2014 Rock River Walleye League (Thursday nights)

• nauga-monster
    Milton, Wisconsin

Hi guys, I just spoke with Joe and it’s official. The 2014 RRWL will officially kick off on Thursday, April 17th. I’ll try to keep the weights updated on this thread throughout the season.

See you on the water

Nauga

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Thanks, Nauga. I was wondering about the start date. See everyone on the 17th!

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Quote:

Thanks, Nauga. I was wondering about the start date. See everyone on the 17th!

Make that the 24th. Gonna have to miss the first one.

Chowder
    Wi

Having fished the thur league in the past a few times I find it kind of repetative that every week all but a few anglers go to the river and play bumper boats on the 2 or 3 holes, I would like to see a tourny excluding the river. I know it is a anglers choice of where to fish but I think it would be a interesting twist, thoughts?

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

That doesn’t sound like much fun to me. How would you regulate it? I’d rather fish where they fish are. If you fished more weeks you’d see winners are not always from the river. It’s seasonal. In May & June as the fish slip back down the river most fish and bigger fish will still be in the river. The first few weeks and the last few weeks of an average Tourney season the winners are not usually those fishing the mouth at the inlet to the lake. It’s the same with any tourney anywhere. There’s seasonal movements to the fish and those that do their homework know where to go. If you read LL today you’ll see they’re not catching fish there right now. The fish haven’t been there over the past week, they’re in their spawning areas. Excluding the mouth would be as exciting as having a walleye tourney on Red Cedar Lake. My bet is that those knowing where the fish are wouldn’t bother entering the tourney if the fish are there since chances of catching walleyes would only be slightly better than fishing in a bathtub.

Chowder
    Wi

There are many tourny’s that exclude river systems bago, bays de noc, erie to name a few, yes off limit areas have to be patroled and as ethical tournament anglers abide by off limit areas, I agree sometimes during league season a league night will be won by someone fishing the lake, {Joe} Problem is that while there are limits to be taken in lake the average size runs a little smaller and to be in the top three it forces you to go to the river, as for doing home work if the river was excluded it may force you and others to do alittle in the lake, I can assure you that many thursday nights throughout the league season there are plenty of fish to be had most of the time avg size smaller but those are the best eaters anyways,believe it or not a little more productive than fishing in a bath tub. As a extension to this post I dont put much stock or waste to much time reading L.L. would rather go out and fish, I would like to state that alot of the real walleye circuts that fish multiple bodies of water per year have set boundries and that forces you to figure out that bodie of water [homework] I think there are alot of very experianced anglers that would fish a league if you excluded the river, it forces you to get out of your comfort zone.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I just received word that my fishing partner is out of commission for a few weeks with knee surgery. So I have a need for another stick in my boat. Versatility is the key. I jig, drag, deadstick, troll w/wo boards, B-Bounce, pull spinners and cranks. If you put time on the water, let’s talk. PM me if you’d like to fish Thursday night. I will start April 24th this year.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Chowder, we’ve won on the lake too and have the largest weight ever recorded while fishing the lake in July 2011. Those other systems you’ve mentioned are huge compared to this system so excluding the river leaves plenty of options there. When we’re tourney fishing we’re not looking for eaters, we’re looking for the big fish which has a larger payout than winning the tourney. This is a catch and release league. Dead or harvested fish are penalized. Maybe it’s you that’s out of your comfort zone fishing the river or you’d be there too when conditions are favorable. Anyway, if you’re willing to organize a lake tourney we’d be willing participants. I’m sorry if my opinion offended you. That certainly wasn’t my intention. I thought you were asking for honest opinions. Hope to see you all Thursday.

Chowder
    Wi

Databoy, I know league is catch & release and agree with that totally, I know you and your partner have done well in the league and applaud you guys for that. I fished competatively for a little more than ten years MWC, Merc Nationals, Midwest walleye series and did fairly well qualifying for championships in MWC & MWWS multiple times I got burnt out and took a break to fish for fun and I like to eat fish which was my point on eaters, I do fish the river regularly and am pretty productive at it. My whole point at the start of this conversation was that it seems repetative fishing the same holes with most of the participants every week this is just my opinion and was looking for others thoughts, I know yours, no offense taken and good luck this season.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I understand, point well taken. The rules were set long before we started fishing the league and we did what we had to do to adapt to the rules. I can think of a few rules I’d change but I like to just shut up and fish. The other funny thing is that for as repetitive as it may seem I always learn something and have a lot more to learn. That area is usually not congested on Thursday nights, by no means bumper boating. Between league participants and non-competitors there’s still rarely more than 6-8 boats in the entire stretch near Blackhawk even when the bite there is on. Close the river and it’d be bumper boats on the rock pile. The lake is also not always fishable on this system when the wind is blowing hard, sometimes making it impossible to even cross the lake safely to get to the other side. Being able to use the river to avoid getting battered has saved us many times.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Extracted from the Daily Union yesterday…

Thus far, Jefferson County has not enacted its slow/no wake ordinance for all rivers and streams within Jefferson County.

However, in Rock County, a slow/no wake ordinance was enacted along the Rock River at all public access points between Lake Koshkonong and the Beloit-Rock Town Line Road bridge.

Slow/no wake means that boats shall operate at the slowest speed possible and still maintain forward motion and steering control. Due to current conditions, it is recommended that boaters stay off rivers and streams until the water has receded to a safe level.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Guys,

Anyword on how the first night of leagues went? I was out putzing around Thursday and saw everyone run across the lake. I got a skunk but was just breaking in the kicker trolling around Kosh so it does not count….right?

Derek

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

I heard that one fish won the whole pot. But you didn’t hear it from me. I was in Nashville, TN when I got the news.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

I don’t feel so bad now.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

For those venturing out tonight Jefferson County still has not issued a Slow No Wake. Rock County has been under a Slow No Wake restriction since 3/31. Lots of rain this morning so play it safe and watch for debris floating down the river. Hopefully we can avoid the thunder and torrential downpours. Good luck (more to us and less to you guys ).

http://www.jeffersoncountywi.gov/departments/slow_no_wake_information.php

https://www.co.rock.wi.us/press-releases

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

@ databoy, missed you at the Anchor Inn League–must have come late and left early as I came early and left late.

Weather held off and the winds died down but the ‘eyes were still uncooperative. Two fish caught 1.6 and 1.4# for first and second place. Fishing must be getting better as this time there were half as many boats and twice as many fish caught by them. See y’all next week (I spent a week in KY and TN and picked up a few southern tendencies).

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Best of luck to the guys fishing tonight. I was out Wednesday from 2-6 pm probing the shallows and dredging the flats to no avail. Saw Jeff and Gregg out searching for fish, too. Then I received a call from family I seldom hear from. Not only do I have an aunt in cardiac intensive care in Beloit, but an uncle died Monday night and funeral/visitation are today and Friday. So I will be out of commision for awhile. Aunt is doing well with her new pacemaker and Defib unit. Now if they can get her meds right, she can go home–not to the funeral.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Sorry to hear that Bob but as you found out last night you’re likely not going to miss much tonight other than your entry fee. Best wishes to your family, the fish will still be there when you get back to it.

-Gregg

kv56
    Janesville

how did Thursday go? Still milky

nauga-monster
    Milton, Wisconsin

Results from last night 5-8-14
    Congrats to Jerry Mills and Chris Scharlau for setting a new league record with 28.31 lbs of walleyes!!!

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

Quote:

Results from last night 5-8-14
    Congrats to Jerry Mills and Chris Scharlau for setting a new league record with 28.31 lbs of walleyes!!!

X2! Good luck on Saturday.

kv56
    Janesville

Wow, nice bag! congrats Ok so where were you, what bait,line,rod,reel,drift speed color boat, LOL

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Notoriously cold and raining… it must be Thursday.

nauga-monster
    Milton, Wisconsin

Current League Standings as of 5-16-2014

nauga-monster
    Milton, Wisconsin

Results from 5-22, and the current overall standings, Congrats to Team Fin-Tech for the victory last Thursday!!!

nauga-monster
    Milton, Wisconsin

Congrats to Eric and Jeff Pomplun for showing everyone how it’s done!!! Here are the results from Thursday night and the current standings!!!

See you on the water

Nauga

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Last Thursday Results, 2nd win of the year for Team Fin-tech –

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Congrats to Jason and Ben on their 3-peat. Jerry and Chris also had an excellent year taking second, likely only missing being champs because they missed 2 weeks during the peak of the bite when team Nauga weighed big bags. Our team Fin-tech took third.

Changes are in order for next year in hopes of better participation throughout the season. The format will change to 100% payout each week making each thursday an induvidual tourney so those falling behind in total weight early don’t drop out and those that only can fish a few weeks don’t contribute to league leaders with no hope of placing in year end payouts. It hasn’t been decided if league standings will be kept for recongnition on Facebook only (no payout). Other proposals…

-5 fish max per boat so solo entries have better chance to win.

-Possible big fish withholding so biggest fish of the year gets a season end bonus.

-Starting 2 weeks later so all weeks will be 4:30-8:30 PM contests. The last tourney will be the last week of June.

-Using the same partner from each week will not be required unless teams still want to compete for year end recognition.

If you have other ideas to improve the format please post them here or contact Joe Viola at Rock River Marina. Thanks to all that participated this year. We hope changes will result in a much better season next year. Hopefully the individual tourney format will bring in those that can’t commit to a full season and those sitting on the fence making it easier to give it a try and join in the fun.

See you on the water,
    -Gregg

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Another idea for those that would like to keep a league format would be to only count a team’s top 5-6 bags toward the year end total so those that can’t commit to a full season don’t drop out and the weeks a team lays an egg can be excluded from the year standings.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.