Saginaw show

• barrelslime
    Illinois

What is with all the lights flashing on the horizon?

munchy
    NULL

Could it have been the shipping lane?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I saw that too? Was wondering if I was just seeing things? Enjoyed the show still. Sounds like there will be a nice “big” fishery there soon. Not sure I’ll get there but James and the show promised an every year episode, so that will be something to look forward to.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Maybe…? But no shipping going through now, it’s covered in ice. Would they have shipping channel lights on now with the ice cap? Almost looked like it was the shoreline…now I’m curious?

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Munchy wrote:</div>

Maybe…? But no shipping going through now, it’s covered in ice. Would they have shipping channel lights on now with the ice cap? Almost looked like it was the shoreline…now I’m curious?

Ice breakers work the Great Lakes throughout the winter. And even without ice breakers, if they turned off the lights in the winter and a snowmobile hit one there could be a lawsuit. It’s possibly cheaper to just keep them running.

No idea what it is just throwing out some ideas.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

The red simultaneous flashing red lights I think were from an electric generating wind farm. (windmills)

disco bobber

The red simultaneous flashing red lights I think were from an electric generating wind farm. (windmills)

I got a few wind farms near me and they all blink red on and off simultaneously like that.

Y2ba
    Michigan

Skeeter is correct. Wind farms on the east side of the bay.

munchy
    NULL

Oh yes, I knew the simultaneous lights looked familiar. And a bit of googl’in tells me the eastern side of Saginaw (or the Thumb) is covered in wind generators. Even saw one story from 2008 talking about an offshore wind farm was in the works. No idea if that ever came to fruition however.

Jim Kosinski

From the southern corner of the bay all the up the east side we have scattered wind farms

jld
    Holmen

Larry Smith who guides The north central and eastern parts of WI aired a show on FSN about 2-3 weeks ago from Saginaw. Unbelievable the fish they were catching and keeping. I was surprised they would keep fish in that mid 20’s but the IDO guys kind of re-inforced that with their show. I have never met Larry but he seems like a straight up guy who wouldn’t be keeping fish of this magnitude if it wasn’t encouraged by the MI DNR. Sounds like a fantastic fishery right now.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Jld, I was over there last week 12-14th and was surprised also. They raised the limit on walleyes and reduced the perch limit due to the walleye boom. The fishing was good for us, we were in the 23-25 fow. By day 3 the fish were moving and the guide and many others were moving to find them. Although our bite wasn’t as good as it was a couple of days earlier we still had lots of good action. They had just gotten a foot of snow and the bite changed from a good all day bite to lots of action early and late.

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

I am lucky enough to live 2 hours from Sag Bay. Fished it lots from a boat but this year was the first I felt safe getting out to the walleye grounds on the ice. Sag bay is pretty shallow for it’s size…it was a 6.5 mile run to 24fow for me out of Linwood. There are soooo many eyes in that system, min length is 13″ and with a daily bag limit of 8 it makes for good fishing. Here is a pic from my 1/26/18 trip…eye limit plus a 12″ perch and a white bass. Largest eye went 23″.

Attachments:
    1. Sag-Bay_Ice1.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I watched Larry’s show also. They kept their limits but put a lot of fish back down the hole. The limit has been 8 fish for the last 3 years from what I have been told. MDNR says there are too many fish for the available forage. That is why the increase in bag limit. Not sure but I think there is no possession limit. If that is the case it means if you buy a 3 day license and fish 3 days you can keep 8 walleyes per day and take 24 home.

Jim Kosinski

I watched Larry’s show also. They kept their limits but put a lot of fish back down the hole. The limit has been 8 fish for the last 3 years from what I have been told. MDNR says there are too many fish for the available forage. That is why the increase in bag limit. Not sure but I think there is no possession limit. If that is the case it means if you buy a 3 day license and fish 3 days you can keep 8 <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes per day and take 24 home.

Possession limit is 3 times the daily bag limit

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Here’s the light holders

Attachments:
    1. 20180211_180817.jpg

ozzyky
    On water

Seen a local report that the ice is breaking up already out there and someone went through. Crazy how a week can change things.

Jim Kosinski

Numerous men are going through and getting stranded on the wrong side of the crack, there was a rescue yesterday morning while I was out, the cracked opened to over 4 ft in spots and has got worse today, 60 degree temps and down pour for the past 24 hours

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mxskeeter wrote:</div>
    I watched Larry’s show also. They kept their limits but put a lot of fish back down the hole. The limit has been 8 fish for the last 3 years from what I have been told. MDNR says there are too many fish for the available forage. That is why the increase in bag limit. Not sure but I think there is no possession limit. If that is the case it means if you buy a 3 day license and fish 3 days you can keep 8 <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleyes per day and take 24 home.

Possession limit is 3 times the daily bag limit

Thanks for the clarification Jim. My info came 3rd hand and I never looked it up because I wasn’t going to get to Sag Bay to fish.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

This show rocked. Audio stuff sounded really good, multiple personalities, and James seems to be pretty happy to be out finally.

Really like the insight this round. More times than not many of us here have tough outings. How to be able to learn from those tough trips makes all us better fisherman just as much as the successful trips.

Good to see ya back toast

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.