Salmo Zipper vs. Chubby Darter lures ??

• rickwalley

Hey Guys……..
    What’s the difference, as far as ice fishing jigging for walleyes? I thought I was buying a Chubby Darter, but accidentally walked out with a Zipper. Is there enough of a difference to take back the Zipper?

Also, regardless of which model, which size is most common to use for eyes?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Personally, I use my zipper to protect and contain my chubby. As for size, I am told that size doesn’t matter. But I am suspicious of where that information comes from.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

JD that is one of the funniest statements I’ve heard in a while.

gimp

Hey JD ask your wife if size matters.

darkstar72
    Chicago Suburbs

The Zipper has rattles. It would be fished much the same as the Ripping Raps.

The Darter has no rattle chamber and when you jig it the bait “swims” and darts. It will go well outside my flasher’s cone and then “swim” back to center.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

rotflol

Personally, I use my zipper to protect and contain my chubby. As for size, I am told that size doesn’t matter. But I am suspicious of where that information comes from.

rotflol rotflol rotflol
    That response is frickin hilarious!
    Hit my funny bone big time with that on JD

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

JD wins with his response, but I’ll say that I have tried both and have yet to catch a goddamn fish with either.
    They sit in my tackle box and will likely never be used again, unless the IDO guys start using them and catching wicked loads with them.

darkstar72
    Chicago Suburbs

JD wins with his response, but I’ll say that I have tried both and have yet to catch a goddamn fish with either.
    They sit in my tackle box and will likely never be used again, unless the IDO guys start using them and catching wicked loads with them.

I agree JD’s response was hilarious!

My spoons sat in my tackle box too (until I lost that box). I would never use them so they never caught….except one small perch in a small lake.

When the bite got tough one day and my marmooska style jigs stopped producing I put on a Zipper in a perch pattern and started catching big crappies and a good sized bass. You’ll see that Zipper in his mouth in my profile pic.

http://darkstar72.blogspot.com/2014/02/rippin-lips-with-zipper.html?m=1

Unless the IDO guys get sponsored by Salmo I doubt they’ll be using the Chubby Darter or the Zipper. As any sponsored show/angler has to do they fish the sponsor’s product. This isn’t bad, it’s how the show and the hosts make a living.

IDO uses Strikemaster augers; John Gillespie uses Jiffy. If Jiffy sponsored IDO they’d be using Jiffy. Refer to last season when Slender Spoons and other Custom Jigs and Spins offerings were all IDO guys fished with; now it’s Rapala/VMC.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Wharf Rat… if you’re short on space you can store those in my tacklebox.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Wharf Rat… if you’re short on space you can store those in my tacklebox.

I’ll cut you a great deal on them!

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Hahaha!! Sorry but I think the chubby would lose in the zipper vs. chubby battle. As far as fishing I have had very little luck with the chubby darters. I recently bought a rip n rap, very little success thus far also. Maybe I need to give them more of a chance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.