Metro carp

• sanka

Anyone have any tips for a hot carp lake in the metro?

I got a couple out of Nokomis last week, but I’ve been skunked my last few outings on Calhoun, Isles and Normandale. Just took up the hobby this year and I’m hooked, despite getting only a couple on my hook. Any general locations on the shore would really help too.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

Right after ice out was pretty good in the shallows. It’s been slow on the lakes since then. Give it a couple weeks and the lakes should be poppin’! Isles is an excellent choice as there are some true monsters in there. The Mighty Mississip’ is probably your best chance right now for metro carp. Just look for any slack water areas or culverts with current coming in and you should be able to hook up with a few here and there. Sometimes they are in the mood for crawlers and sometimes corn, experiment a little bit and you should be rewarded. If you have any further questions just ask.

sanka

I’m a little wary of river fishing, I much prefer lakes. I generally run with 6lb flouro or 8lb mono. Getting any fish over 5-6 lbs in the current around now and I’d never get it in. I think I’ll try Isles tomorrow again. Maybe the long north finger of it. That’s always looked like a carp spot to me.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I’ve been meaning to try Isles but have not ventured there yet this year. On the East side of the North arm there’s a culvert…. Give that a shot with some good ol’ corn. Let us know how you do. It should be ready to go any day now there. GOOD LUCK! May the carp gods shine on you! I’m hitting a North Metro spot tomorrow myself, might be a tad bit early but I’ll post back as well.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I can suggest a little ‘secret lake’. If you want to shore fish, Locke Lake in Fridley is pretty good. It is an impoundment of Rice Creek about 1/8th mile upstream of the river right off East River Road. Been pounding carp there for the past 2 weeks.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

I can suggest a little ‘secret lake’. If you want to shore fish, Locke Lake in Fridley is pretty good. It is an impoundment of Rice Creek about 1/8th mile upstream of the river right off East River Road. Been pounding carp there for the past 2 weeks.

Sush! Just kidding. The creek has been doing good too along with the rapids dam.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I had a mess of bites at my spot near the CR dam. I was fishing for suckers and carp with crawlers, but I got a channel instead. Constant nips at the crawler and I didn’t have a lot of time, so I regret not pinching the crawler down which would have probably led to more fish.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Try a floating jig head with a bit of worm Pug

sanka

I’ve had no luck so far on Isles or Calhoun. I have had a bit of luck on Nokomis and Lower Penn though. Been out there a few times, and when I can keep the bullheads off my corn, I have been catching carp. On Nokomis they all seem to be the 24″ 7-8lb version, and Penn have been smaller.

Still hoping to tie into a big fat one one of these days.

sanka

I’ve been out a few times this week. I got skunked on Calhoun, Isles and Cedar lakes. Had a nice bite and had my line take off on Isles, but no hook, that was the only action.

Went out on Nokomis this morning. Sat there for about 3 hours in a little protected bay on the west side, but didn’t even get a bite. Moved over to my normal spot on the east side, took a nice 20-30mph wind to the face. Within 30 minutes I landed 3 nice carp. All around 25″. Great fighting on 6lb line.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.