EFN Field Staff Photo – Incredible Channel Cat..!

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Here’s a photo of an absolute MONSTER channel cat, caught by Dennis Flom, out on the Red River.

Tell us a bit about this fish Dennis. When did you catch that beast and what were you using? How long was the tussle? Thanks in advance!

If anyone else has a photo or two they’d like to share with us here at FTR, simply send the photo out as a .jpg attachment in an e-mail to [email protected] and we’ll gladly get that posted here just as quickly as we can.

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

This fish was caught within sight of Stu’s place, Cats on the Red Resort in Lockport, Manitoba. In fact, if I were’nt in the way you would see his place directly behind me.

As with most of the cats caught on the Red, this fish picked up a chunk of cutbait (sucker) fished on the bottom of the river. This was the largest fish out of 63 catfish we caught in 10 hours of fishing time. Of the 63, only two cats were under 10 lbs. We caught more small fish (cats under 15 lbs) that day than I normally do while I am up there but we still managed a 16 lb average.

The area of the river we were fishing was wide open and I use heavy tackle so I am sure the tussle lasted less than 10 minutes. I did have sore arms the next day though, but I always do when I head north to see Stu.

The Red River is a great fishery from my area down here in Fargo all the way up into Canada, but the area below the dam at Lockport the fishing is literally UNREAL. Although I am a catfish guide down here in the states, when I go on vacation I head north.

If anyone would like to catch these monsters of the Red, I would recommend fishing the Lockport area. Contact Stu at http://www.catsonthered.com.

Dennis

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Yup…that be a piggy >

Nice piggy Dennis!

Ed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.