Rochester area

• Mike
    Eyota MN

Anyone catching anything good in the area ? My old man and I have been going to foster arends most weekends and compared to last year it seems really slow.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I haven’t gotten out that much in the Rochester area this year but in the winter I’ve typically spent my time at Chester Woods, and last year when I fished it it seemed to have slowed down as well.

Fishing in this part of the state can be very tough as far as quantity, quality, variety, and options in general. Olmsted County is the county in the entire state without a naturally occurring lake (I read that somewhere). With all the outdoorsmen and women in a populated area, people with good jobs and money to spend on the outdoors, the few options to catch a few fish get just pounded.

Feel free to send a PM if you want to discuss any areas further.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Just saw your location says Eyota, I believe that’s much closer to Chester Woods than it is to the actual city right? I’ve had some very good winters on Chester Woods and then last year it seemed to really slow down there, and I haven’t been there this year.

I don’t know how long you’ve been a part of this site, but Tom Sawvell was a guy on here that had more knowledge than probably anyone on here and what really set him apart was his willingness to help everyone out, including specifics about where to go, what to do, etc. He’s very sorely missed.

Mike
    Eyota MN

Chester woods is right down the road from me. My dad and I just prefer the chance at those trout at foster arends. And yes Tom was a wealth of knowledge. I actually used to message him often about ice fishing in this area.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I fish the area a lot, or used to. FA is probably the only place around here that you can catch a fish that will give you a fight. I tried it once this year and the 5 trout that swam by me weren’t stopping. I mostly stick to the river these days since I have caught enough 6″ gills in my lifetime. FA and Cascade are the only local lakes I go to anymore. Other puddles are so over fished, I doubt you can find a crappie over 11″. Chester can put out decent fish but I heard it’s getting pounded this year. There’s always LZ but I suck at finding fish there.
    I got into em the other night at Cascade. C&R’d maybe 15 crappies all in the 9-11″ range. Missed just as many in about 4 hours. Takes some time to find them but I have put in the work and my spots are still working. Enjoy it now because once they put in a parking lot and easy access, GAME OVER! It is so crucial to put the bigger ones back around here. I have gotten some dandy’s in there but none last night. I just hope the ones I am after didn’t hit the grease!

Attachments:
    1. 20210130_163651-1.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I would like to think there are eyes in there but I have yet to catch one in 20 years so I call BS. DNR mentioned about possibly stocking the lakes someday but I haven’t heard anything lately.
    Only water with walleye are private lakes and over the LZ dam. There are some stragglers that can be caught in the lake but pretty rare.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>
    Only water with <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye are private lakes and over the LZ dam.

Incorrect. Since you couldnt find them in the last 20 years maybe you’ll find them in the 20 years to come! whistling

It’s your story, you can tell it how you want. Show me a pic with background and I’ll believe you coffee

Coletrain27

You can believe me or not but I have seen walleye caught and it wasn’t on the bottom side of zumbro dam or a private lake

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Desperate Ha…..I’ve caught enough of those bottom feeders in my lifetime too out on P4, and all the other BIG walleye lakes. Just not buying there are walleye in Cascade.
    Maybe you know something I don’t but there are bigfoot sightings here and there.
    All it takes is some guy to plant a few in a lake so anything is possible. Somebody did some pike stocking in Chester so who knows.
    I’ll keep chasing crappies until April and by then I can get the boat out to Red wing.
    Your secrets are safe from me T-bruh!

Mike
    Eyota MN

I was just wondering about the bite at foster arends. Are they stocking it this winter ? Everyone keeps telling us “ this week there stocking it “

Bill Cadwell

May I ask why Tom is no longer on here? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks, Bill Cadwell

Jimmy Jones

May I ask why Tom is no longer on here? Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks, Bill Cadwell

Fear not William, I’m still around to causes issues.

I’ll answer your Lake Zumbro query under that thread though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.