Scratched Eye Screwed up the day….sort of.

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It started out like any other day. Up at 5 am, walked out to the truck about 6:10 with a quick look and Ol’ Man River.

Just a few moments at work and it felt like there was an eye lash under my eye lid. Stings, nose runs and tears start flowing. Washed out the eye several times to no avail. Then a co worker say it’s swelling up. Figured since there wasn’t anyone else around I’ll have to call the clinic to see if they can remove the wayward eye lash.

I was very happy when the clinic said I could get in within 1/2 hour.

The nurse practitioner numbed the eye, dyed it and reported a nice scratch across the cornea. Nothing else to be found. Codeine, ointment eye patch and sleep prescribed for the rest of the day.

Canceled the cat trip for the evening because…well try driving with one eye sometime. It’s not impossible, but it sure is different and I wasn’t about to be boating with a client with one eye.

I thought about going to the WI Conservation Congress to follow up on the closing of the winter flathead season and lowering the excessive flathead limit on the WI side of the river, but again it wasn’t worth driving to Onalaska with one eye.

I made the weekend howdy-rounds at Everts and had a quick burger at the Bluffs before heading back to the Resort. When I arrived back, the river was calling my name. Glass smooth, windless night and very nice temperatures. I felt good and I couldn’t resist the urge to putt down to a cat area I wanted to try for a long time.

Hooked up the boat, stopped at the bait shop and loaded up 4 jumbo suckers and off to the landing I went. It must have been after 11 pm by this time.

It was one of those magical nights. The Merc was purring with it’s normal 2-stroke hiccups running at 3700 rpm cutting the mirror finish of the river. The CD play was softly playing the only hit The Amazing Cherrybombs had.

Tossed out the ol river anchor and notice how slow the flow was from what we’ve been use to this year. One more positive check mark on the list. I tossed out one jumbo sucker and one Sudden Impact rod. As I was launching the stink bait down stream I notice the line of the sucker rod wasn’t in the right position. I thought for a moment the current was moving the sucker to the left of the boat. It happens when a large bait lifts the 4 oz sinker off the bottom occasionally.

Since I just put the bait in the water, I was a little annoyed that I had to check the bait so quickly. I was looking forward to kicking back and deleting a huge amount of emails off of my cell phone while enjoying the stars and the almost full moon. The line was heading for my stink bait line so I pulled that one back in.

I reeled down on the sucker. I felt the weight and thought “must be stuck on the bottom that’s heavier then that sucker”. Hoping to free the hook I gave ‘er the onions. Whoa!! That sucker just got bigger!!

Now I’m using the Team Catfish I-Cat carbon fiber rod. It’s extremely powerful, has the sensitivity of the best graphite rods but yet this fish felt odd. For a few moments I thought I had hooked the 16 pound anchor and what I was thinking was tail movements or head shakes was just the anchor in the current. You know, Lift the anchor
    off the bottom and the current makes it flutter side to side.

Just as fast as that thought when through my head, this fish decided to give ME the onions.

So there I am, holding on with both hands looking at the net in the front of the boat that I would need to grab and extend at some point…just not yet. Did I hook this fish in the tail? Is it going to make 50 pounds? These I-Cats really bend. Why am I working so hard, there’s almost zero snags here. Why isn’t Mary here to feel this pain???? (inside joke)

I’m not sure how long it took to get her up to the top, but by the time I extended the net and saw her for the first time, the cool evening turned out to be very warm.

When I lifted her over the side of the boat I made another mental note. “BK, you’re getting old”. Quick lift of the fish in the net shows a whisker over 50 pounds. Subtract 3 pounds for the net and we’ll settle on 47 pounds worth of onions. She was released of course to pester the winter walleye anglers.

I had the foresight to bring along the camera and tripod, but not enough experience to focus the camera on the seat prior to hitting the 10 second start button. Looked good in the boat but just a little blurry. Good thing she’s large enough to over come my screw up.

Not another bite in the next 1.5 hours, but you know, that was ok by me. Cleaned up the cell phone and headed back in. The resort was quiet as normal for 1:30 am. Plugged in the boat and rested my eye for what was left of the fantastically gorgeous night.

The day sure didn’t go as planned but there are times things turn out much better then what’s planned.

Attachments:
    1. DSC04490.jpg

2. no-heat-217x355.jpg

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Nice going Brian, way to make the best of one eye !

BTW.. what do you say to yourself to get yourself to smile like that ?

Oh never mind I dont think I really want to know do I !

Again Nice Flathead !!

Now off to my sons wedding !

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Nice Job BK!

Hope it wasn’t your snake charming eye you scratched. )

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Nice job on a great cat and thanks for sharing the story.

Dave

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Bk..BK..BK..

When life hands you the chance to wear an eye patch while fishing catfish at night you take it.

PS Nice fish!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Bk..BK..BK..

When life hands you the chance to wear an eye patch while fishing catfish at night you take it.

PS Nice fish!

You beat me to it. As I was scrolling down I was getting so excited to see BK with an eye patch.

Nice fish, great story.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As a humorous follow up…

I was out from 10 to 2 am last night using live suckers, cut sucker and dip bait… nary a nibble.

As rcr (River Cat Randy) would say, it’s fish being fish.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I just returned from the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and they have many legendary guides on the wall there and I noticed several of them had eye patches on.

desperado

that one little nugget of brutal honesty embedded in a fish-story … “BK, you’re gettin’ old”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks for reminding me Santa.

mstrumar

Why isn’t Mary here to feel this pain???? (inside joke)

Of course I wouldn’t be there for this, you would have had an open seat for me and catch a fish of a lifetime that would have beat my PB, Why on earth would I be there for that? the one weekend of the summer that we couldn’t come up. :'(

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Catching a 50 lber is a life goal of mine. Not quite there yet, but it sure is fun to check out the guys who have. Way to go BK and if I’m not mistaken that is #2 over 50 for you. Purely awesome.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Let’s not make Mary feel worse then she does…

It was 47 pounds after subtracting the net. )

There is no describing the feeling of seeing a client land a 50 pound fish, hell, a 40 pound fish puts a big smile on my face when I go to bed at night.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

As a humorous follow up…

I was out from 10 to 2 am last night using live suckers, cut sucker and dip bait… nary a nibble.

As rcr (River Cat Randy) would say, it’s fish being fish.

I guess you could say its still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

<doah!>

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishbloodrivermud wrote:</div>
    They’re fun over 50!

The guides?

LOL nice.

I’ve been blessed enough to catch a 47×29 (Last year) and a 46×31.5 (year before last) Both over 50 according to the charts. Both woke me from my sleep – one at 1:30 am (9″ Creek Chub)the other at 9:00 am (Whole Shad). Neither i was expecting.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut if he looks long enough, but i think this blind squirrel will have to look for a while before luck runs his way again. I catch them after KOTC ends D

Great story BK. Seems like you can never plan when your going to catch a monster!! I can remember the everything about each of those two catches though, and the hours of grinning afterwards! Same goes for the PB’s that guests catch in the boat – can’t forget their faces and reactions!

Phil caught a 50″ last year. WOuld have loved to see that one!

mr-special
    MPLS

congrats bud
    so ur really sayin u hurt urself to get out of wrk to go fishing lol

andy,
    last yrs fish was 47″x28″ might have been the twin to your fish but i handed the rod over. so i actually didnt catch it just set the hook. if i had known it was a 50+, fish i might have not handed the rod over. i really gotta quit handing rods over. lol
    actually its all good cz i love watching others get there but kicked by big fish =)

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

actually its all good cz i love watching others get there but kicked by big fish =)

Gotcha, i was thinking it was a 50 for some reason.

That is fun huh!

I try to get them guests to pull so hard the rod breaks ) Then I try to keep myself from wetting my pants from laughing so hard while they’re trying to pull it in with half a rod haha. No wimpy rods allowed in my boat. Hate pulling anchor or reeling up other lines cuz someone’s playing a fish. Horse em!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Couple weeks ago I had the drag tightened down like I always do when fishing wood.

My guest set the hook and the next thing I knew she was on her knees with the rod at LEAST half in the water! I’m not sure when it was that I laughed that hard although I was concerned that I was about to lose a rod.

Her face was less then two feet from the waters surface and it was only a 26 pound fish. I considered all the options and loosened the drag a bit. One of those time where I wish it was recorded on video. <devil>

Then there was the time a fella bought a donated trip for St Judes Childrens Reaserch. He was horsing the mule in and my rod did break. Being an avid walleye fisherman he gave up. Later he told me that when a rod breaks with a walleye, it’s normally lost.
    Not so with a flathead. I told him to get the line off the side of the boat and REEL! If I recall, the line was coming right off the reel.

The good thing was that the flat was right under the boat and “all he had to do” was raise ‘er up to the surface.

Mark breaks the rod

and his fish….

50 + pounds I think.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Bk..BK..BK..

PS Nice fish!

….Still laughing about that one….

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My buddies first Sturg from last year.
    I told him don’t bring any wimpy rods lol
    So he breaks his wife’s rod.

Attachments:
    1. full-26433-37745-img951805_1.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! If a guy has to break a rod, the best one to break is your wife’s.

Did it make a puff of white smoke when it snapped? )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I made sure to tell his wife that she deserves a GOOD rod!

White puff…I don’t know, i about fell over when it snapped from laughing so hard.

We had 3 guys in the boat. Wind was buck’n 30+. 6 Lines out, two anchors. Not pulling up lines unless i think it’s high 50″r.
    We caught 6 fish i believe, two a piece – before they left at midnight; which was right before a big storm rolled in. I put on my rain gear, collected some shad, got back to fishing about 3am and proceeded to have the best night of fishing of my life; getting almost zero sleep until 3pm the next day when i decided i was shot and left the river, after catching 60 fish (30 Sturg, 5 Flats [INcluding a 50#r], dozen or so monster channels and some sheeps) Wind bucked 30+ the whole time, not another soul on the river the entire time until late morning. Memorable night – Broken rod fish was only 45″ BTW. Think it was a “King Cat” rod or something like that – probably good for channels but sturgeon, not so much.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Is it safe to tell the wife I’m going fishing with “Ol Captain One Eye” without getting punched?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

That was a good night!

Old Mil, let us know how the conversation goes…pictures would be good. )

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.