Possible problem with dieing fish

• landscats
    North Dakota, USA

I was on the river Sunday and seen something I have never seen. I counted between 20 and 25 catfish that would be over 13 pounds floating dead on the river. I’m really not sure what causes this but I would like to see if it is the lower water levels and the water temps. Would the Cat Tournaments coming up really harm these fish that are stressed to the dieing point already. Things like these have to be looked at and not just passed over so people can make a profit having such events. If you do go out fishing please help lower the stress by using bardless hocks.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Kent, about 3 (?) years ago I recall seeing a post saying that cats were dieing. If I recall they never did figure out what it was from…I’ll see if I can find the thread.

Either way, using barbless hooks on channels that size is the only way to go. They fight so hard that the hook doesn’t come out for me and once in the boat…or beside the boat…out it comes.

Great advice!

bflaten
    Wolf Point, MT

I also noticed this while fishing the Red River Catfish League Tournament last Sat….Things like this happen in nature. Who knows maybe this will lead to less competition for the bigger fish and a state record will be broken within the next couple of years. Here is a picture for all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.