Rum River draw down?

• muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

I noticed that the Rum River (Anoka) was way down from what it was a couple of weeks ago. Is that draw down on purpose for one reason or another?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Rum or Mississippi? I noticed the Miss. was way down. I am guessing they are working on the Coon Rapids dam again.

ScottPugh
    Rogers / Grand Rapids

I assume it has to do with them opening the Coon Rapids dam. The Mississippi near Dayton two weeks ago was really flowing. I haven’t been back so I don’t know how the water level has been affected.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I think the reason for drawing downt the Rum is so they can clear the debris (logs) off the dam!!! Looks cool driving over Rum right now cause you can see all the rip rap available for catching smallies and wallys!!!!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Every fall they draw down the pool above the Coon Rapids dam for the winter, in expectation of a wet spring. They usually take it down about 6 feet. It is really interesting to try and get out there after they are done and actually look at what kind of structure is adjacent to shore. The other thing the low water does is stack the fish up in some very specific areas. If you go be careful. The first two miles south of champlin is all about 1.5 to 2.5 feet. Easy to float down, almost impossible to get back up.

neverhome
    Anoka county

Yep, they do it every year (not sure why). They did it last monday. If you are willing to put a boat in the rum the fishing can be fantastic with all the fish packed into the few small holes.

Good luck

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Just to let anyone who wants some info. My brother has been up there twice in the last week; once from canoe and once from shore. He’s caught nearly ten smallies over 4 lbs. on his last two trips! I might just have to join him next time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.