Introduction to the Red River

• icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

The Red River of the North is known worldwide for the great channel cat fishery it is. Catfisherman from throughout the world travel to Minnesota, North Dakota and Manitoba every year to catch trophy size channel catfish. When the who’s who of the catfishermen talk about places to go to catch trophy size channel catfish, the Red River tops that list. But as well known as this fishery is, it is still a very underutilized resource. Few local fishermen take advantage of this fishery. It is unlikely that when you put your boat in at any of the local boat landings that you will see more than just a few empty boat trailers.

As well known as the Red River is about its great channel catfishing, it is not as well known about the superb walleye fishing that can occur at certian times of the year. Walleyes move upstream in the spring and fall and, if conditions are right, will pile up beneath obstructions in the river,–mainly its dams. During the summer, although some fish are caught, the walleyes are scattered throughout the river and will be hard to come by on a regular basis. Some of the other fish that are caught on a regular basis are northern pike, sauger, smallmouth bass, freshwater drum, muskie, goldeye, carp and even a few sturgeon.

There are 8 lowhead dams on the US portion of the Red River. They are at Whapeton, Wolverton, Hickson, 3 in Fargo, Grand Forks and Drayton. Most have been filled in below the dams with large rock to prevent the “hydraulic” current that is so dangerous and has taken numerous lives throughout the years.

The Red River begins where the Ottertail river & the Bois-De-Soiux meet in Whapeton-Breckinridge. This is a popular fishing area and has boat ramps both above and below the dam. The river is more clear in this area because of the sandy soils the river meanders through. This begining is a good place to fish for smallmouth bass. It is also a popular walleye fishing spot in the spring and fall. The river is small here and most of the year is barely boatable due to its shallow depths.

By the time the river reaches the Fargo-Moorhead area it has muddied considerably. There are 4 boat landings in the FM area, with one being above all the dams, one above and one below the middle dam, and one being below all the dams. So all areas of the Red River are reachable by boat in the FM area. The River here is still a small river but is a little easier to boat in as average depths will range from 5′ to 8′ most of the year.

As we travel north, there is a boat landing at Belmont Park, which is located east of Buxton, ND. This stretch of the river can get shallow and is one of the few areas that you have to watch out for rocks. When the river reaches Grand Forks it has grown considerably. This area is quite easy to boat as the river averages 10′ to 15′ and has holes to 40′. There are boat landings both above and below the dam in Grand Forks.

There is a boat landing at Oslo, MN but no dam. Further north, Drayton, ND has a boat landing in town and one below the dam a few miles to the north of town. The Drayton area of the river is still no more deeper than the Grand Forks area, 10′ to 15′. The river here has widened noticably though. From Drayton and north, the river would probably be considered a medium size river. It has few snags (deadfalls) from here and to the north. There is one more useable boat landing on the US potion of the Red River and this is located at Pembina, ND.

The upper portion of the Red River is snag infested from its begining to north of Oslo, MN. These areas provide current breaks, shade, ambush sites, spawning substrate and cover for fish. These areas are a good place to start looking for fish when fishing the beginning part of the river. From Drayton and to the north, the river is a whole new ballgame. Areas to start looking for fish are holes, insides of bends or any current breaks.

Some Red River facts:
    This river flows to the north.
    There are more than 50 species of fish that have been documented in the river.
    It extends 545 miles and drains more than 40,000 square miles.
    Although it has a swift current, it only drops 233 feet from its begining to where it enters Lake Winnipig.

If you would like specific information, such as lodging options, exact boat landing locations, bait shop locations and so forth contact Dennis Flom @ [email protected] and he will get that for you.

Dennis Flom

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Personal Message to icatchbigcats,
    Even through I agree with everything you have said about the Great Red River of the North I am asking you as fellow Catfisherman to quit singing the praises. Not everyone needs to know what a fishery this River is. I fished on It for two days this spring and saw only one other boat the whole time (20 hours+) on the water. For Catfisherman there is No other place like it. And if you keep talking walleyes you will ruin the fishing for everyone, if someone catches a 18.5 inch walleye on the Red and gets to keep it you will have a convoy of pick-ups and boats up 94 all the way from the cities. Please don’t even mention Bass again. Can’t we as Catfisherman be allowed one spot that we don’t have to run into Bass/Walleye people around every bend. It is now a nice quiet River and perhaps I fish on the croix too much but I get tired of seeing boats going by bigger then my house. And cleaning up after people I don’t know.
    So please quit telling everyone about the Red. Remember if you don’t have something Negative to say don’t say anything!

quiet please,
    Bowfinhunter

icatchbigcats
    Red River of the North

Hey Bowfinhunter,
    Yes, I probably should keep quiet about the Red River. Didn’t you go fishing with Ed. He is the Walleye man of the Red and talks more about that than I do. I am a catfisherman who could care less about catching a walleye, as they just don’t make good bait. Ha, Ha, you know there are only two kinds of fish…. Catfish and bait.

I just get lonesome fishing the Red up here, as if you saw one other boat when you were up here,that is one more than I will see all summer fishing the Red by my place. I live on the Red River, but I am more than 20 river miles from the closest boat landing and there is just too much good fishing for other fishermen to make it out this way.

I do get a little hell from the guys who live close to those boat landings though. They too would like to see as little boat traffic as possible. But the Red is for everyone to enjoy and I will continue to spread the word, unless I start seeing too many boats out my way! Just kidding, there is alot of this river that will never see a boat all summer so I think there is a little room for everyone. And futhermore the walleyes are too scattered through the summer, and the catchable numbers of bass are only in a small stretch of the river where it is somewhat clear. So even telling a few people about the fishery, I don’t think us catfishermen will have to get out of the way of many of those bass and walleye boats and I will always have time to chat to a fellow catfisherman if one of them happens to pass.

Good Cattin!

backwater eddy
    Red River of the North USA and Canada

Dennis is a good man, and a heck of a guide!

Good to see him here on FTR.COM he will be a big help to all us river rats.

Dennis gave a very detailed and accurate description of the Red as it works its way North. The 500 +/- odd miles of river is FAR from being over fished. I believe he and I agree that only about 50-60 miles of the Red ever see much fishing pressure, ever? You add all the associated tributaries and the river miles multiply considerably and add up fast, many of the tributaries are completely overlooked by anglers.

The more folks know about a river the more they come to appreciate it. If we didn’t believe in this we, as guides would just shut up and fish and leave the rest to the “Pro’s” to chat about. But we do think that with knowledge comes ethics and the combination increases the total enjoyment of fishing for all.

The Red is a river that has a future since good folks like Dennis Flom and the “FM Riverkeepers” work hard to let people know what they are missing.

Keep up the good work!

ED Carlson

Bowfinhunter
    Wallnutters are a silly lot

Hey icatchbigcats,
    First of all Yes I did go fishing with Ed and yes I said I liked Ed but I did not say Ed was perfect. Being a walleye/bass fisherman is a choice. You are not born that way so there is always hope for a person to change. And I don’t doubt that there is a lot of room on the Great Red but I just wanted you to know your peril. I think the Great Red River is the best place in the world. And as for me it is my religion. And I fear others less pious may desecrate what now is beautiful.
    I am just asking you to be careful of what you wish for.
    Both you and Ed are luckier than you know. At least I am more envious than either of you will ever know.
    Bowfinhunter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.