9/18/2002 – Red River by Ed Carlson

• backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Lockport
    Canada
    [email protected]
    Thursday September 19, 2002
    07:28:52 PM

Latest on the trials and tibulations of the Red!

As of approximately 5:00 am this morning, they stopped the flow of sewage from entering into the Red. ( Prayers answered)! Lets see what type of penalty will be handed out too the city for this outrageous and incompetent act! I only hope that the powers too be act in the best interest of this incrible resource. There has too be a strong,clear message sent that this type of negligence will not and cannot be tolerated. No exceptions please!

On a more positive note: (fishing update) Fished for ‘eyes late this afternoon from 5:30 til 7:50 pm. There were two of us and together we managed eight walleye, twelve sauger and three large kitties. All fish were taken on 3/8 oz. orange jigs tipped with a salty. We fished just north of channel marker 38. Depth was twelve feet. In a nutshell, the event that has just taken place hasn’t seemed to have any negative effect, (thus far)!

Another foot note: The cats are absolutely nuts! I mean they are spanking any kind of quality cutbait such as goldeye or tulibee. We’re finding them in shallow aswell as deep water. One angler claims to have caught seventeen cats on corks near the eastside rock pile below the dam. He claims that he was only there less than an hour before his bait (goldeye) was depleted.

Til next time,

Stu McKay

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Howdy Stu

Great news on the spill being stopped Stu!

Lets hope they lean from this and get the system set so no more leaks EVER happen again.

The Red is a tough girl, she will outlive us all, if we treat her well.

Eh…by the way Stu…the cats are going nuts here too.

Been fun working jigs and frogs, they “THUMP” them hard like a hungry pike.

It is fun watching the cats at night chase the frogs and jigs right up onto the shore to hit them, like teasing a cat with a ball of yarn….EH.

God I love fall!

See ya soon.

Ed Carlson

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Well the tougher the weather the better the bite appears to be the rule on the Lower Red River in Canada. The slow bite of last week has turned around by the reports I received late last night.

Often this is true in the fall up North, and also here locally on the Red River, weather is everything, wind direction is often critical, especially up North.

Jigs and cranks are working well. Do not be afraid to use dark colors in the mix with the standard hot florescence often used on the Red River in the fall. In fact my favorite color is the Purple Metal Fake Cotton Cordell Wally Minnow #7 & #8 for trolling walleye, day or night. Another is the Clown Wally Minnow and the Electric Banana.

Other hot tickets have been the floating Ghost Minnow rigged on a Lindy No-Snag sinker run with a 4-5′ leader, work them slowly over the dunes or rock points. Ripsticks are another option with the Lindy & leader rigs. The Wonderbread pattern has proved productive, as well has the Purple.

Looks like a “Worser da weather da better da bite” type pattern has developed on the Red. Bundle up and hit the river, it may pay off in a wall hanger of your life plus a tail to go with it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.