Saylorville Reservoir, IA 9-12-04

• dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

It was a four species day on Saylorville. 40+ white bass, 1 hybrid striper, 1 smallmouth bass and 4 largemouth (all dinks). Boat went in the water at 7am and fishing was a bit slow until about 10 when the wind picked up. In the calmer water, we would find 4 or 5 whites in quick order but then the school would move off. When the wind finally picked up it swept the shad into the little bays and sandbars. The whites followed and we were able to drop anchor and fish. It was non-stop action until we pulled up anchor an hour later.

Two casts in my six year old does what his old man has been trying to do all day; land a hybrid striper on an ultralight. This fish had obviously been caught before and had suffered some jaw damage but was otherwise healthy. A big THANKS to the angler who returned this fish to the water and gave my son a great memory instead of throwing it in the bottom of a stinkin 5 gallon bucket. My son returned the favor; the fish is still in the Ville and will hopefully be a trophy someday.

Photo with the camo jacket is the hybrid; the other is a white bass. Two best lures were (of course) silver Kastmaster and a “hammered” Daredevil silver spoon of the same size. I got a lot more hits on the initial fall of the Daredevil; apparently they like the slower drop relative to the Kastmaster.

The smallie was my first for Saylorville and was caught mixed in the small largemouths.

Just for kicks I tried a different ramp: Cherry Glen. No problem putting it a 7am but it was a circus trying to pull out at 11:30. One dock for 4 ramps and someone was tied up to it, spending the morning working on a motor. I’m going back to Lakeview. I could use the long walk anyway….

Go fish,

Dave

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

great post, still waiting on my son’s first fish, at 4 he still has time I’m impatient.

PatP

Fished the Lakeview area Sunday evening (5:00 to 7:30) and came up with 3 largemouth and 1 bluegill. All on a white Spence Scout, right up against the rip-rap. Trolled for whites for about and hour but nothing.

Niteeye
    Nashua,Iowa

My buddies and I fished cherry glen on Tuesday with non stop action from 8 to 2:30. We had to catch 200 fish. Cleaned 40. Silver 1/8oz Kastmasters were the ticket but when the schools were active tiny torpedos made for great topwater action. I am taking the family there this weekend.Hope the action continues. See ya J.D.

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

How is the bite around Jester park I will be camping up there the weekend of the 25th.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Hi Darrin,

If you are going to be that close, drive over to the north shore, anywhere south of the bridge down to Cherry Glen. Not that you cant catch anything up at Jester, but the north shore tends to get more action.

As far as your 4 year old goes… when my son was that age and we went fishing together, I would cast and set the hook then hand over the rod. Somehow in his mind, that meant that he caught the fish. I still sometimes do that as his casting skills are better but sometimes not good enough to reach the fish.

Have fun,
    Dave

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

Thanks Dave I may scoot up there Sunday afternoon if I can sneak out and give it a try.

dm5000
    Des Moines, IA

Darrin,

Im going to try to get out there on the boat on Sunday. If either my family and fishing partner bow out I will have an open spot. If you will have a cell phone with you, email me the number. I will probably be out there somewhere around 8-12..

Dave

nirrad
    Des Moines, Iowa

I have Church in the morning till noon, it’ll probably be closer to 1 before I can make it out.

You should have my Cell # on the CIA mailing list, but I’ll send it anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.