Sea-doo Switch

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I hope to see one in person this summer.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

They had one at the boat show. Didn’t look at it too close. An interesting concept, curious to hear how they hold up long term, lots of mesh and clear plastic and plastic overall. the modular seating idea is pretty cool though.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I know one local couple that ordered one. Money is no issue and they already have a tritoon that pushes 50mph with a 300 on back. When I was talking to them about it, they mentioned it as “an affordable boat they can leave at their cabin” as the tritoon is their daily driver here on the river.

Innovation and competition is great with the crazy demand. I hope they’re a worthwhile product. With that said, I’ll stick to the tritoon we currently have and likely the same format if we ever upgrade. I’d have to see the durability and longevity of these new rigs proven over years before I’d recommend one.

404 ERROR
    MN

My father ordered one to replace his tritoon/250. Not sure on delivery date. The price is hard to beat for what you get. My concern is the jet system on southern MN weedy lakes, where he lives. They should fly with 230hp. Saw one in person and I was impressed. The engines are proven and the “hull” design is made in similar fashion to the Spark, which is probably the best selling lake mosquito ever made.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My concern is the jet system on southern MN weedy lakes, where he lives.

That was a thought of mine, too.

Also, how do they perform at typical “pontoon” speeds, and how about engine noise?

404 ERROR
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

That was a thought of mine, too.

Also, how do they perform at typical “pontoon” speeds, and how about engine noise?

I imagine engine noise will be moot being it’s an “in-board”. The 1630 ACE engine is used in bigger mosquito’s and is relatively quiet.

I just remember when I was a kid and we had a lake mosquito on the same beach. We would start it and let it warm up on the lift. Then shut it off, swim it out past the weedline and go…I will NOT be doing so for my father with a pontoon. rotflol

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Yea, if you have to hop in the water and clear the weeds with your hand every time that seems like a deal killer in MN. You’d think they have some sort of flush mechanism build into a boat model. Looks pretty awesome otherwise.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Does anyone know the weight of these things? I think our current 23′ tritoon weighs ~3000# without the outboard, fuel, or gear. Adding that in + a load of people puts you well over 4000# running weight.

If they’re substantially less heavy than comparable tritoons, they could market efficiency and gain some leads with marina fuel prices well over $5 a gallon. A 200hp jet system run at under 10-15mph putting around on a lighter platform should not guzzle fuel.

Alagnak1

This is the clean out system they advertise that is also on the switch. I couldn’t get myself to order one before driving one so we’ll see how it plays out after this summer and IF I can find one dealer or new owner to ride with.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Thanks. I look forward to seeing a few of these out and about this summer. I can see their marketing angle as a slightly cheaper alternative to a tritoon that doesn’t sacrifice performance. With the chaos of today’s world, service/warranty issues would be my #1 concern to owning a first generation model.

It looks like they’re not substantially faster than traditional tritoons as I thought they’d be. We do about 35mph with a light load on a 23′ tritoon (with lifting strakes) and a 150hp. I’m guessing the maneuverability and nimbleness of them is where you will see the distinct differences. For tritoons to get more of a nimble feel with lifting strakes, skinned decks, 200+hp etc. you’re talking about a lot more of an investment than these.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.