Rod Building

• rednax
    Southern WI

Where do you rod builders find the fly guides for your rods? And what size would you use/how many for a noodle rod? 30″ long. Also where to buy quality blanks/handles? I want to learn this very badly

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Check out Mudhole.com

TUCR had talked about selling components but I’m not sure where they’re at with that. However John is very willing to help and I’m sure would guide you. (pun intended)

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Jann’s netcraft (jannsnetcraft.com) also has a good selection.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

rednax – No location in your profile, so we don’t know what country your in. Smaller dealers throughout the midwest, as well as, a few good sources on line.
    I use mostly American Tackle guides – single foot fly on most ice rod applications and the nanolite on spin/baitcasting. Most of my 34″ to 42″ ice rods are 4 guides. Spacing varies per blank

tucrs
    NW Metro

Rednax- We do sell components just not our main focus right now.
    We are still not selling our blanks.

I would use 5 guides for a 30″ noodle rod.

I assume you want to use fly guides or REC type guides.

Feel free to contact me.

We have lots of open water components available though.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Mudhole is your best bet to get any guide you want! Netcraft, Reinke Brothers, and Schneiders Rods are also good sources to buy from!

curleytail

I am just getting into this also. Beware, it’s like most things I get into. Seems very simple at first and quickly becomes more in depth!

So far I have ordered guides, thread, etc from Janns. Mudhole has good stuff too. A little higher shipping charge through Mudhole. Mudhole has some 1″ thick 5″ long cork grips, and rings, but all their rings have .25″ bores which is a little large for most ice rods. Janns has cork rings with a .125″ bore which works nicely, and even needs to be reamed out for some blanks. I just glued a handle up with them the other night and turned it down. Looks pretty good. I don’t think it’s ultra high grade cork but I think it looks okay. Could use some filler to pretty it up a little.

DH customs sells blanks. I’ve also bought some from Sportsmans Direct and they have treated me very well with good service. Sanded them down some, and just in the stages of wrapping them now. Can’t wait to try them out.

Janns also has some blanks, but they didn’t appeal to me as much. Mudhole has some that sound good that I’ll have to try some day.

revpilot
    Lake Erie

mudhole sells a nice a cork grip on the ice page for 5.95 best price around and its plugged on the end already, and its a very small bore hole. I live 10 mins from Janns and they want 9.99 for the same grip and you have to plug it

darkstar72
    Chicago Suburbs

I buy my components from Mudhole for convenience sake.

If I shopped around I could probably get better deals but right now I’m mainly building for me to replace all my factory rods for open water.

It helps me get better at building skills and try more advanced cosmetic tricks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.