FTR Field Staff Pic – 37 Lb Channel Cat…WOW!

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

This photo is a pic that should send the catmen that visit into a fit of uncontrolled sweats and shakes! The official weight was 37 Lb 11 Ounces as is one of the largest channels known to have been caught on the Red This past season. In Stu’s own words…”Every year this section of the Red, better known as the lower Red, literally produces thousands of big cats over twenty pound. However fish in the thirty pound plus category are not common. There are a number of reasons that the Red is so highly productive when it comes to producing loads of big channel cat. The #1 reason is “all” cats over twenty four inches must be released. I was involved in the implementation of this rule and I’m proud of that fact. Every visitor that comes here to do battle with these brutes are all in full agreement with the policy. Where else can you go and on any given day literally catch a ton of catfish?! The gentlemen holding this cat is Ron Holbert from KY.”

I can see why the back brace was a necessity! Was that monster channel caught on live bait or cutbait and what time of year is typically best for big channels?

Thanks for the pic Stu… and thanks for any info you might have to share with us on these channel cats.

If anyone else has a photo or two they’d like to share with us here at FTR, simply send the photo out as a .jpg attachment in an e-mail to [email protected] and we’ll gladly get that posted here just as quickly as we can.

kevin
    hancock,wi

That is a monster cat i love it .I am planning on coming out there for a fishin trip what is the best time to go and who to show me the way.I can’t wait till spring.
    rookie catman
    Kevin Budny

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

That’s a Big-un for sure! And only a few ounces short of the Minnesota State record for Channel Cats.

Jon J.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.