Recommendation for buying new Yamaha outboard

• klang

It looks’ like I may being needing a different outboard. Sheldon has my old Mercury 115 HP in his shop now running tests on it. Where would be a good place to get a deal on a 115 HP Yamaha 4 stroke? Will probably buy new for warranty but wouldn’t be against buying a low hours used one. Thanks in advance for your help.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Check with Sheldon, he has some connections.

klang

Check with Sheldon, he has some connections.

He told me to start looking on my end and he would do some checking also, Thanks

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It looks’ like I may being needing a different outboard. Sheldon has my old Mercury 115 HP in his shop now running tests on it. Where would be a good place to get a deal on a 115 HP Yamaha 4 stroke? Will probably buy new for warranty but wouldn’t be against buying a low hours used one. Thanks in advance for your help.

Generally area to buy from? No clue where your at?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sheldon is in NE Iowa so I’m guessing he is near there.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Sheldon is in NE Iowa so I’m guessing he is near there.

I was thinking Sheldon was by Colfax. Regardless, some people think driving 20 miles will take eternity and other people have no problem driving 200-300 miles to get what they want.

klang

[/quote]

Sheldons shop is in Kellogg Iowa, I did not put where I was located as a motor can be shipped from almost anywhere.

Cody Meyers

I like Hannays Marine here in The twin cities. They have fair prices, good service, and have done a good job on rigging and other items in my boats.

milemark_714

Sheldons shop is in Kellogg Iowa, I did not put where I was located as a motor can be shipped from almost anywhere.
    [/quote]

The problem there is with shipping the new motor,is that the selling dealer will have to fudge the PDI form,then ship it to Sheldon.No problem if he is an authorized dealer of that brand.I looked into having one shipped to me,but it would have to be installed by an authorized dealer for warranty purposes.Not an issue if it is pre-owned.

klang

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>klang wrote:</div>

The problem there is with shipping the new motor,is that the selling dealer will have to fudge the PDI form,then ship it to Sheldon.No problem if he is an authorized dealer of that brand.I looked into having one shipped to me,but it would have to be installed by an authorized dealer for warranty purposes.Not an issue if it is pre-owned.
    [/quote]

That’s a good point, I did not realize that.

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>milemark_714 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>klang wrote:</div>

That’s a good point, I did not realize that.
    [/quote]

this is true to a point, usually it means a dealer wont sell to an individual who is installing the motor and doing the rigging himself,as long as you are an established business its not as large of an issue.
    I have installed two brand new motors this year without issue, the dealer put the motors in a large tank and ran it to check the timing,idle speeds,fluid levels,etc before shipping it to me.

I get a copy of the PDI and go over it again to double check everything
    for my peace of mind and send the warranty papers in.
    I do all of the rigging in house and run the motor again to check all of the functions,tilt/trim,steering,throttle and shift points.

its not rocket science but it can be akin to brain surgery when you get into an older boats wiring and discover the many many unique ways someone can simply put,effe things up !! ( not your boat Klang )
    and yes,I am trained in all areas of installing outboards and all associated components, I have to be for insurance reasons.

Iowaboy1

dang it, time for a new powerhead or complete outboard replacement.
    I removed the cylinder head yesterday morning to see if we had a gasket issue or possibly a cracked head, everything there looked great and then I find this in the bottom cylinder !
    there is clearly a problem with water getting into this cylinder, it was not too many days ago that this outboard had been ran and to have this kind of fresh rust formation is not normal at all.
    the brow shaped brown stain in the bottom of the cylinder clearly indicates this problem has been here for quite awhile.

no obvious erosion in the exhaust ports or water jacket areas nor is there any obvious cracks in the cylinder wall that can be seen above the piston.
    in talking to a couple of engine rebuilders this model of engine is prone to cracking in the cylinder walls in areas that cant be seen without complete disassembly of the cylinder block.

Klang and I after discussing it see no further need to waste time in tearing it down and we are now looking at the option of buying a remanufactured powerhead or fully replacing the entire outboard.
    Neither of which is cheap !!

Attachments:
    1. KIMG1029.jpg

tim hurley

Klang-good look finding a used one-tons of Yamis on the lake very few in the used market.

klang

Anybody have experience with a 115 HP 4 stroke Suzuki? Or any size Suzuki.

cheers

My 70hp suzuki has been flawless for 5 hard years now . It would be my go to brand

welliou

I have a 140 Suzuki, 2016 with about 500 hrs. Prior I ran a 115 Yamaha 2002 for 14 years. So far the Suzuki is every bit as reliable as the Yamaha which was near perfect.

klang

I have a 140 Suzuki, 2016 with about 500 hrs. Prior I ran a 115 Yamaha 2002 for 14 years. So far the Suzuki is every bit as reliable as the Yamaha which was near perfect.

Thanks for the input!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.