Norris Lake 12-16 report

• dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

Well, decided since I fly out of town tomorrow for the week (going to Lynchburg, VA… no ice there from what I understand), I would get on a local lake for a couple hours.

I have never fished this lake before, but always seen a handful of houses out there through-out the winter. I decided to give it a shot. From my understanding, the lake has decent Northern, Sunnies and Crappies. So that is what I set up for. I set up a tip-up in about 8 FOW and dropped a small sucker. I had talked to someone earlier in the day who said the Northern were just not biting. So, a small presentation is what I gave them. Unfortunately, no takers on the tip-up today.

In the house, I used my st croix legend with a genz work tipped with a waxie. As soon as I dropped it in the water… the Marcum lit up like a christmas tree. And that right there explains about the whole couple of hours. I pulled in about 50 or so sunnies… all but 1 were what I would consider “bait”. Like I said… I did manage 1 that wasn’t too bad… but considering the size of the fish I was pulling, I figured it would take days to put together a meal. So back in the hole it went.

I did manage to pull in one token Large-mouth carp (bass). Not too bad, measured about 12 inces or so. I am not much into eating rough fish, so back down the hole she went. For the 3 hours or so I was there, lots of action… but the excitment wears off quickly when you are just unhooking bait.

Ice Conditions: improving but still spotty. ice was anywhere between 4 inches solid with 5 inches slush ice to 8 inches of SOLID ice where there is no snow-pack.

Good Fishing!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for the report Dave. I can’t believe there is still as little as 4″ of ice on the local lakes. I’m hoping to get out this weekend somewhere around home. Maybe I’ll stumble on one of these little lakes that is full of nice crappies.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.