Targeting Predators in Thailand

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I was in Bangkok yesterday fishing at my favorite pond and was able to add 2 new lifelisters and almost had a 3rd. Instead of the normal bread-baits for different catfish and carp species I thought I would try for the carnivores that dwell here. So I armed myself with 2 dozen Goldfish and went fishing. My target was the Black-ear Catfish and anything else that would eat a 3-4 inch Goldfish.

I caught 2 Marbled Gobies about the same size. I was told that the Marble Goby is the largest species in the Goby family. These fish relate to the bottom more and took the baits set near the bottom.

The other Carnivore that was caught was an introduced species from the Amazon: the Arapaima. I have been wanting to catch one of these for a long time now. This one happens to be a small one for the species but I was not complaining. Arapaima can exceed 300 lbs. easily.

The missed species was a Barramundi that I had lost Dock-side by the line getting cut. These things are very fast fighters in the water; very Bass-like.

Overall, it was a very productive and I learned several things about rigging and fighting these different species.

It’s not illegal to use Goldfish for bait here. What else am I going to use? They don’t sell sucker minnow here.

The Marbled Goby has cool markings on it.

Arapaima (aka Pirarachu) has a red color under its scales especially towards the tail.

dan-thiem
    Zumbro Falls Mn.

So cool! I really enjoy your reports! Such great writing and awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing them. I always look forward to your adventures. Keep it up!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Very cool pictures!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Very cool! Keep em coming.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Those things are sweet!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Very cool picts.

That goby looks like a football crossed with a sauger.

Jami

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks again for the report. Neat but strange looking fish. Do you think the people over there would view our fish as strange looking.

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

I always look forward to your posts!

When are you hosting the SE Asian IDO gtg?!

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Won’t ever tire of your posts castandblast. Incredible pics!

ezwalt
    MN

Thanks for sharing (Again) C&B

Stay safe

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Is the tail missing in that one picture?

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

When are you hosting the SE Asian IDO gtg?!

Hey, anytime you guys want to come out and fish with me, you are welcome. I would enjoy the English speaking company.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Is the tail missing in that one picture?

The tail is red so it looks like the tail is cut off in that one pic but it isn’t. It’s just curled over.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Wow – I totally had to do a double take! Nice picture!

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

Way cool!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Dude, I watched a show on TLC or Discovery the other night called Megafish of the Amazon. The guy was after giant pirarachu! It was awesomes. They grow to 15 ft in length!!! They got a 4-footer and a 6-footer. Looked pretty awesome.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Ha, I watched the same show. He then went to the Mekong River to find giant cats and fresh water stingrays. He got loaded with the locals the one night and was worthless the next day. I could relate…

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

He got loaded with the locals the one night and was worthless the next day. I could relate…

Sturgeon Excursion???

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

I am familiar with the Megafish project. I had to purchase the series. It is very cool.

If you want to watch some good Arapaima (or Pirarachu depending on where you are from) fishing, check out Larry Dahlberg’s videos.

I literally live less than a mile from the Mekong River. I finally found a great spot on the Mekong to bank fish. I tried it last saturday and got nothing in a half day of fishing but there was another guy fishing there who caught one of those Twisted Jaws that I recently posted. I broke down the learning curve a little and now I can’t wait until this saturday. I hope to have a good post for you guys.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Good Luck C&B. I love reading your posts, keep them coming

audemp
    Wi

It would be cool C+B if you could post some vids on youtube. IDO should make a forum just for you and exotics.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

It would be cool C+B if you could post some vids on youtube. IDO should make a forum just for you and exotics.

I have thought of hiring someone to do some video for me when I go to Nam Ngum.

I have been asking for an International forum. I have other sites I post on too like http://www.nt-fishing.com

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.