Replacing tires on 1/2 ton truck

• DFP
    Haverhill Iowa

Going to be replacing tires on F-150 before winter. I’ve reviewed some past threads on tire preference. Seems like most people on here favor the Hankook Dyna-Pro ATM. I’m strongly leaning towards this tire. I will be pricing tires this coming week. I’ve also had people tell me to look at the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 and Falcen Wild AT 3. My main question to people that have replaced their tires on 1/2 ton trucks is did you keep with the 4 ply tire or did you go to the 10 ply. If you went to the 10 ply do you feel it significantly affected the trucks ride or fuel performance?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Why in the world would you go 10 ply on a 1/2 ton? Unless you are loaded up all the time 10 ply is serious overkill IMO. I like Cooper tires also. On my 3/4 Ton Dodge I run Michelin.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I put Nitto Grappler G2’s on my 14 1/2ton Silverado. 4 Ply. Didn’t really affect mileage and don’t look like a mud tire but seem to have good bite. I’ve got about 35k on them so far and they hardly look worn.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Biggest thing with tires is religiously rotating them. I do mine every 10,000 miles and estimate nearly a 40% life increase.

riverruns
    Inactive

Biggest thing with tires is religiously rotating them. I do mine every 10,000 miles and estimate nearly a 40% life increase.

Fleet Farm hates me. They have free rotation and balance. My 3/4 dodge diesel goes in every 5K miles. Keeps the tires like new.

blackbay
    mn

I had Michelin LTX M/S 2 on my F150. They were great tires. Very good snow and ice traction and wore extremely well. I don’t knuw if I’d head across a plowed field or a long muddy dirt road but they did exactly what I want them to do. Once my Hankooks go on my Explorer I’ll be going back to Michelin.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you want Great snow traction and a quiet tire, go with firestone destination a/t. I’ve never had a better tire on snow and ice. Plus I never realized a tire can be so quiet.

The downside is you’ll get about 60k in most conditions. Some vehicles will get more.

As said before, only get 10 ply if you’re going to be carrying a heavy load for long distances.

catnip
    south metro

A 10 ply is a load range e tire and those on a 1/2 ton will rattle your teeth loose. I would suggest a load range c tire for a truck or van. They ride nice and wear more even than the p tires your truck came with and handle in corners very nice with no tire roll.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

0 ply is a load range e tire and those on a 1/2 ton will rattle your teeth loose

Had load E on my last truck (2010 f150). This is not true. The only difference I noticed is the flat spots when the tires were cold. Other than that, no difference when it wasn’t loaded.

When I had my pickup camper on, I inflated to 50 psi and had a much safer ride. Night and day difference.

I would suggest a load range c tire for a truck or van. They ride nice and wear more even than the p tires your truck came with and handle in corners very nice with no tire roll.

I had load C on this truck as well. This is good advice because the max psi was 50-60 psi and was good enough for the max payload of the truck. Load E is overkill for a half ton but not all tires come in load C.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Load range E have a much stiffer sidewall…. with a good suspension, you probably won’t notice much as the sidewall will not flex as easily with every little road imperfection, as a P or LT tire will.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have my first pair of 10 ply now. I dont find the ride bad at all. Feels like a truck.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have the Hankook 10-ply’s, for about 30k miles now and they have been great. Best price I found was at Discount Tire.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I had Michelin LTX M/S 2 on my F150. They were great tires. Very good snow and ice traction and wore extremely well. I don’t knuw if I’d head across a plowed field or a long muddy dirt road but they did exactly what I want them to do. Once my Hankooks go on my Explorer I’ll be going back to Michelin.

All I run are the Michelins also. After seeing if the grass was greener on the other side, I always go back

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I have 10 plys on my 2014 F150 (came with it) and I am looking forward to replacing the tires as I think the ride will improve. Sure, it’s not bad and it is a truck, but I am pretty sure the ride will improve with a less stiff tire. I certainly feel all of the little imperfections/cracks in the road.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

If you can wait till Black Friday you will save up to $320 on a set of tires.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Michelin has a good warranty record… we do a lot of them. Don’t know if that’s good or bad…. doah

DFP
    Haverhill Iowa

Thanks for all of the replies. Obviously one size does not fit all. My original thought on replacing tires on a half ton truck would be to use better riding tires. Some people I’ve spoken to like the 10 ply tires for the stronger sidewall construction. They feel it might reduce the chance of stalks or sticks punctureing the tire in an off road situation. Thanks again.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

I wouldn’t go 10 ply on 1/2 ton, I’m in the market as well for a 1/2 ton tires as well and I’m leaning towards the Falken Wildpeak at3w good reviews, price and mile warranty.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Some people I’ve spoken to like the 10 ply tires for the stronger sidewall construction. They feel it might reduce the chance of stalks or sticks punctureing the tire in an off road situation. Thanks again.

10 ply tires do not have ten ply of material and are not less likely to be punctured. The reality is most “10 ply” only have 3 or maybe 4 layers of material in the construction.

As for ride, a 10 ply (or E range) will ride much “stiffer”. At proper inflation, a 10 ply is 80# psi (+/- pending on vehicle recommendations). A C range is only 50psi.

Additionally the load index will vary by manufacture. In an E range, you’ll normally see an index of the 90’s into the low 100′ between different manufactures. Makes a big difference in how they ride and perform.

If your not going to utilize the weight capacity, there is no need to spend the extra money. Buy for your application

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.