Newville area

• z-man
    Dousman, WI

Launched at the Anchor Inn bout noon…..started a vert. jig drift just up from 59 bridge, and didnt even get my second rod in when BAM! nice 16 inch eye slammed a paddletail. Thought it was gonna be one of those fast and furious days, but that was it till later. did two drifts down to just past I90 bridge, and tried anchoring in a few spots to pitch plastic and work live bait…but NADA. decided to pitch plastics into some off-current bays down from i90, and picked up a nice 18 incher on a ringworm. But that was it…two hits, two fish. Have a pic of the 18 incher, but havent taken the time yet to figure out how to download from my new digital camera. May have to wait till that 30 incher hits the deck….good fishing to all. PS Water temps ranged from a chilly 38 right next to the ice on Kosh, to 44 in shallow bay down from I90.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Good job Z,

At least you started the year off right (at least out of the boat anyway)

Looking forward to more posts from you, Bola, and Carpking. So get fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derek

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Our shore-fishing attempt wasnt a total waste, Derek….I learned that my rubber boots leaked, and have plugged the seam with silicone caulk….dont plan on needing them for a while, though, as long as I can land my boat without getting into the water. so you gonna be getting out anytime soon?? I’m hoping for a Friday pm trip, but still too early to say for sure …..may have an open spot in the boat if you can sneak away??

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Thanks for the offer but I am gonna have to pass it up. Gotta shop for a new vehicle and give Mom a break. Looks like I will miss the spring bite for the first time in about 10 years but the kid is too cute. Can’t wait til he is old enough to fish. I am already attributing the gear I am buying to his tackle box.

That is the story I am using for my wife and I am stiking to it.

Derek

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Derek you will be able to hit the spring run, this year you will be getting fish all though April and May. This run is late this year. I would say May will be very good in this area.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Haven’t had much to report lately because fishing has been slow for me. No time to fine the fish, but will Sat & Sun. The fish that I heve been catching has been in 5 to 8 fow vertical jigging 3/8oz glow/green Zone R’s with LG fathead.

jags

What do you think the outlook for Kosh fishin’ looks like for this weekend. Looks like the mississippi is gonna shut down for walleyes for a bit (spawn, water level, weather). Just wondered if the kosh and river is in the same pattern or on a different schedule. Thanks for any info?

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Fish never shut down jags, one little hint I learned at some of my seminars I have went to, they always say never say the fish are not biting. Because if you do, then you lose confidence and you will not catch fish. Fish can always be caught on any day. One day might be better than others but if you stay positive good things will happen. The key for me is time. If I can fish for a whole day I’ll will catch some kind of fish. But when I only got a couple of hours then I usally get skunked or one or two fish days, in spring for sure. Unless I found the fish the day before. This will be my first weekend that I can fish both day all day, I plan on catch limits both days of eater fish. If you want trophy fish it might only be one fish for the weekend, but you will mount her

jags

Jeff, I like your attitude. Maybe I would have been better spoken if I had said ” I believe the walleye on the miss are moving towards a tough bite pattern.” I fished the kosh a couple of times last year with mixed results, but not till mid summer. I am therefore a greenhorn on the springtime bite. I am going to get my boat wet this weekend (even if I have to squirt it with a garden hose ) and I was just wondering if the kosh is in a “tough bite pattern” or if it is holding to the prespawn bite.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Jeff,

As usual good advice and insight. I will keep it in mind. When I go out I usual say a little pray for a good safe day. And give thanks when I catch a fish regardless of carp, sheephead or walleye.

A little help from upstairs never hurts.

D

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Yeah, Derek…..I should have said mine yesterday. turns out I’ll not be fishing today…..inlaws from Twin cities called yesterday, to say they’ll be at our house about noon today. The Wife wouldnt let me off the hook from being home,so cancelled fishing, but all of a sudden, I got real busy at work and gots to stick around here….darn….But there is something to maintaining the right attitude, as Jeff says. Seems that a positive outlook gets the creative juices moving a little more, and keeps the activity level in hunting for the dirty little bugger eyes, a bit higher. Same thing goes for musky fishing, where sometimes, all you’re hoping for is a follow….now that’s goofy, but thats the way it is. BCNU guys.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Ed inlaws for the weekend,, ,, There could be worth things in life. Hope to put up a report from my weekend outing. I know I will catch something.

jags

I hope so, cuz I’ll be watching

z-man
    Dousman, WI

On to top things off, Jeff, they are Amway Sales people…but the good news is its only for a one day visit…so I guess I lucked out. Good luck, and warm them eyes up for us, would you please??

2ndChance
    Monroe, Wi

Jeff- I might wander over to Fort tomorrow (Sat) just to get familiar with the area, landings, and maybe find a bait shop that can answer some of my questions to relieve some of my anxieties of a new area. Just got a new 17′ Crestliner last fall (don”t want to screw it up). Probably won’t bring the boat and just make it a fact searching trip.
    What landing do you fish out of.
    Jim-Monroe,Wi

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Jim , Bring your boat. The waters fine. If I were you , I would shoot for the launch near K-Mart as it’s the better of the 2 in Fort. I’d bet the farm that the 26 bypass and Blackhawk Island launches will be a zoo this wknd. Get there early if you can.
    To get to the K-Mart launch from Monroe. Make your way to 14 and take it to Janesville. Turn left on 26 and head to the 4th Fort exit way on the north side of town. That is old 26. Get off there and head to town ( about 3/4 of a mile ) and you’ll see the river/launch on the left side of the road across from the Chevy dealer. From there you are good to go all the way to Koshkonong and beyond if you want. The ice went out on Kosh Wed.
    You can make it upstream to Jefferson too ( I did today ) but about a mile and a half upstream is the rapids ( Rock city ) so unless you know where your going I would avoid that area if I were you.
    There will be plenty of turf to keep you busy downstream of K-mart anyways so until you learn the lay of the river I’d advise against heading upstream ( through the rapids ) for now. Some guys will go through it and say no problem but I have seen more than one lower unit , prop take a beating there over the years = not worth it.

There are no bait shops in town worth mentioning. There is a decent one in Milton and another one in Newville but that’s about it. Until the last few days I’ve been doing VERY good on keepers ( jig and minnow ) since the ice went out. Between 2 of us we’ve landed easily 60 + keepers since the river opened up.

If nothing else and you don’t want to bring the boat , bring a rod and some plastic and cast off the wall in town. The fish should be turning onto plastic and cranks any time now.
    If you do bring the boat stay towards the middle of the river and you will be alright as far as not hitting bottom etc. Cruise around and see where others are going and you’ll get a feel of what’s going on.

Hope this helps.

2ndChance
    Monroe, Wi

THANKS MUCH GEEMAN, WILL PROBABLY BUZZ THAT WAY TODAY AND CHECK IT OUT, THAN HEAD NORTH TO LAKE WISCONSIN THAN OVER TO CASTLE ROCK. SHOULD MAKE A FULL DAY OR WEEKEND

THANKS AGAIN

lundmann23
    Franklin

hows everyone been? long time no report! jeff, do you ever put your cell on? tried you today a couple times. will be out tomorrow morning. wondering whats hot and whats not. will be in the crestliner until the new pro-v arrives. stop by and say hello, its been a while. you’ll have to reserve a seat for me in your boat one of these days.

lundmann23
    Franklin

almost forgot, for those who have not tried the day brite jigs by fin-tech, you should get yourself a couple. they have worked well for me this spring on other rivers. we’ll see how the rock prefers them!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.