Reel bands

• Adam Thimmesch

So I lost my tool to put the bands on was wondering if anybody had any tricks to get them on without the tool

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Lots of swearing.Then go by some friction tape.

adam ladz

Get an automotive funnel or a funnel with a thin stem. Cut off the part of the funnel that is wide until it gets to about the same size as the rod. stick the rod into the wide end of the funnel. No swearing needed! Also any farm store has the castration bands that they use for the cold snap outdoor bands and they are way cheaper.

Sam
    St.Francis

I have a few banded laying around if you want one

Dan Baker

I’ve heard people using a turkey baister before.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

…buy a rod with reel seat – problem solved waytogo

Gone Fishing

Casteration rings aka Cold Snap rings will destroy your cork. If you use them make sure to remove at the end of every season or your handle will feel the pain. There are many great options out there other than tape or casteration rings. When I used casteration rings, I made a tool out of a caulking tip for a bulk gun and than used a piece of PVC pipe to slide over the butt for split grips. Now I use equine ankle wrap cut into strips the long way so it stretches (wrap will not stretch if cut the short way). Wrap onto rod as if it were tape. The beauty to this stuff is that it only sticks to itself, it will not pull out pit paste when removed and is breathable(will not hold water beneath the wrap). See pictures below.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4036.jpg

2. IMG_3973.jpg

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

I leave my Cold snap bands on my ice rods all year and the cork is just fine.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Buy some silicone tape at the hardware store. Works really well and does not leave adhesive residue. Can be removed and reused as well.
    Clam Outdoors sells it in blue for about $10 at sporting goods stores but the same stuff can be bought for less at hardware and home improvement stores.

Gone Fishing

I leave my Cold snap bands on my ice rods all year and the cork is just fine.

What I’ve found is that the casteration rings leave divots in the cork. Sometimes when the casteration ring is sitting on the epoxy where the cork rings are glued together, it smashes the cork outwards and will separated because the bond is cracked. I’m not bragging but I have literally wrapped and sold hundreds, if not thousands, of ice rods alone and if I get any warranty work on a handle, 100% of the time it’s becuse the customer used casteration rings. I’ve tried streaming and soaking the handles in warm water trying to release the divets but nothing works other than sanding them out. I just wanted to offer this alternative because everyone that I have turned this onto, loves it and won’t go back to casteration rings. I honestly don’t get many rods back in general for warranty but when I do, 75% of them are handle and casteration ring related. I won’t warranty handles that are busted up from casteration rings because I warn everyone when they pick them up and then advice people to use the equine wrap instead (I actually give a lot of it away to make my life easier). It’s very easy to tell if casteration rings were used in a rod. If the rod was bought from me, I’ll fix the handle by putting a new one on and charging the customer $12. If it’s someone else’s rod, I’ll do the same thing but for $20. I’m not speaker my for Thorne Bros or TUCR but it’s safe to say that the third major custom rod shop in the metro area, will agree to this also.

NOTE – When I’m referring to casteration rings I’m talking about cold snap rings and the green casteration rings you can find at Fleet Farm or another store like that. At Fleet Farm there usually found in bags of 100 for just a few bucks.

Gone Fishing

It’s hard to tell on camera but this rod had casteration rings on it for 1 full year. The customer swapped reels and noticed his cork was cracked. The customer was honest and told me he used them but you can tell because there are four divets in the handle and the crack is inside one of the divets. It cracked right on the cork ring bond.

Attachments:
    1. BA964985-2856-48BC-9642-4BDDD132AB51.jpeg

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

3 years problem free on all of my TUCR’s…. Once on, I never have to move the bands. I will say this….. Do NOT use the Eagle Claw bands. Them things have a smaller diameter or are not as stretchy as the other brands. I cannot get any of them on any rods using there tool or using the actual band hand stretch tool. They break right away. I tossed them all in the garbage and have given up on buying them.

Quite honestly, I can actually stretch the cold snap and ones from fleet farm with my fingers. Don’t get me wrong I swear while doing it though haha!! I just went and bought the tool this weekend after seeing it in action at the ice show.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Is it fair to say that the quality of cork in that picture doesn’t look like the greatest? I’m not a rod builder so I don’t know, it looks like Lots of knots and imperfections in it to begin with compared to other smoother types of cork I’ve seen.

Gone Fishing

Is it fair to say that the quality of cork in that picture doesn’t look like the greatest? I’m not a rod builder so I don’t know, it looks like Lots of knots and imperfections in it to begin with compared to other smoother types of cork I’ve seen.

The picture is a Thorne Bros handle. I’m not sure what grade cork they use but I’ve seen it happen on every manufactures handles. I’m just trying to inform people that this can happen.

One thing that I’ve found to help prevent this is to apply a heavy coat of cork sealer. This will help stiffen up the cork a bit.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve cracked a handle on a DH rod under a band…Chris is right, it can happen and I won’t let it happen to mine again.

Silicone tape. No residue, only bonds to itself and gives a good grip. Replace at the end of every season.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Chris is right

x2
    I have seen this also happen. And why would you want to feel the bands under your fingers anyways? I hate bands. Friction tape, silicone tape, or equine wrap is the way to go.

Ryan Wilson

I use black electrical tape and it leaves ZERO residue. The secret…….apply one full wrap of tape sticky side up first on the bare handle. This also helps hold the reel on rather well so it stays aligned on the handle when you apply the cover wraps. Then I put no more than two regular wraps over the reel feet and the sticky first wrap. I redo this seasonally on all my rods. 3 years later and my TUCR handles are still like new.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Since when are a couple divots “destroying” cork? Do what ever you want but don’t go around making totally false over the top statements.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I use black electrical tape and it leaves ZERO residue. The secret…….apply one full wrap of tape sticky side up first on the bare handle

x2

Gone Fishing

Since when are a couple divots “destroying” cork? Do what ever you want but don’t go around making totally false over the top statements.

Not sure how I’m falsely stating anything. There’s multiple people that agree with me and I also posted a picture. All I’m saying is that casteration rings can lead into problems that’s all. Not many people know about equine wrap so I thought I’d mention it. I’ll never make this mistake again on the In-depth forum by offering input or advice. Have a great afternoon.

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Everybody has a right to there opinion.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not sure divot or even cork is worth getting this worked up about?

I use 3M brand electrical tape.

I’m guessing there’s a few that haven’t been able to get out fishing lately?

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

It’s hard to tell on camera but this rod had casteration rings on it for 1 full year. The customer swapped reels and noticed his cork was cracked. The customer was honest and told me he used them but you can tell because there are four divets in the handle and the crack is inside one of the divets. It cracked right on the cork ring bond.

This whole thing is turning into a ford,chev, dodge debate…

Lots of questions to be answered before we say bands alone caused that failure. I realize some do and don’t like them, its personal choice it what it boils down to but there are many variables and things unknown about the pic of the failed rod cork.

What was the dia. of the rod butt?
    What is the I.D. of the hole down the center of the cork?
    Was a proper arbor (support) built up inside the handle?
    Was this a glass rod that had a slow action and the butt of the rod actually was bending along with the cork handle?
    I would be very curious to do a cross cut of the reel handle and see what exactly is under that spot but that would be ruining a working rod.

I suspect there is something wrong with that handle construction for a band alone to cause that result. I will second that the cork quality appears low as well.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m guessing there’s a few that haven’t been able to get out fishing lately?

Like clockwork the month before ice fishing kicks into high gear, and then from mid-April (or whenever netting starts) until the fishing opener! rotflol rotflol

404 ERROR
    MN

Whoa, some people need a beer… coffee

Don’t forget to get a cellular density test and molecular analysis done on the cork before we can definitively decide this apparent hot debate…

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I agree with others and Chris. To each is own really, and he was just putting out some info that might help others. Unfortunately opinions are like a-holes…. everyone has one. In the end, its whatever you decide to attach your reels with. If one doesn’t like bands then by all means use tape and visa-versa.

I have noticed if you reply to anything online today someone always has to take it to a new level or get but hurt. Sucks for the guys that are actually trying to help out whether right or wrong, you’re bound to make someone butt hurt.

Just have to ignore people sometimes.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I removed all my bands and went back to silicone tape then electrical tape over it, even with 4 bands on, I could feel them stretching when you hook into a big fish

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I removed all my bands and went back to silicone tape then electrical tape over it, even with 4 bands on, I could feel them stretching when you hook into a big fish

Never had that problem… frown

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.