Flip-flop Flies

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Hey Guys,

I finally got out fishing again and this time we stayed at a private resort in Thailand. Next to the resort lies about a 20 acre pond just full of fish. There were Barbs, Tilapia, Goldfish, and who knows what else. In fact, they sell floating food pellets to feed the fish there.

You can imagine my desire to soak a line and catch one of these un-fished willing biters. I was not sure that I could get permission to fish there so I had to play the “dumb foreigner” here. You know the “Me no speak Thai” foreigner. Trust me, it has gotten me out of more than one traffic ticket. I figured it was easier to play dumb and ask for forgiveness than to get refused permission so I didn’t ask.

This would be the perfect application for the pocket fishing pole. Because I lacked a collapsible rod, stealth here was the key. There was a dock to a gazebo out on the water and it was the perfect spot to wet a line while remaining hidden. I just had to give it a try.

First of all, I had to duplicate those fish pellets somehow. So, I carved out some rubber-like foam from my flip-flops and stuck a hook through them. They floated just like the real thing. The only thing different was they were black in color and had a hook pierced through the center of them.

Would the fish take my “Flip-flop Fly?” Hey I think this is a new invention?

I started to throw some real bait out into the water and the fish started coming in just like puppy dogs. There was a mad feeding frenzy on the surface of the water right by my feet. I then put my newly designed “Flip-flop Fly” into the water and what do you know, it was a hit. Some veered clear at the last minute but many had been fooled by the “Flip-flop Fly.”

Here is one of many Java Barbs caught on the Flip-flop Fly. Hey, it’s a new lifelister for me too.

I continued fishing and saw even bigger fish coming in and they were feeding differently.

Here is a good sized Nile Tilapia I caught.

I then caught this Hybrid Tilapia. It is called a Blotched Red Tilapia.

They next morning I got up early for another stealthy fishing expedition and caught many more.

Here is an even bigger Java Barb.

Then I tied into this super Giant Tilapia that was slurping up bait like it was candy. He put up a good fight for hand fish with a line. I think I finally found a great use for a pocket fishing pole.

stuart
    Mn.

Thats the way to think outside the box.
    Keep the reports coming,I enjoy the heck out of them.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’ve seen articles on how to make your own Bass and Panfish poppers using flip-flop rubber as the raw material. You take a piece of tubing and sharpen the edge to use it as a punch to cut cylinder shaped pieces out of the rubber. The stuff floats, lasts forever, and it’s cheap!

Great example of “Yankee Ingenuity”!

Rootski

ezwalt
    MN

Great stuff C&B keep them coming and stay safe

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Cool! So, did you stay out of trouble???

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Cool! So, did you stay out of trouble???

It was not as bad as I made it sound. I was at this particular resort a few months ago and got permission to fish there from one of the staff. On another occasion, a friend of mine asked and they told him that he couldn’t fish there. There were no signs stating I couldn’t fish so I went fishing. On the other hand, I also didn’t want to draw any attention to myself either in case I was in the wrong for fishing there. You have to understand culture here too. Had my friend slipped 100 Baht(approx. $3) to the person who said “no” to fishing there, I think he would have got his chance. Bribes are widely accepted here.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Then I tied into this super Giant Tilapia

That is one awesome looking fish
    Keep the pics coming please

I see Ted Nugent received at least 2 votes this last election

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.