Lockport Trip

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

I am planning a trip to Lockport the week of Aug 22, through the 28th. Who all wants to go up there? I will be going with a friend from KS and meeting guys there from NB and CO. I think it would be fun to get as many true catfishermen up there as possible that week.
    What do you think CA, or Greenfishhunter do you think you could make it up that way for a day or two.
    The rooms up at Stu’s hold 4 people and he has only 7 rooms. I bet we could fill the place.
    Let me know,
    Dennis

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mr ICBC’s could you post Stu’s web site…i would like to go but I’m afraid I won’t be a true catfisherman by them.

I was just reading some posts from last summer from Bfh and CA. It seems if I don’t change my socks or tennis shoes until August, I may be able to slip by undetected.

briank catfisherman wannabe…

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

BrianK,

Stu’s website is http://www.catsonthered.net Do reconsider about coming though, you may not be a true catter by then but I guarantee you will be by the time the week is finished. You will catch more poundage of catfish in one day then most catfishermen will catch in a season, unless of course we are cursed by cattin-addicts slow fishing curse . And I am sure if greenfinhunter comes up he will show us all how to catch those monster snaugers he is always bragging about.

See even cattin-addict can catch a catfish up there. He seems as surprised as the rest of us. Wow! look at those big hands

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

i catch,small,snauggers,
    Is that when Tony D is gonna be up there..
    C/A is trying to get me up there this year, perhaps that will be the weekend.
    But I will not know until later in the spring…
    See ya,
    Bowfin

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Greenfinhunter,
    I have not heard that your favorite TV guy will be up there or not that week but I did get an email from the dreamer saying that he plans on going up for at least part of the time. We promise not to catch all the big cats and will let you and C-A catch one or two.
    C-A says he added a little longer rope to his boat so you will not have to go swimming again. You may want to start working on your grip now though so you do not lose a rod or two while you are up there. Those big cats hit hard and I have seen a few rods go overboard.

Here is a picture of the dreamer with a little one

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

Im game, count me in And yes the curse will follow

Cattin_Addict

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Yipee,
    I knew you could not pass it up, even after the slow fishing we had up there last year. It’s just too much fun to pass up on. Try to talk Bowfin into coming up also. Lead him on as if he would even be able to catch a catfish.
    By the way, do you have any pictures of him with catfish that you could post? Or are there any Or maybe just post a picture of him and I will try to digitally alter it (like I could figure out how to do that) so it looks as if he caught a catfish. I promise to fix his hands so they are not so big.
    But then again, I have never seen a picture of him. Is he one of these guys below?

Bowfinhunter

Briank,
    Go that weekend if you can (even if you are not of the true faith). i catch small snauggers will need his friends there.
    C/A and I are planning a intervention for ic.s.s. With a little luck we will have him in a Van watching catfish videos from Steve Hoffman and Doug Stange surrounded by Abu Garcia 7000 and 6500 reels and 50- 60 and 70 pound mono spools along with forked sticks and coleman lanterns.
    I do not expect this to be easy.
    ( you know what they say “once PWT, always PWT” it’s like getting out of a cult.)
    I am sad to say I do not have much hope. I belive he has fallen in with the wrong crowd again and a little too deep. ( the dreaded dean heads), I,c.s.s. recovery was going well until he caught that snaugger up with C-A last year.
    If this don’t work our last hope is a exorcism…
    Bowfin

p.s. Briank / Brink, You will not slip by undetected, it is not your feet we fear, but the other orors you will emit.

Bowfinhunter

My last line I ment to spell “odor”… Oooops

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

BFH, I’m glad you clarified “odor”, I thought it was a catfisherman’s acromyn for Old Rancid Odors (from cutbait)Real Stinky.

I was just conferancing with my wife. She talked me into going to Winni the week prior for a week of boat rides and rel-tics. (I would never admit to fishing for anything but cats in this forum. Besides, it generally slow on Winni in August.)

Does anyone have an idea on the drive time from Bemiji to Lockport? Maybe I could send her home with the rel-tics and head north for the south running fish…little early to tell at this time.

Sounds like a great time! Lots of big fish and even more BS.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Briank,
    I think it is about 4 hours. I met a couple groups of fishermen from the Bemiji area up there last year and if I can remember right, that is what they said. If you decide to come you not be disappointed as it is an amazing place.
    Also I have heard that the lucky fisherman who catches the catfish that most resembles Bowfin will get to spend a day with him chasing those huge snaugers he always sneeking away to fish for.
    Not all the time will be spent fishing for the monster cats though as we will also spend some time chasing leopard frogs through the grass. They make much better bait than those green fish.

Here is a picture of Ryan after C-A let loose one of those odors Bowfin was talking about. No wonder he makes a good catfisherman!

Bowfinhunter

Hey ICss,
    I was just getting used to being called greenfishhunter.

And Brinak beware of ever admitting to fish for other fish. Even through I do not look on the other boards or mess with other fisherman ( unless they come to the posts talking about wallnots) We/I will tease you incessantly about it. (see ICss earlier post admitting to going wallnot fishing once a year and all the pictures he posts of himself with wallnots/snauggers sometimes I think he is fishing Mili Lax-ative).
    See ya
    Bowfin

p.s. Are there other fish out there?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

BFH, I’m glad you clarified “odor”, I thought it was a catfisherman’s acromyn for Old Rancid Odors (from cutbait)Real Stinky.
    I was just conferancing with my wife. She talked me into going ************CENSORED*********** August.)
    Does anyone have an idea on the drive time from Bemiji to Lockport? Maybe I could send her home with the rel-tics and head north for the south running fish…little early to tell at this time.
    Sounds like a great time! Lots of big fish and even more BS.

BFH, I See…Thanks for the tip about refering to “bait” too much. Now I understand why the word W@$$%*@E is never spelled out in this forum. Boy am I glad I changed my mug shot!
    But you have to take it easy on us that have the right intentions…but don’t know the rules…don’t you?

Only

43 shopping days ’till spring!

Got my first Catfish Connection catalog yesterday!

Now…I have to go shovel snow…..

shelbyjeff
    SW Iowa

.. i am so looking forward to this Lockport trip…. cattin addict, will be great to meet you and any others that come for the challenge, just please leave that curse behind.. …glad to see we are all climbing out of our winter dens and getting the chat going again.. i always look forward to seeing the banter among us all…come on spring !!!! hope to meet some of you folks!!!
    idreamofcats…

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Good to hear from you also, Dreamer. Briank- Be careful! your walleye fishing is showing through. 43 shopping???? days till spring! Us cat’ers know that the walleye guys will need all of that time to fill their tackle boxes with all the new lures, gadgets and trinkets ——– while all we need are hooks and weights. A hook, weight and piece of bait is all you need to catch a cat.

Yes, I do admit to once chasing those green fish. But I have been a member of SSA (Snauger Snatchers Anonymous) for well over 9 years now. I have never fallen off the boat that entire time. (well maybe once this past summer, darned near drowned) You know what they say “once you go CAT you never go back”, right Briank.
    And Greenfinhunter, there are two kinds of fish——— Catfish and Bait. All other fish are just bait when you are a “true” cat’er.
    Did all you guys notice that the last picture of Ryan. He is not the only one making a face at that odor. Look at the catfish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Briank- Be careful! your wCENSOREDe fishing is showing through. 43 shopping???? days till spring! Us cat’ers know that the wCENSOREDe guys will need all of that time to fill their tackle boxes with all the new lures, gadgets and trinkets ——– while all we need are hooks and weights. A hook, weight and piece of bait is all you need to catch a cat.

ICBC, In the last couple days…I’ve be missunderstood too many times! I forget that you guys have all the nessasary items…

I just received my Gama 10/0 hooks and assortment of no-rolls this week. I need a second anchor (seldom used by them..er…other people) and a net…which I have many questions on…but will be in another post.

Rest assured, my wife is getting concerned. She sees me smiling at the computer…making some noises and when she comes over, finds me looking at that beutiful picture of lady whiskers…I don’t know what her problem is….

’nuff complaining! It sounds like I have my wife talked into going from boat rides on Winnie to going to Lockport for a couple days. Seven days of boat rides – two days of real fishing!

So judging by the posts and picts, I would want to anchor up wind of C-A?

Bowfinhunter

Hey Snauggerking,
    ” And Greenfinhunter, there are two kinds of fish———- Catfish and bait. All other fish are just bait when you are a “true” cat’er.”
    Sorry Snauggerking but Catfish will not eat’em either and that is good enough for me.
    Briank,
    “Boy am I glad I changed my mug shot!”
    You do not fool us, My memory goes all the way back to the stone age of this board. I was not the first but,
    I alone stood by Carp Chaser when he said his fairwell, and he was unjustly assaulted by Bass Gal over his preference of fish.
    And I was also there for his rather uncouth reply.
    I will definitely remember the picture of you holding up a wallnot in each hand and your big smile…
    Nay you do NOT fool us! Do not try.
    But perhaps now at least you are seeing the light.
    Or shall I say the snag….
    See ya, Bowfin

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

43 shopping???? days till spring! Us cat’ers know that the walleye guys will need all of that time to fill their tackle boxes with all the new lures, gadgets and trinkets ——– while all we need are hooks and weights. A hook, weight and piece of bait is all you need to catch a cat.

You forgot the most important piece of catfishing gear. The beer–the brews–the suds–the ales. You cannot possibly go catfishing without it. Actually I think there is a law against it. Catfishing without a beverage. It is a class A misdemeanor punishable by $250 fine. LOL

Just so you guys know, I like to catch walleyes first and catfish if there is enough time in the day after all the wally fishing. I am a true renaissance fisherman.

Gator Hunter

catfishrod

Hey Dennis, Rod here, just reading some of your postings. Have already made res with Stu for aug. Also coming in June with some newbee’s.(Niece & Nephew).Kim has been up with me before, in 96, Didn’t know you then, and Roger is Getting out of Navy this month, and won’t start school til Sept in Florida. Haven’t got my entry for Grand Forks yet, Do you remember when they send out. Have left message on your phone to call me when you can, am on nights now so call early if you can. Sounds like Pax is coming? Hope so, I’m sure Marv & Neat are going to be there also. Am already pumped to go fishing.Hey check out the following web,http://espn.go.com/outdoors/fishing/s/f_fea_cat_blue_
    record_121_8_Burkhead.html (If this don’t work try espn.com outdoors fishing world record). Looks to be new world record blue cat, and he’s still alive. I’m not worthy. I was going to go there in nov last year, just not enough time. I’m still looking to catch a flattie. Was rough at opie’s. Will have to try again this year. Later, I’ll be in touch. Note, keep june 19th thru 21st open for me and family. Rod(: )

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Catfishrod, I will save the barn for you for that time. August will be fun up north.

Briank, You may want to do that(boat riding) first as after 2 days at Lockport you may not be able to reel in a waldo. Your muscles will need a rest. But then again your never really sure if anything is on the line when you reel one in anyway.

Gator-hunter unfortunately the fine is the other way up in Manitoba. Beer is not allowed in the boat at all. But who needs that, with fishing the way it is up there. You know I always say that I would still fish for walleyes too, except they just do not make good bait,——– northerns do

We will be catching doubles like these two that a friend and I caught together a few years back.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

No beer in the boat in Manitoba???? Not even when you are anchored? Doesn’t sound like much fun too me. In all honesty, I rarely drink when I fish. Catfishing is the exception. A beer is the perfect fit with the moonlight and the cats.
    Do you guys have any flatheads on the Red or just Channels?

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Gator is the BEER PROFESSOR. He know’s that you really can’t enjoy the taste of the body and aroma of a beer while you are fishing WcensoredE’s…or was it the other way around?

Gator, from the channels pics that I’ve seen…they don’t need any flats!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Gator, from the channels pics that I’ve seen…they don’t need any flats!

I should go out there and catch some of those Channel Cats. I could use them for bait for our Flatheads. After all, a Channel Cat is only a glorified Bullhead ain’t it?LOL

Gator Hunter

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Gator…I think you’re on to something here…I’ll take the chance to get kicked out of here…

There’s only flatheads, all other catfish and fish are bait.

I think we may have opened a can of stinkbait here, Gator.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Let the games begin. I think these guys have a sense of humor.

Gator Hunter

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Your right guys, no Flats—– they were all eaten by the channels

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jez, that’s a big ugley son of a buck! Who is that guy?

Seeing that channel.. this time of the year… makes me want to…to go cut up the fish in the aquarium for cut bait!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ok, back to Lockport.

So it’s about 8 hours from Mpls/St Paul. Need reservations at Stu’s.
    Looks like the water is moving in the background…note to self…buy good river anchor.

From the sounds of it …I don’t really need a guide for Lockport?

So remember, I’m a catfisherman wannabe…that’s never been to Canada fishing before.
    Thanks!!

catfishrod

Dennis, who are some of these guys you’re conversing with. Drinking in a boat in Canada usually means you can’t catch fish, including those WcensoredS. Whats the big hoopla about flatheads any how? One 50 LBer don’t compare to 50, 20 LBer’s. Round here in Co. if you have a flathead in the boat, it’s from falling down and hitting the transome to many times. Besides, on the Canada Red your beer would probably get warm, if your fishing right. It’s for after, with the bulls#*^@, er, bullheads and lies.Sounds like these conversers with you are good at that. I’ll be looking forward to seeing these guys fish, but only from the porch, cus i’m usually watching my rod bend when I’m in da boat.. What is a WcensoredE any way? Guess it must be one of those fish you fish for when your not on cat water. But is there any other water? Only bout 190 days or so left till Lockport Reunion. Catch ya. Rod

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Briank, if you are up there when we are, I am sure we can show you how to hook into a couple of those fish. If you would like a guide, Stu can fix you up with that also. I would make reservations just to make sure that is where you get to stay.

Rod, these guys keep me entertained through the winter, they are a hoot!

Remember this?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.