Red River in Grand Forks UPDATE

• landscats
    North Dakota, USA

It won’t be long now until we are back on the river chasen those Trophy Cats. The River is dropping and with this rain should only improve the fishing for both spring Walleyes and cats. Just hope the ramps are in nice shape, still can’t see them under all that mud.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome to IDA Landscats!

It’s great to have someone close to the Red…we haven’t heard much since Dennise (Icatchbigcats) left our humble abode.

I haven’t made it up there yet…although we had plans of going last year…then the water started rising. I plan on hijacking Catten Addict and getting up there at least once to feel those fabled whiskered monsters!

Do you guide up there?

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

Yes sir, since Dinnise has retired from guiden I beleive I am the only licensed guide on the Red River. Kindof cool, I will try to keep everyone posted on what is going on with the river and the fishing reports.

Briank, I’m not going to post my web site here since I haven’t finished reading the rules.

Oh by the way Dennise is the one that told me about this site.

Kent Hollands
    Grand Forks, ND

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Kent!

Yup…miss that guy (Dennis)…you would think he could stop in and say hi once in a while!

Again, welcome to the IDA family! I’ll try to keep Bowfinhunter and Catten Addict at bay…as long as I can There both good guys…although I’ve never met BFH or seen a picture posted of him…there was rumors last year about him really being a her in disguise…don’t know for sure.

There’s a few guys that head up that way…and I’m hoping to make it this year for my virgin run. (doors open there, huh CA?)

Looking forward to your posts and reports. Heck, if you have time post some pictures from last year

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Mealy worm if I did post a picture of myself you would have to take down your poster of Donnie Osmond from above your bed, or move that autographed picture of “Ponch” from chips on your night stand. What would your mom think?
    See ya

Bowfin

P.S. Hey Neil where is “Bob” he did’nt choke on anything did he.
    PP.S Hey Putzkid now is your chance

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

The North landing is under mud. River has to go down about 4 feet before you can put in any boat on trailer. The new ramp area is looking pretty good but they can’t push the ramp in until the river goes down also.

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

hey landscat, are you talking about the fargo area? I heard from Denise last week and he said the ramps were in good shape around fargo unless he is just trying to get me up there for some other reason

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

The ramps in Fargo may be open. It takes about a week beofer the water that is in Fargo to get to Grand Forks. The river here is just above its banks so it will be just a little longer still. So now Denise is telling the truth

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Since you brought it up Lands…(sort of) Why does the Red flow backwards? I only know of one other river that flows north..and I believe it’s the Fox into Green Bay(?)

Now that I’m on a roll with questions…Why do the Channels get so big up there? You would think that Northerns, Eyes ect would grow to mosterous proportions too(?)

cattinaddict
    Catfish country

your showing your true colors again mealy No one and I mean no one would be asking about the green carp (wallnuts) on the red if they are planning on going after the channels up there

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

OK OK the river flows North because a very very long time ago this very very very large sheet of Ice covered this area,see. It carved this area out leaving this valley. And the Red River of the North was formed. It just happend that the Northern end of the valley is lower then the southern half because the ice moved from North to south thus water flows down hill.

Channels get big up here because we fertilize the river with all the feild run off. Joken aside I’m really not sure why the Red is known for trophy cats. My guess is that it is a very fertile river system that provides everything that a channel cat needs. Shelter, food, the right current, and not alot of fishing pressure. I think that might be the biggest thing is that there are not alot of people that fish the river.

They do but I don’t tell anyone. Snakes and eyes are very hard to target on the river. I have not caught a northern on the red river but caught a few on the red lake river. As for walleyes on the Red very early spring and late fall are the best two times. The biggest I have put in the boat is just a little over 10 pounds.

Is that all the questions you have for me today. ok then I going to get a cup of java. later

Kent
    Trophy Cat Adventures

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Red River Hookers?

You and Bowfinhunter may have something in common…

The receeding glacer would have been my guess….but, The St. Croix River Valley was formed at the same time…flowing the same way…and it’s a “normal” river flowing north to south… Ok, I’ll just have to accept that there was more ice up there.

It’s been explained to me by some smart fishy people, that if you could trace back large (record) fish, to their first few years, you would see a longer “growing” season. The spring or fall was warmer…longer. The growing season is only so long based on the areas weather. He explained it’s called a “wall” effect. Fish can only get so big during that growing season and hit a wall in size. Again,record fish enjoyed a longer growing season in their first few years of life.

So the question is (when your done with your coffee )Does the Red have a longer growing season? As in does the water stay warmer there than other rivers?

You would think the Miss would hold the same number and size of large channels around the Brainard area?

PS What an ugly picture… beautiful cat though

Thanks for posting it! What size may I ask? (the fish..CA! The fish)

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

With the weather here this week the river isn’t going to warn up much. I would say that we have a short season compared to down south. But I beleive it also depend on the forage base that the fish have. The Red is a very good river and the forage base is great, from goldeyes to frogs they are strong along its banks.I would say that the Red has a good 6 month growning season on the cats before the water temps start falling. But that all depends on the weather. May to Oct, but then again one year people were still golfen up here in the first week of Dec. Talk about throwing a curve in the growning season.

The fish was 20.2 pounds and I caught this 10 minutes after catching this 19.2 pound fish. Not a bad evening on the river

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

I’m so sick of this weather. It brings back many thoughts of 97 “the year of the big flood”. April was nice just like this year then May was cold and wet. I got the boat out last week and was going to clean it out and pressure wash everything but its snowing again. Maybe this week will turn around so I can get her ready.

I would love to get on the river this week and give you guys a update time will tell. Until later Tight Lines

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The weather is a mess in Mpls/St Paul too. Fleet Farm was stocking their shelves with ice gear…(LOL)

I’ve been passing the time by crashing my computer, calling the (no) help desk and reloading everything. Sure beats being on the water….NOT!

landscats
    North Dakota, USA

The boat ramp has been cleared of mud, the boat is clean, the hooks are sharp, the bait is fresh. Time to go catch trophy spring cats.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.