Retired Elk Hunters/Year Off

• ProStaffSteve

Hello IDO friends, I am interested in borrowing/loaning/purchasing some elk hunting gear. I drew a Big Game Combo tag for Montana this fall. I am looking to loan a pack/possibly binoculars/a range finder that might not otherwise be utilized this fall. I am a Rochester MN local and figured someone has some top tier gear laying around. Very open to negotiating what makes sense. I am notoriously honest and straightforward, looking for a hand. Please reach out or drop a comment!

Sincerely,
    ProStaffSteve

Tom schmitt

I have some gear for sale if you are interested.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d start looking into buying a good set of Bino’s and Range Finder, since you will likely use those throughout your hunting career in MN or elsewhere. You can get a nice Vortex bino’s setup with chest case for $150ish. And range finders aren’t too crazy either. A frame pack might be something worth renting or borrowing until you know this will be an annual thing. I have these bino’s and they are solid:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/vortex-crossfire-hd-10×42-binoculars-19vorucrssfrhd10xopt/19vorucrssfrhd10xopt?sku=20317801&camp=CSE:DSG_92700067222422827_pla_pla-4582352172050579&gclid=97bc0934294e1d4837376b4e46f30bfd&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=97bc0934294e1d4837376b4e46f30bfd

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

As Werm said, both a rangefinder and decent glass are great tools that you will use around here. I’d definitely look at purchasing those. My personal preference is Maven C1 for decent “budget” glass, and the Sig Kilo series of rangefinders have been pretty darn good for me personally.

See if there is someone you can borrow a pack from, but I think more than anything buy a decent pair of hiking boots NOW and start breaking them in. There is nothing that can ruin a hunt more than shredded feet that limit your ability to chase critters.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

buy a decent pair of hiking boots NOW and start breaking them in. There is nothing that can ruin a hunt more than shredded feet that limit your ability to chase critters.

^^^This x 10

ProStaffSteve

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>waldo9190 wrote:</div>
    buy a decent pair of hiking boots NOW and start breaking them in. There is nothing that can ruin a hunt more than shredded feet that limit your ability to chase critters.

^^^This x 10

Hahahah that’s a real mofo. As a work from home feller with soft terrain near by this is an issue. I have a medium warm pair of boots hunting that I’ve had for 8 years that I’m very comfortable in, considering using those because I would hate to be uncomfortable

tornadochaser

Hahahah that’s a real mofo. As a work from home feller with soft terrain near by this is an issue. I have a medium warm pair of boots hunting that I’ve had for 8 years that I’m very comfortable in, considering using those because I would hate to be uncomfortable

Not sure how you plan on hunting, but you’ll likely want a broke-in pair of un-insulated boots, and pack some booties along for long sits glassing. Western big game hunting can be a whole different animal when it comes to packs, footwear, layers, glass. I’ve just started buying and using quality gear for my western SD hunts to get used to it while I accrue points for MT, WY, and CO.

Ben K.

Congrats on the tag. I failed to draw Montana this year.

Be sure to do hills/incline in those boots. I hunted with a guy a few years ago who broke his boots in wearing them to work for a month on a flat indoor surface. Day 1 his feet were torn up and affected his whole trip.

Good luck with your gear search. I’m still hoping to figure out a hunt this year, so I’m not much good to you (other than unsolicited boot advice…)

Dave maze
    Isanti

100% on the un-insulated boots. We were hiking 10 miles a day last season. Cold feet was not an issue.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

If this is your first trip out west, then there is definitely going to be a learning curve. You will (should) be hiking A LOT. Like, a lot a lot, and those insulated boots WILL make your feet sweat. Sweaty feet + stopping to glass = cold feet. Like others have said, I would wear uninsulated boots with wool socks if necessary for warmth, then bring some down “booties” for those times where you’re stationary glassing.

ProStaffSteve

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ProStaffSteve wrote:</div>

Not sure how you plan on hunting, but you’ll likely want a broke-in pair of un-insulated boots, and pack some booties along for long sits glassing. Western big game hunting can be a whole different animal when it comes to packs, footwear, layers, glass. I’ve just started buying and using quality gear for my western SD hunts to get used to it while I accrue points for MT, WY, and CO.

Definitely the end game here. I am interested in looking into some more comfortable light weight options for glassing. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me in terms of putting on miles. I’ll be doing a boundary waters camping trip where we will be moving 17 miles through the bush so perhaps I can front-load my discomfort but utilizing that to break in a fresh pair of kickers

ProStaffSteve

Congrats on the tag. I failed to draw Montana this year.

Be sure to do hills/incline in those boots. I hunted with a guy a few years ago who broke his boots in wearing them to work for a month on a flat indoor surface. Day 1 his feet were torn up and affected his whole trip.

Good luck with your gear search. I’m still hoping to figure out a hunt this year, so I’m not much good to you (other than unsolicited boot advice…)

Thank you, friend. It was a surprise to say the least, first time submitting for a draw anywhere although it’s been on my list for a good long while now to take a stab at a bull. I bet he felt pretty silly wearing them to work too, lmao. Tough lessons to learn for guys not smart enough to do their research (or to seek advice from guys who do research). I’m a bit of a gym rat so I am looking to switch back to cardio which is how I spent all last summer. The incline with a pack and boots sounds like actual hell. 😤

ProStaffSteve

100% on the un-insulated boots. We were hiking 10 miles a day last season. Cold feet was not an issue.

Made me chuckle. I figured I’d tell everyone my half-assed plan to see just how stupid it was. I’ll be grabbing some new ones soon. Funny I made a post looking to save a buck and I left with a longer shopping list than I came with

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Funny I made a post looking to save a buck and I left with a longer shopping list than I came with

Hahaha yeah, if there’s one thing the IDO forum does best, it’s spend other peoples money rotflol .

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ProStaffSteve wrote:</div>
    Funny I made a post looking to save a buck and I left with a longer shopping list than I came with

Hahaha yeah, if there’s one thing the IDO forum does best, it’s spend other peoples money rotflol .

X2!!

Michael Best

Darn Tough merino hiking socks are hard to beat. The warranty they have is great as well. They can be bought at REI.

As others have said there is no need for insulated boots on a western hunt.
    Me personally I am a Crispi fan. Crispi summits is what I wear. Lots of good boots out there and everyone’s feet are different then the next guy.
    Another good boot is Salomon hiking boots.
    They can be bought at REI as well.
    Of all the Salomon boots I have owned. Never had to worry about a break in time for them.
    The nice thing about western hunts is if your on a ridge glassing and you get cold. Just start a fire.

As far as work outs go. Throw 40 to 50 lbs in the pack and go hit some hills. That and riding a mtn bike is all I have ever done to get ready for western hunts.

ajw

I have a pair of Meopta MeoStar 10×42 binoculars in like new condition that i’d be willing to part with for a fair price. You will not find a better pair of binocs for sub $1000.

ProStaffSteve

I have a pair of Meopta MeoStar 10×42 binoculars in like new condition that i’d be willing to part with for a fair price. You will not find a better pair of binocs for sub $1000.

Really appreciate the offer, maybe some other enthusiast will be able to take you up. Like new, those cost more than my boat, so did the elk tag, but I can’t justify owning such a nice piece of equipment just yet. Sub 1 k looks like a great price though!

buck-slayer

I have a range finder you could borrow. Use it only for whitetail. Not sure what kind it is bought it at Cabelas cave 20 some years ago but works fine. Probably a little bigger that the newer ones. I come to Rochester couple times a month if your available during the day you could check it out.

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

If you get the new boots, pick up a couple rolls of Leukotape. If you even think you’re getting a hot spot, stop and cover it with a piece. Really saved me last year when I was breaking in my new boots. I went with a few pairs of Darn Tough and some Farm to Feet socks. These seemed to help in prevention of blisters as well.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.