Oahe Fishing Question Part II

• Wagnerfish

I am planning a fishing trip to Lake Oahe for walleye this spring/summer and was wondering what time/month would be the best to increase the odds of good fishing. Will either be staying at Indian Creek campground by Mobridge or West Whitlock campground by Pierre depending on suggestions. Thanks in advance to all for your help.

jerry b
    western WI

hiya-a belated welcome to IDO-My personal choice is West Whitlocks. Mobridge has too many spring tournaments to compete with. . . jerr

Wagnerfish

If a person were to go to West Whitlocks, what time of year would be good for planning….early June?

redneck
    Rosemount

Never fished that area so I am of no use to you. If Walleyehunter sees this I am sure he can give you some information. Not sure how often he jumps in here but you might try sending him a PM. Heck of a nice guy and a wealth of Oahe knowledge!

jerry b
    western WI

I try to be home by June 1. Last year I stayed the first week of June, the weather was warming fast and the water had risen about a foot so the fishing started getting spotty- – jerr

boos1906

I personally would shoot for the second week in june. We went to the pierre area last year about that time and did very well. We had 3 boats and caught 80 some keepers in two days of fishing. We had some real nice fish. Proablly six or so of those were over 20 inches with the two biggest fish bein just under 27 inches.

walleyehunter
    Melrose, WI

Mobridge is a great place for ice fishing and early Spring, but as the season goes on I tend to stay away from that area. In early June the fish are typically just South of Whitlock. My best guess is they would be approaching the Sutton Bay area. The mouth of Joe Creek is always go to spot as well, just find the mud lines

Shoot me a PM anytime. Also, shoot me a PM a week or so before you take off and I will find out where the bite is for you.

KeithGourneau
    Pierre, SD

Hi, if you want to come in June the whole month is great for walleye, salmon, smallmouth and cats. A suggestion, in the Pierre area we have some of the nicest campgrounds in the state. there are some of the best right below the dam with restaraunt, marina, bait shop right there. On this lower part of Oahe the water will be cooler than up by Whitlocks on north, so the walleyes will still be shallow and is great fishing pitching jigs into shore. You can trailer up to Cow Creek or Spring Creek and fish from there. Or you can trailer farther up to Little Bend and go across the lake and fish the mouth of the Cheyenne River area which is where the best bite on the lake happens in May and June. Lots of big open water on the lower end of the lake, you don’t have to worry about hitting any trees. Also, if the wind would blow to hard to get out on the lake you can go below the dam and fish the river which can also be awsome fishing in June.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.