Rental?

• mndadandson

Anyone know of a Ice Castle or similar for rent by owner set up on the lake?
    Looking for January 11-13.
    Resorts are ridiculous on weekends, $275 per night for an Ice Castle, or $220 for a powered house.
    We will need to bring a dvd payer or laptop to plug in.

My 16 year old boy and I are clean (will not be cooking) and very respectful of your property.

Targeting Walleye.

Thanks for any ideas.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Minnetonka has a guy that does this, I looked on face Book and seen the ad.

mndadandson

Mille Lacs this year.

Considered Red, but too far.

That linked Ice castle is $150 for 12 hours (for a small one) $250 for the large, way too much.

Cant imagine how much a 48 hour weekend trip would be. Even the ones on Mille Lacs are not that much.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Minnetonka guy says half day for 150?
    That’s steep.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

MNDrifter gets credit for this

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

MNDrifter gets credit for this

<div class=”oembed-wrap”>
    <div id=”fb-root”></div>
    <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = ‘https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v3.2&#8217;; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));</script>

<div class=”fb-page” data-href=”https://www.facebook.com/pg/nlvfarmsrentals/reviews/&#8221; data-small-header=”” data-adapt-container-width=”1″ data-hide-cover=”” data-show-facepile=”1″ data-show-posts=”1″ data-width=”850″ data-height=”1000″>

NLV Farms Rentals

</div>
    </div>

Where is that guy out of

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I believe Harris

mndadandson

Thanks for the suggestion, but the logistics suck for a 2 day trip.
    Pick up 2-4 PM
    Pull it myself, pay for ice road access, drill holes, set up myself.
    So fishing maybe by prime time, perhaps not on the first day.
    $310 for the 2 days… plus rent a generator, plus fee for ice road, plus fill propane and gas myself.

Not what i am looking for.
    I don’t need another link to a retail operation.

A guy on jighub charges $200 a day, all inclusive and is set up on Mille Lacs, but has been too lazy to get back to me.

It is time for an enterprising person to set up a VRBO type site for ice house/Ice castle rentals for private owners. Adapt or die off.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Adapt or die off.

Kind of how you refuse to pay the going rate for what youre asking?

Did 20 seconds of research to find appledorns has a 4 man sleeper for $150/night that weekend. Bring 2 more adult friends/family members that can help pay and it’ll be a real cheap trip for you and your son.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Did 20 seconds of research to find appledorns has a 4 man sleeper for $150/night that weekend. Bring 2 more adult friends/family members that can help pay and it’ll be a real cheap trip for you and your son.

x2. And if I had an ice castle or something similar, it would take a lot more than $200 to rent it to a stranger, if at all. Risk your 10-20k investment for a 1-2% return?? Hard pass.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

A guy on jighub charges $200 a day, all inclusive and is set up on Mille Lacs, but has been too lazy to get back to me.

Because he knows it’s not worth it. I charge $500 for 24hrs and have no problem renting it. I include rods, locators, bait, propane, gas, generator, TV, set it up on the fish and clean the fish. I wouldn’t do it for a penny less and I only rent it to people that make a good impression on the phone. I have no interest in renting a top of the line fish house to someone for $200.

Your best bet is a large sleeper already set up or a very rustic house you’re not allowed to sleep in. Good luck!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pick up 2-4 PM
    $310 for the 2 days… plus rent a generator, plus fee for ice road, plus fill propane and gas myself.

It is time for an enterprising person to set up a VRBO type site for ice house/Ice castle rentals for private owners. Adapt or die off.

I think you answered your own question.

Road trip over to Milaca Unclaimed Freight or a quarter mile up the Road to Northland auto and buy yourself a Ice Castle or Yetti. Get it insured and hump it up to Mille Lacs and spot it on the lake. Drill some holes. Build your rental web site. Purchase equipment for the amount of holes you have. Buy a car for your kid and he can punch all the holes, move the house and clean it between uses. You will for sure rent it out 3 to 4 nights a week! You will be a tycoon in no time.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

My wife is getting a bit stressed about the cost but I seize every opportunity to bond with my son before he is on his own.

MnDad,
    Send me the contact info for your wife, she and I need to talk. Every summer, my wife and daughter spend a couple of nights in downtown Chicago on a girls shopping weekend. The $300+/night hotel is free, thanks to my many hotel award points. They easily spend twice the $5-600 your weekend might cost. I don’t bat an eye about it, it helps them form memories for life.

Our Son, after he graduated from his 4-year University, decided to take advantage of the (nearly) free education system in Germany to get his Masters. He has completed that, got a full time job and a girlfriend, and has no intention of coming back to the States.

Of course, your Son might go to college, and move back home afterwards.

HRG

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Pick up 2-4 PM

No one should have to pay that much.
    Or have to work that hard for themselves just to go ice fishing.
    For that price they should catch the fish for you.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

What Dutch said.

And

When you start charging people you will need to register as a business,pay taxes, oh liability insurance, and make sure you budget for annual maintenance and repairs.

mndadandson

Road trip over to Milaca Unclaimed Freight or a quarter mile up the Road to Northland auto and buy yourself a Ice Castle or Yetti. Get it insured and hump it up to Mille Lacs and spot it on the lake. Drill some holes. Build your rental web site. Purchase equipment for the amount of holes you have. Buy a car for your kid and he can punch all the holes, move the house and clean it between uses. You will for sure rent it out 3 to 4 nights a week! You will be a tycoon in no time.

I didn’t mean to suggest renting a house as an idea for a business but rather starting a VRBO type site for ice rentals by owner. Literally over 2 million rental transactions for houses (not ice houses) and cabins each year on VRBO alone.

Just wondering why the trend has not spread to ice rentals. With the exception of Ice Castle type “shacks” the risk of expensive property damage is far less compared to a house or cabin rental. Not everyone uses their ice house every night. Cabin owners are defraying costs this way.

I was rather surprised that a small sleeper house (with a generator) would be $400+ for 48 hours, I don’t even pay that much for a cabin on a lake in the summer and I would think cabins have higher ongoing expenses like property taxes, cost of the lakeshore property etc.

Just my thoughts, but UBER, VRBO, Airbnb etc. show the model can work.

OK, now the resort owners and guides can flame me now.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mndadandson wrote:</div>
    Adapt or die off.

I don’t think he had any intentions of actually finding a place to stay at…he’s trying to push his agenda.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I didn’t mean to suggest renting a house as an idea for a business but rather starting a VRBO type site for ice rentals by owner. Literally over 2 million rental transactions for houses (not ice houses) and cabins each year on VRBO alone.

Just wondering why the trend has not spread to ice rentals. With the exception of Ice Castle type “shacks” the risk of expensive property damage is far less compared to a house or cabin rental. Not everyone uses their ice house every night. Cabin owners are defraying costs this way.

I was rather surprised that a small sleeper house (with a generator) would be $400+ for 48 hours, I don’t even pay that much for a cabin on a lake in the summer and I would think cabins have higher ongoing expenses like property taxes, cost of the lakeshore property etc.

Just my thoughts, but UBER, VRBO, Airbnb etc. show the model can work.

OK, now the resort owners and guides can flame me now.

No, my point was you want somebody else to foot the expense of the Ice Castle and yet you think they charge to much.

I own a used boat. Would you expect me to rent it for $100 so you and your kid can go fishing?

If you find something you can afford……God bless, hope you have fun.

mndadandson

Found a decent shack on the lake.
    $95 a night, outlets,lights, cookstove, sleeps 3, rattle wheels 5 holes.
    Pine interior, ice road.

2nd place $275 with generator for 48 hours off brand ice castle type.

Thanks everone for all the suggestions!

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

good

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hopefully you and the kid Hammers some fish

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

There are plenty of crappy rental places that charge top dollar too, but I sure wouldn’t want to go with the cheapest! The only way I’d rent mine out was if I lived on the lake it was on and could see it with binocs the whole time and it wouldn’t be cheap.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

No offense, but some of you guys are being real a-holes to the original poster. He’s trying to have an enjoyable time with his kid and stick within a budget. There’s no reason to ridicule him or make him feel like a cheapskate.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

Well it does cost money. Some of these places haven’t made any the last couple of months. They maintain them, plow roads, keep access open, pay taxes, have rental license, answer phone, clean up, la de da!!!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ralph,
    With all due respect the OP has kinda changed the way he formatted his OP.
    Budget means nothing if it is not what the market allows.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That doesn’t make it okay to treat him like garbage. I haven’t seen anything that I would consider disrespect from him, so why are people jumping all over him?

Ralph –> OUT wave

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

That doesn’t make it okay to treat him like garbage. I haven’t seen anything that I would consider disrespect from him, so why are people jumping all over him?

Ralph –> OUT wave

1) After multiple members tried to explain to him that he wasn’t going to be getting 12V DC out of 115V AC outlets, and suggested that he talk to the renter, he failed to acknowledge his mis-understanding, and just started a new thread.

2) He had an offer of a FREE generator to use, and promptly shot it down, over his own fear of damage.

3) Sarcastic reply to members posting links for rental units

I can’t wait for his postings AFTER his trip, when he starts complaining that his $95/night bargain wasn’t located “on the bite”.

HRG

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Ralph –> OUT wave

He shut down everyone’s suggestion that was trying to help…and complained about them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.