Rock River & Lake Koshkonong Fishing Report in May

• jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

The Rock River and Lake koshkonong can bring some of the best walleye action in May, also white bass. Trolling the 10,000 acer lake with crank baits and crawler harness can put some nice fish in the boat for the frying pan. White bass will also start the move up river in the Fort Atkinson area all the why to the Jefferson dam. If you want to have fun with the kids take them fishing for the white bass. They will bite just about anything when they are on the full run which is only a week or two away. Watch for my report on some awesome walleye action from this weekend on Tuesday.

lundmann23
    Franklin

a nice one from my weekend outing, not from koshkonong..

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Nice eye Mike, looks like Pine Lake . You should have came to Kosh. When you see my Tuesday report, or late Monday night you will know why. I caught at least 20 walleyes this weekend which each day I only fished four hours. I took home 8 for the frying pan.

PS. The water on the west side of the lake is so clear you can see the bottom in four feet, In all my life I have never seen it so clear so take avantage of it because it wouldn’t last long I bet. Friday at Pine Lake I couldn’t see the bottom in four feet. HMMM

Thanks EZ for the great outing Friday.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I was out for about 90 minutes last night on the river christening my dad’s newly acquired 14′ Lund, what a great boat! You may not see my puddle hopper much anymore as long as I can keep my dad in the boat. We caught several non spawned out white bass and a 15.5″ walleye, all on a fairly large perch floating Rapala. Those poor bass would choke on live bait that size, they must really be hungry. We targeted the area from Kmart to the bridge and found a few sweet spots, especially near the creek inlet.

Now that I just moved back to Fort for the first time since the early 80’s it was great being out on such a nice night but I can’t figure out where all the fishing people go after the early walleye frenzy. It seems the fish are still there but the congestion is gone. Too bad for everyone else.

lundmann23
    Franklin

beaver dam lake!! we had quite a day on saturday. probably boated 25 eyes from 10 up to 24 inches. trolling, casting, and live bait all worked. a lot of talk about this lake and we decided to give it a whirl. similiar to kosh in depth but a lot of rock and islands. we were getting them in 2 feet of water towards the evening. fun lake to fish!!

my brothers buddy fished kosh saturday and only got 1 legal sauger and some norhterns trolling. must have been in the wrong spot…

lundmann23
    Franklin

all fish were cpr too!!

suprchef
    edgerton, wisconsin the county of rock

Nice fish Jeff!

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Ola Bola…tried to send you a private message, but said that you’re not accepting them. so here it is. Good luck on your trip up north next week…..we’re heading to Lac Seul this Friday, so I’ll be out of commission here for a week. Maybe we can hook-up on Kosh for some competitive trolling in June??. See if Lundmann wants to join in and maybe a few others?? Talk to you when we get back, and keep that Canadian trip in the back of your mind for next year. BCNU

lundmann23
    Franklin

i would definataly join in on the competetive trolling idea. took the weekend off fishing to get some things done. crappy weather anyways. jeff, whats the water clarity now? my brother and i heading out sat. morning. be nice to see ya, its been a while..

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

mike water clarity looks like this.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

or like this .

Mike water clarity isn’t bad on the west side of the lake. It isn’t is good as last week but can still see about foot down in some place. Trolling the west side of the lake and the river to the bridges should be the ticket. Rock River has NO WAKE on the whole river now and all public launchs are close.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Ed you should be able to PM me, try again . Good luck at Lac Seul and I’ll be thinking about you when I’m boating those five pound smallies. I will bring back some great pictures this year. I learned how to take fish pictures Tuesday morning.

tedpeck
    Genoa Wi

Jeff, you are an awesome stick! Ladies and Gentlemen: Mr. Patrick whupped me soundly yesterday on the west end of Kosh. We boated about 25 walleyes, biggest pushing 4 lbs. he had 20, i had five, pitching jigs with leeches and crawlers. Jeff and I both firmly believe in CPR,with Jeff’s insistance that I use the new KnuckleBall jig w/living rubber hook the cutting edge on long range release! Mr. Patrick’s cat-like reflexes enabled him to whip those ‘eyes into the boat before they knew what hit ’em. It will take some time for this ol’ dawg to learn how to bring fish to the boat with that living rubber hook. Hopefully, the learning curve will be shorter than learning to use Circle hooks. As you probably know, Circle hooks require a passive hookset when the fish begins to run away. I studied under some of the finest gutter winos to perfect the reflexes required to hook up using Circle hooks, a behavior which must be unlearned when fishing out of Jeff’s boat while being forced to use rubber hooks. Jeff and I boated four different year classes of walleyes in just over four hours on the water, boding well for the future of this tremendous walleye fishery! Watch for my column in the 6/6 Janesville Gazette which will feature riverine stretches around Koshkonong and Jeff Patrick’s understanding of these waters…However…. I REALLY wanted to catch sheepshead and told him so. Never caught a single sheepshead all morning. Not one. Bullheads would have been okay, too. but not one of these either. Jeff calls himself the “Rock River Wrangler” and shows up to fish wearing cowboy boots, chaps and spurs, promising to “round up plenty of head..both sheep and bull..! And what do we catch ? Walleyes. Just 25 stinkin’ walleyes!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Thanks Ted, I had a great time fishing with you and looking foward for you to join me in July for some more hot walleye action on the Rock River. Here’s a nice 24 inch walleye Ted’s releasing, just one of many that morning.

Anglers check out my updated fishing report, just click on Updated Fishing Report Below

Rock River & Lake Koshkonong Update Walleye Report

z-man
    Dousman, WI

5 lb. smallies……mmmmmgood..perfect eating size…taste just like musky and bald eagle, I hear. BCNU

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

easy ED have a great weekend.

lundmann23
    Franklin

had a pretty good day on saturday, had the whole lake and river to ourselves!!

lundmann23
    Franklin

released this 26.5″. no scale but guessed around 7 pounds!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That is a very NICE chunky fish ya’ got there. Good job on the release. Get that one on bait or cranks?

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Awesome fish Mike, I’m glad you had a great day

Where did you put in at?

lundmann23
    Franklin

james, we caught 1 fish trolling and the rest came on leeches. nothing fancy, just pitching jigs to the front side of the bridge pillars. each pillar held fish. most were in the 17 to 22 inch range.
    i sure wish we had the size of fish you guys catch up by pool 4. its a bonus when we get one over 5. there in this system but i guess there a lot harder to come by down here. although i have not fished pool 4, i will definately be up there soon.

lundmann23
    Franklin

i know this is the may report board but here is how my june has started out!!

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Nice ‘Eye…..Can you normally boat under that bridge? or is the water just that high?

lundmann23
    Franklin

i finally got my dad out in the boat for the first time this year. we took home a limit of nice eaters and released 6 fish over the 22 inch mark. the one above was just under 25. pitching leeches and crawlers on a 3/8 ounce knuckleball jig was the ticket.

lundmann23
    Franklin

the water is very high. i cleared my windshield by about 18 inches. many pontoon and ski boats could not make it. this high water has made the fishing dynamite!!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

The water is just that high Slop. But we love the high water, it’s making great fishing. As you can see from Mike’s pictures. Now I’m back from vacation so it’s my turn to hammer those eyes. Great fish Mike, it looks like your on a roll now move over because here I come.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.