Where, What, When

• bonecarl
    Rochester,MN

Went out to Fishermans inn yesterday at about 2pm-5pm. Put down a few tip ups tipped with a sucker.Bout 4 had a flag go up, ran over there, feed out line for about a minute and half and set the hook…%#@$ No fish.. I was using a circle hook if that makes a difference.. Was wondering Where to target northerns, What kind of tackle does everyone use and When to set the hook or how long does one wait and let it run. Any help is appreciated.

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

You don’t “set the hook” with a circle hook. Just reel steady or pull steady and it should catch in the corner of the mouth.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I dont target northerns much any more but used to spend a fair amo0unt of time chasing them. I would look to the edges of large wed beds to start. AS the winter progresses the panfish will move of these wed beds and the northerns will follow.

For tackle a tip up with at least 10# test tied to either a steel leader or quick strike rig will work. Never tried circle hooks but as mentioned above do not set the hook on a circle hook.

Using medium sized shiners or sucker minnows we would let eh pike run then stop. When they would start to move the second time is when to take them. Now depending on what type, size of bait or hooks you are using this may differ. An example is using a quick strike rig where you set the hook much sooner.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

bonecarl, can’t say you did anything wrong. The circle hook is ok, Next time I would stop it from running before a minute & just put pressure on it. The circle hook will do the rest. By the way you’re in the right area for pike. There are other spots on the lake where pike can be had. Check out some weed edges in ryans bay or the high banks. Fishermans inn gets better late ice as the panfish move in there in numbers. Good fishin Doug

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.