Reel bands

• PmB

I think the flex is most noticeable when pistol gripping. One thing for sure is that the Eva foam grips do get indented badly from castration bands. I don’t mind bands for panfish rods but that flex is a bad feeling when u hook into a bigger fish

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Me either Mookie blush

I used bands for a half season. A few of my cork handles deformed badly, one fairly significantly. A few popped back after removal. About half didn’t deform at all. No cracking; these were all Thorne rods. I went back to silicone tape. It holds better on bigger fish but only lasts a couple years.

milemark_714

I will agree with Mark B,that handle looks like a flex crack.I had that happen on a few rods I made in the past.Quality of cork matters a lot,AA grade is best,but more expensive. I make most of handles out of carbon fiber tube,much stronger and more sensitive than cork of similar.Lighter in weight also.

Mat Peirce
    Inactive
    SE Iowa

if you dip the cork in hot water it will expand back to shape…just don’t let it soak. better hope the builder used a decent epoxy too. I’ve used bands for a while and have the Cold Snap tool – never had a problem but they do compress certain cork, I don’t really care.

castle-rock-clown

In the spring I would store 2 rods together and in late fall there would be 3. Since I started using the castration bands the third never shows up anymore.

404 ERROR
    MN

In the spring I would store 2 rods together and in late fall there would be 3. Since I started using the castration bands the third never shows up anymore.

rotflol

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I still use packing tape.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

One wrap of painters tape to protect the cork and electrical tape over that for this guy. Clean, cheap… bullet-proof.

thaddeus
    St. Cloud, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

One wrap of painters tape to protect the cork and electrical tape over that for this guy. Clean, cheap… bullet-proof.

That’s exactly how I do it.

DHD

Hockey/bat tape. So much better than electrical.

Ryan Wilson

For those saying castration bands don’t damage cork….let’s not forgot the original intended purpose….

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Best argument yet for NOT using the bands. Wish I could get my rods to procreate on their own. I do have a question though, If you pair two walleye rods do you get another walleye rod or does it start out as a panfish rod and grow into a walleye rod?

castle-rock-clown

Depends on the genes and which are dominant and which are resessive. Purebreds like Tucers and Thorne are usually more predictable, mine are mostly mutts so it’s a crap shoot…hardest part is sexing them. While putting two males together is completely wrong, two females can get intresting…

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Ahhhh, now I understand what I’ve been doing wrong. I’ve been storing all my rods in groups, separated by “spinning” and “casting”. Now I see I should pair one of each and give them a bit of privacy.

hnd

i’ve never used bands that didn’t give me reel movement against the cork. i electric tape then athletic tape. works wonderful.

milemark_714

I have really grown to liking rods with a carbon fiber tube handle.Light,no flex and super sensitive.Cork end caps and a graphite bushing in the center.

Attachments:
    1. 20171212_141949.jpg

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ve heard people using a turkey baister before.

That’s a good idea. It’s just like the tool that bass anglers use to put o-rings on their wacky-rigged Senkos.

SW Eyes

Since when are a couple divots “destroying” cork? Do what ever you want but don’t go around making totally false over the top statements.

Miss all the stuff about cracking and separating, buddy?

How is you cherry picking a part of his story, and disregarding the rest to fit your narrative any better than what you’re accusing him of?

He can go around saying whatever he wants. It’s America. You can choose not to pay attention or believe it. But, nothing he says is “totally false or over the top.” I’ve had this happen to one of my handles. Whether it was poor cork, a coincidence, I don’t know. But it happened. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, take it easy on the accusations.

trophybucs

Black electrical tape x 3,4 ?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Exactly!!

PmB

Soaking in warm water works well w Eva grips too.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20171222_200908752.jpg

2. IMG_20171222_200428559.jpg

White Ranger

Casteration rings aka Cold Snap rings will destroy your cork. If you use them make sure to remove at the end of every season or your handle will feel the pain. There are many great options out there other than tape or casteration rings. When I used casteration rings, I made a tool out of a caulking tip for a bulk gun and than used a piece of PVC pipe to slide over the butt for split grips. Now I use equine ankle wrap cut into strips the long way so it stretches (wrap will not stretch if cut the short way). Wrap onto rod as if it were tape. The beauty to this stuff is that it only sticks to itself, it will not pull out pit paste when removed and is breathable(will not hold water beneath the wrap). See pictures below.

I have heard of guys using this stuff. I picked up a roll and had it sitting around all year and I finally tried it. I liked it so much I tore the tape off of several other rods and I ordered a 12 pack of 2″ in assorted colors from that “A” place. I cut rolls .8″ wide from the 2″ roll by putting it on my lathe and using an Z-Acto knife. Now I can color code my handles to match my rod wraps. This will allow me to catch many more fish. =)

It’s also available in 1″ width if you don’t want to cut it. It goes by various names – sports wrap, vet wrap, cohesive wrap, etc.

Attachments:
    1. 81xbzlLSWcL._SX522_.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’m not sure divot or even cork is worth getting this worked up about?

I use 3M brand electrical tape.

Right, like you ice fish, Brian! rotflol

It’s Friday, everyone head north! toast

jarrod holbrook

I used blue masking tape first then 3m super 33 electrical tape. These rods are tools that will show wear, get covered in minnow scales, and get used. I’m really not worried. I will say that I don’t like a reel seat on any of my ice or ultralight soft water rods. I would be sad if one cracked though!

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.