Rock Bass

• ganderpike
    Alexandria

As far as keeping them off, with cranks Im getting very aggressive with ripping it forward. If I let it pause a little too long a rocker might hit it. Also a good reason to go bigger. Eagles gotta eat too….

TH

Weed fish species. I hate them with a passion. There used to be a thread “fish I don’t like to catch”, I’d say rock bass. I’d rather not catch anything.

Bman, those boys look like they have fun doing just about anything!”

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

My dad had an intense hate for rock bass. Don’t know why but of course I don’t like them now either but have no reason other than what I learned from my dad. I also had an experience like Big G. Just got married many years ago and we purchased a canoe and went camping on Lake Miltona. Caught the biggest rock bass that I have ever seen. Looked at wife and said I bet this is a state record. Thought for a second and said don’t want my name with no stinking rock bass and threw it back. Never caught another even close to that one and had a second chance to reconsider my decision.

mnfisherman18

Used to love to go out at dusk and drop slip bobbers over sunken points/humps for Walleyes. But now your bait’s gone in under a minute EVERY time.

Yup, used to look forward to watching a few slip bobbers go down on a go-to hump. Now sometimes don’t even bother, constantly re-baiting gets old fairly quick.

FinickyFish

On one lake I fish, the Rockbass are a sign that the walleye have moved on and we should call it a night (or move shallower but we never do). As soon as we catch a Rockie we never catch another wally in that spot. I feel they must move in shallow just behind the walleye.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

When I was a kid we fished a lot. Cabin next to the largest inland lake in Michigan. My Dad taught us that Rock Bass AND Crappies were junk fish. I kid you not. “Specs” were not to be eaten. EVER. Routinely caught giant ones when trolling. Not until I grew up did I start respecting and keeping Crappies.

catmando
    wis

When I was a kid we fished a lot. Cabin next to the largest inland lake in Michigan. My Dad taught us that Rock <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Bass AND Crappies were junk fish. I kid you not. “Specs” were not to be eaten. EVER. Routinely caught giant ones when trolling. Not until I grew up did I start respecting and keeping Crappies.

Your Dad was or is a wise man! Crappies Pffft!

Terny

On one lake I fish, the Rockbass are a sign that the walleye have moved on and we should call it a night (or move shallower but we never do). As soon as we catch a Rockie we never catch another wally in that spot. I feel they must move in shallow just behind the walleye.

I have noticed the same thing on some of the lakes I fish at night also. its has normally been a good sign to call it a night.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.