Pacu

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Yesterday I went fishing at my local Snakehead hole in Thailand. We have been getting a lot of rain lately so the lakes are high and the rivers are ripping. The fishing was tough because of the high water uless you fish with a net like the locals.

High water means good fishing to the locals

The classic Lift-net is very popular here.

The Thais love to eat small fish.

Because fishing was poor for us anglers we went looking for another spot. We got a tip from someone about a paypond nearby so we gave that a try.

For $1 / pole I set all 3 poles that I had with me out.

Nile Tilapia was the most common catch so after a few of them I started to experiment with different baits.

Worms produced another new species of Walking Catfish for me.

I was told there were several species represented including Pacu which are an introduced species from South America. After watching one get caught I really wanted to catch one. The person that caught it was using pineapple for bait. So now we’re dealing with a fruit eater. This was new to me since I have never fished with fruit for bait before.

I didn’t have any pineapple with me but my buddy brought a bunch of “Lum Nyai” (I don’t know the name in English) with him which is a delicious Thai fruit that is currently in season. I thought I would give that a try. If them Pacu like pineapple I reasoned, they must like the sweet flesh of the Lum Nyai.

It didn’t take long to prove my theory that Lum Nyai catches Pacu. The Pacu is in the Pirrahna family and likes to eat fruit and nuts. Their mouth is built like a vise grips for cracking fruits, nuts, and seeds.

I ended up catching 3 Pacu in the few hours I was there and they put up a magnificent fight on a pole.

The Lum Nyai are very cheap and abundant while in season. They are one of my favorites to eat too.

Pacu must have a sweet tooth because the flesh of the Lum Nyai is very sweet. There is a hard seed at the core of the fruit.

It’s about time for some new lifelisters.

I wouldn’t put your finger near those teeth. The teeth are similar in shape to human teeth.

bts
    Centuria, Wi.

I always look forward to your posts, very interesting!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

I always look forward to your posts, very interesting!

I’m with him

I always love the pictures

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

It is always nice to see your posts both the description and pictures are top notch.
    Have you tried that lift net? I would bet your back would get very strong fishing that method after a few days.

Quote:

The Thais love to eat small fish.

I would guess that the smaller they are the faster they dry. I know in Korea they dry their sardines. Myself I like them straight out of the can on a cracker, maybe with a little mustard.
    Do you think that walking catfish has a striking resemblance to the eel pout with a smaller head?

deertracker

Great as always. I also look forward to your posts.
    DT

rushing
    Mn

Fun to read posts as always! Thanks!

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

Very cool! I sure like reading about all your adventures. Good stuff mister.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Did you keep any pacu? Looks like you could get monster fillets off those things.

ezwalt
    MN

C&B, thanks for taking the time and sharing

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Did you keep any pacu? Looks like you could get monster fillets off those things.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

I had to let them all go but I just bought about 50 baby Paco for $5. I’m not sure what I will do with them yet besides observe them. I have an outdoor tank where they will go for now. I heard they were delicious though. What you would expect from a fruit eater?

stuart
    Mn.

Keep the reports coming in and let us know how they taste.
    Your living a dream life and I love your reports.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.