Lockport, Manitoba

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

I spent this past week up at Cats on the Red Resort in Lockport, Manitoba. What A fishery! We caught and released 54 fish in the first 8 hours that we had fished with most of those being at least 20 pounds. The fish were taking anything that we threw to them, cut sucker, goldeye, frogs and shrimp.

If anyone has not experienced this fishery I would suggest calling Stu @ Cats on the Red @ (204)-757-9876 and set up a trip. He has everything from just a room to a fully guided trip. It truely is a spot that everyone should try.

You get a true respect for Catfish after feeling the power that these monsters of the Red have. Up here everyone should not have a problem catching a 20 pounder.

If you would like more information on this fishery contact Stu @ Cats on the Red, Ed Carlson or myself and we will give you the information that you will need to have a trip of a lifetime.

There is no place like this in the world where you can go and catch these “pigs” one after another.

Good Cattin!

Dennis

shefland
    Walker

Dennis, question, going to Lockport on Sept 11, been there before but sometimes have had trouble accquiring bait, we do not always catch goldeye. Where did you get your frogs up there? how about sucker? don’t dare bring any bait across the border from minnesota, thanks

vern
    Richfield, MN

Hey Shefland, I’ve had trouble catching goldeye in the past, so when I went up this spring I brought my own bait. I don’t think there’s a problem bringing suckers over the border as long as they’re dead. I went up there in May & brought about 2 dozen suckers on ice. I’m really glad I did because the goldeye weren’t biting & the bait store only had giant frozen suckers. On our 2nd day we ran out of bait & had to buy one of those big suckers. Those things were about 3-4 lbs and frozen solid. I’ve never seen that before & thought it was pretty funny. It worked great, but we had to wait for it to thaw out before we could cut it up. Too much of a hassle for me. I would bring your own bait to be on the safe side. Good luck! Vern

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

If you go think frogs or pronds as bait. Cutbaits were not nearly as productive for big fish as well as numbers.

Try the marsh South & East of Lockport and the Selkirk park near the rodeo grounds for frogs. Be sure to have a net or you will spend way too much time dancing in circles chasing them hoppers.

Have a great trip!

Ed

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Fresh cut sucker will catch just as many if not more cats than frogs. It is a bait that can be brought up from the US and you do not have to go out and try to catch frogs when you should be fishing. I will stop by the bait shop and buy the biggest suckers I can get my hands on and chunk them up and put them on ice until I use them.This bait will only last about 3 days on ice before it starts to break down. That is when I will go catch frogs as the goldeyes just do not seem to produce the fish that the cut sucker or frogs do.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.