi channel in St. Paul Park will reopen

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

From Today’s Pioneer Press:

Sealed-off Mississippi channel in St. Paul Park will reopen

A walled-off waterway on the Mississippi River is being reopened — cleaning the water and giving boaters a new passageway to Grey Cloud Island.
    The $1.8 million project involves building a bridge on Grey Cloud Island Drive in St. Paul Park and dredging a new 45-foot-wide channel.
    Re-establishing the natural flow through the channel will benefit the wildlife along two miles of shoreline, said Matt Moore, director of the South Washington Watershed District.
    “That is the primary goal of restoring the channel,” he said. “The navigation is a secondary benefit.” But navigation under a new bridge will be the most visible benefit to local boaters.
    The passageway was shut off during the record-breaking flood of 1965. “That was the big one,” Moore said.
    Officials watched in alarm as the river rose to endanger homes and businesses, so they sealed off the channel by dumping truckloads of rock into the river.
    That solved the immediate crisis but created another set of problems.
    The former waterway was nipped off, creating two dead ends. Those sloughs remain stagnant, and the water is often coated with algae.
    In addition, no boats can pass through. Owners of power boats, canoes and kayaks can no longer float from the main channel of the river near St. Paul Park to the inland side of Grey Cloud Island. Scum-covered and without any public access, the dead-ends are barely used by boaters.
    Moore said the district plans to dredge a 45-foot-wide channel reconnecting the waterway. He said a vessel up to 21 feet long and 6 feet off the water will be able to pass through.
    Once the water is flowing again, the fresh supply of water will eliminate the excessive algae.
    Moore said the $1.8 million project is being funded by the watershed district, Washington County and the state.
    He said work on the project will begin next year and should be finished by the end of that summer.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

This has the potential to open up a lot of new areas for pool 2 fishing!

-J.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This has the potential to open up a lot of new areas for pool 2 fishing!

-J.

I was thinking the same thing. How about giving me a tour this summer?

buschman
    Pool 2

This project is showing mixed opinions down here from some people that live on the back channel. I am 100% for it myself. I almost bought a property connection in down there just because of this project but there was no sure answer on what was going to happen at that time.

It will be neat to see what happens. There is ALOT of silt back there and will be interesting to see where it goes. We will need a lot of water to move it. Dredging is only going to give it a path.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I agree it will be interesting to see what this does downstream near Grey Cloud Island. Once one thing is changed, it will affect many others. I could see the people on the back waters not liking all the extra boat traffic with this opening. Seems like they could have just put a drain tube under the road to let new water run in to deter the algae rather than making a channel. Some may like going up river to get out the channel rather than the long trip down river to the main channel by Spring Lake.

buschman
    Pool 2

Small culvert tubes were one of the options in the plan if funding did not fall into place. I think 3 of them total. These would still have let the fish and bait move through but would not have allowed the amount of water through to actually move some of that silt build up. The goal was to open it to recreational boat traffic so happy to hear that is the direction they are going.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

It’s a Pool 2 game-changer for sure. I imagine it won’t be popular with the Grey Cloud residents when all the bass guys go charging back there in the early spring, but other than boat traffic I would think it will mostly be a positive for property owners to get that water moving. I’m excited to see what it does!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Now if they could also get that old boat ramp re-opened on Grey Cloud, that would be fantastic!

-J.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for sharing, Jon! I’m looking forward to seeing how that project turns out.

BrianF

I wonder if they will dredge the entrance to the channel there, just downstream from Lion’s Levee?? It’s pretty silted-in and makes passage difficult for even flat bottom boats when the water level is at summer pool. I’m guessing they will? Does anyone know if that is part of the overall project??

Boy, if they run out of ideas, I can think of tons of future projects for that dredging machine on Pool 2!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I highly doubt it. Most people don’t even know that channel exists. They clearly state in the article the dredging will be done down by Grey Cloud. That’s 2 + miles south.

-J.

shumpy
    Bloomington MN

Pretty good habitat back there for the bass with all that weed growth. It’ll be interesting to see if exposing that area to the usual silt and flow will remove that habitat. However, it sure would be nice not to have to run all the way around to get back there. I second the idea of getting that old launch open again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.