Recommendation on Small/Medium Sized SUV for Towing a Boat

• Duck2
    Mahtomedi, mn

Hello My 2002 Chevy Suburban has seen better days and i am looking to downsize to the smallest SUV as practical with a requirement that it be able to safely tow my 17 ft 2014 Alumacraft Trophy. The trailer does not have brakes. The fully loaded weight of the trailer and the boat with a full tank of gas is just under 3,500 lbs. Any thoughts on what vehicle(s) would work? Hopefully the answers will be based on real life experience. For example, I would like to be able to use a Ford Escape with the 3.5 Liter engine. It lists a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs, but I don’t know if it can really handle the job or not.
    Thanks

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I purchased a Toyota tacoma and it handled my boat fine which is same as yours. Would not hesitate to recommend I think the towing capacity was double anything in it’s class.

good luck

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

I drive a 2013 Escape and pull my boat (2013 Tuffy X-170), but it’s well short of your boats weight I’m sure. If I had to guess, I’d say that it’s probably well short of 2000lbs fully loaded and that to me is about as much as I’d want to pull with it.

You may have to go with something one class up from the Escapes size or look at smaller trucks to pull a boat that size in my far-from-expert opinion.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

A trailblazer would be as small as I’d go. I used one for a few years to tow my 17ft Lund tyee until the tranny went out on a on ramp. And in all honesty I felt it was to small for towing. I use a Tahoe now and like it much better.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d look at the Ford Explorer, Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Acadia, etc as being the class of vehicle to look at if you want to go as small as possible and still have the towing capacity to pull your boat.

I’m pulling our pleasure boat (21 foot Wellcraft) at over 4300 pounds wet weight with my GMC Acadia and it pulls very well.

Make absolutely sure you get a vehicle that includes the full factory-installed towing package. This is NOT just about adding a lights plug and a hitch so don’t let anyone tell you that just bolting a hitch on will give you the same thing.

The Acadia’s towing package includes a dedicated towing tranny mode that alters shift patterns and changes the engine management functions when towing. It also includes a tranny cooler, different water pump, etc, etc. And the hitch and lights plug, of course.

BTW, in my recent experience, finding a vehicle WITH the tow package can be challenging. Plan accordingly. My old SUV died suddenly and basically I had to jump on the first truck I found that had the towing package because they were about as rare as hen’s teeth.

Grouse

FryDog62

My 2012 Toyota Highlander is rated to 5000 lbs towing…does a great job. Good gas mileage, safety ratings, etc. Just put it on Carsoup.com $2k below book.

Iowaboy1

Hello Duck2,before any one starts laughing,I have had nothing but great luck with my boat,it is solid,dry,and more dependable than I could of hoped for,it is a 17 foot 1995 tracker pro-deep vee with a 40 merc on it,all in with trailer and a full tank of gas,it weighs right at 1800 pounds,that said,it pulls great behind my grand cherokee with the 4.7 litre engine,how ever,I would really suggest brakes on your rig if it is that heavy,you will need them if you are going to pull it with a smaller suv. my 2000 dakota 4 door handles it very well also,and I wish I had brakes on my trailer as it will push them when trying to slow down in any hurry. I think redneck trailer supply sells the whole kit complete for less than 300 if memory serves me,this is the complete backing plates loaded,and hubs with bearings and seals.
    my friend from wis. has a 17ft kingfisher with a one fifteen merc on it and it is heavy,not sure on the weight,but I bet it is close to yours,he pulls it with a durango,4.7 litre engine,and it does very well,but both of us will tell you,there is no replacement for displacement,in other words,go with as a big an engine as you can find,if I can ever swing it,I will be going with a tahoe,or something similar with at least a 5.3 engine.
    not to bust any ones bubble,but I have been in the auto repair business for well over thirty five years,and there is no way in hell I would own a ford,lets just say they are over 85% of my business, maybe its the area?? if it werent for them,I would have to close the doors.good luck with what ever you choose.

c_w
    central MN

The gross weight on that trailer can’t exceed 3000 pounds without brakes here in MN? You sure your rig is at 3500?

CW

jon_wbl

If you are really that close to 3500# I would seriously consider adding trailer brakes. Mine boat/trailer is just under 3000# and added brakes. Night and day difference in stopping even behind a full size truck.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.