RECENT FISHING REPORT

• sjc

Heading to leech on friday 2/16 looking to get on some perch and walleye, any recent reports? Not looking for an specific spots just a starting point on where to start searching. we will be staying the weekend in the wheel house and will be mobile during the day. Trying to decide between the sand point area of walker bay, the main lake out of trappers or going out of pine point? Also any major heaves to be aware of as far as travel on the lake? thanks in advance

Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

sjc,

Should be good timing on your trip! I have been out quite a bit but there is a lot of area to cover out there so this is just my 2 cents. Here’s the deal the way I see it right now. I would stay away from the traffic around Sand Point. Not that you can’t catch fish there…you certainly can, but the perch run smallish and you have to sort through numbers of fish on most days. Unless you know of a “spot on the spot” that might involve cabbage for example I would look elsewhere. Now if you want to pop a big walleye then maybe, but think outside the box. Drop your house on a pocket of open sand surrounded by vegetation in about 6 to 8 feet of water and be quiet overnight. Large task I know! That’s not a numbers deal however. There are areas that have been pretty good for perch on the big lake. Think expansive flats and move all the time until you find fish. Might I suggest Traders Bay…? The walleye bite has been fairly tough out there but if you set up shallow as a home base you might nail a thick fish or two! Travel is relatively easy by truck right now although you may have to negotiate around a drift or a non-active heave or two. I can’t stress the keep moving part enough. If you want impressive perch keep moving until you find them. Walker Bay has actually been decent for walleye action for me lately but pretty brief windows followed by hours of nothing and lots of noise/traffic.

Good Luck,

DoRight

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Our gang will be up there 22-26th can’t wait.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.