12v outlet to 120v appliance

• mndadandson

We will be renting a shack wired with 12v outlets (2 prong) off of 12v batteries.
    I want to use a low power usage laptop that I regularly use in my car utilizing a power inverter.
    The power inverter can be clipped directly on to battery terminals, alternatively, it has a cigarette lighter input as well.
    I am not sure if I will have direct access to the batteries that supply the shack. If so, I could just clip on the inverter to the battery. But if not, it has 12v outlets (2 prong) for plugging in the tv/vcr that comes with the shack.

My question is…Is there something I can plug into the 12v outlet (2 prong) that separates into positive & negative wires so I can clip on the inverter to use the laptop?

If so, is there a site/link to such a converter I can buy?

mndadandson

ignore the second thread on the same subject

David Blais

Wouldn’t it be easier to purchase a power pack?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Stick a paper clip into each individual slot. Clamp onto the exposed paper clips. Just don’t let anything touch from one slot to the other.
    You could individually wrap the leads beforehand, only leaving enough of the paperclip loop exposed to plug in and make a connection.

B-man
    Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Does anyone understand what this “2 prong” 12V outlet he refers to is? For the life of me, I can’t find something that matches that description, so I’m not sure what the ice house manufacturers are using.

HRG

mndadandson

Already have an inverter (actually 2) for plugging in laptops etc in my vehicle for the kids.
    One is high power, the other is low power draw so I don’t blow fuses.
    I have hooked the high power inverter directly to a car battery to run larger draw alliances, but using it in the cigarette lighter blows fuses.
    Only renting the shack for 2 nights. I rented it because there was no charge for a generator (there is none) and the pictures showed regular looking outlets. Even though it has a TV/VCR, I found out the whole thing is wired 12V only.

The laptop will basically be for playing DVDs. Who rents VCR tapes anymore???

My teenager likes fishing, but some trips become miserable if there are no bites and no other entertainment is available.

The whole point is to spend time with my son but like most teen boys needs more stimulus than a fish or 2 for 2 days. I dont want him to sour on ice fishing.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Already have an inverter (actually 2) for plugging in laptops etc in my vehicle for the kids.
    One is high power, the other is low power draw so I don’t blow fuses.
    I have hooked the high power inverter directly to a car battery to run larger draw alliances, but using it in the cigarette lighter blows fuses.
    Only renting the shack for 2 nights. I rented it because there was no charge for a generator (there is none) and the pictures showed regular looking outlets. Even though it has a TV/VCR, I found out the whole thing is wired 12V only.

The laptop will basically be for playing DVDs. Who rents VCR tapes anymore???

My teenager likes fishing, but some trips become miserable if there are no bites and no other entertainment is available.

The whole point is to spend time with my son but like most teen boys needs more stimulus than a fish or 2 for 2 days. I dont want him to sour on ice fishing.

I’d contact the rental company, and confirm if those outlets are powered or not. I’d find it hard to believe that they would power standard 120V outlets with 12V DC, and risk damage to customer electronics. Those outlet may only be powered if a generator is used.
    Of course, they may have an inverter system built into the house, that converts 12V DC to 120V AC, but those tend to be pretty in-efficient, and would cause the batteries to drain pretty fast.

HRG

ps, I appreciate your efforts to keep your son busy. We traveled back and forth from Chicago to Texas for years with 2 small children, thanks to a 12V TV/VCR that kept them busy.

B-man

It does seem odd to have the shack wired that way, but if it is, all you would need is an appliance/lamp cord.

Basically one half of an extension cord (the male side). It would leave you with bare wires to hook your inverter to, or to wire on a standard “cigarette” outlet.

Polarity (+/-) is extremely important, which is why having direct current powered to a standard outlet isn’t used in commonplace at all.

I’d bring a simple volt meter with to check polarity. Or better/simpler yet, your own battery to hook to.

……….

But…..I’m with HRG, I think there is some confusion between you and the outfitter. If he’s worth his salt, his 12 volt power supply is through standard “cigarette” outlets, not jimmy-rigged through 120v recepticles.

Gobbler

We fished a sleeper on red lake, brought a generator hooked up to exterior plug on shack for the 120v outlets in shack,pretty syre that’s what. You will see.

David Blais

So.. how are the batteries getting recharged? If the fish house is wired with leds, it could go days on the battery. But, if your hooking up an inverter, it may drain in hours.

I would talk to the rental place and tell them your inventions.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

MnDad, what’s the update after talking to the rental company? I see that you are looking for other options, but I thought you had a unit rented already?

HRG

mndadandson

Cancelable reservation.
    Outlets in the pictures were pre-installed before wiring, non-functional.

Considering other options.

Apparently Hardware Hank rents a Honda generator for $39 for 24 hours.

Other sheds that are ready for generator plug-in would be cheaper, even with the generator cost.

Thanks everyone for helping me figure this out. It was a puzzle with the TV and outlets in the photos.

Wish us luck. Only a couple of years and he will be off to collage. We really cant afford these trips, but I wont miss out on these years with him.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’ll let you use my Honda 2000 if you pick it up and drop it back off.

mndadandson

Wow eelpoutguy.
    That was really generous. Thanks, I will pass on the chance it might have a problem when I am using it.

I am biting the bullet and paying for the generator and a shack ready for plug in, unless something else pops up.

My wife is getting a bit stressed about the cost but I seize every opportunity to bond with my son before he is on his own.

Thanks again.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.