Reading during the virus crisis

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Check out Vince Flynn novels. His character is Mitch Rapp, CIA counter intelligence agent. Kills anybody who gets in his way. Great reads.

Andy if you like Prey I assume you also have read the Virgil Flowers series.

F’ing Flowers. rotflol

Read all of these along with Harry Bosch. The Reacher series is another fun read.

I have the Box books liked up to start next. I take time to read about an hour a day and again before bed.

Deuces

Les miserable is on my to do list. Be about the 5th time for me. Gets better each time.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Going back to rereading Clive Cussler series of books. My reading and comprehension is rather suspect when it comes to information absorbed with long time reading. I want to do research to fill in those spaces.

I also want to pick up on research of the history of eugenics.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I also want to pick up on research of the history of eugenics.

I will say, you’re posts amuse me. Never sure where you’re at or where you’re coming from, or maybe it just comes down to how much you’ve had to drink?

Either way, keep them coming. I’m a fan.

As far as eugenics, don’t waste too much time going back before Adolf Hitler.

Just start there, and you’ll learn all you need to know. razz

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

If you like Gene Hill, read anything by Patrick McManus. Much less serious and wistful, but very humorous. Love reading him when I need to relax my brain.
    A great book I read lately was “All The Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr.

smb218

Brian Freeman’s books are amazing MN guy whose Jonathan Stride series about a cop in Duluth great read for those who like murder mystery

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

C J Box is an author from Wyoming. His series of books about a Wyoming game warden, Joe Picket, are very good reads. Read them in order if possible, there are 20 books in this series he has another series with 4 books in it
    wmd

X2 on C.J. Box
    Others to consider:
    Paul Doiron – He has a series about a game warden in Maine
    Brian Freeman – Jonathon Stride Series set in Duluth
    William Kent Krueger – Cork O’Conner series set in Northern MN

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Molly’s Game is a fascinating true story.

The movie is on Netflix.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Never sure where you’re at or where you’re coming from

I hope you know you would never be blind sided by my randomness. razz
    Gotta go back way before Hitler. Just dug out a very insightful book I’ll reread.
    Author; Edwin Black
    Book; War Against the Weak,
    Eugenics and America’s Campaign to Create a Master Race.

littlepineguy

Google is on to those who have finished all the Flynn books and then go search “Books like Mitch Rapp” because that led me right to the Harvath series a couple of years ago. Good reads. One other local author that has provided some entertainment is William Kent Krueger and his Corcoran O’Connor series. Local cop/PI premise, but with a woodsy/outdoorsy tilt in the iron range which seems to fit many here.

KG25
    Lakeville, MN

If any of you like Sherlock Holmes stories, Larry Millet wrote 6 books of Sherlock Holmes in Minnesota mysteries. They take place in the 1890’s in Minnesota. Good stories that incorporate historical Minnesota. Fun to read about the twin cities and greater MN during that time. He’s also written and number of nonfiction historical books on Minnesota.

maddogg

Lee Child –Jack Reacher series.
    F. Paul Wilson–Repairman Jack series.

mnfisherman18

X3 on C.J. Box series and X2 on Lee Child – I think the Jack Reacher series is my all-time favorite.

Looking forward to trying a few of the other suggestions on here!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Les miserable is on my to do list. Be about the 5th time for me. Gets better each time.

have picked up that book about a dozen times and started it but cant seem to get past 50 pages or so. book must weight 10 lbs. maybe ill give it another go this weekend

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I love Michael Crichton (not any of the stuff they released under his name after he died). His fiction and non fiction is amazing and you will learn obscure things. Most of the movies they made were poor or awful reflections of his books.

Zack Shack Guy

Thank you for all of the recommendations. Lot’s of books or authors that I would not have heard of otherwise.

I know that everyone probably has heard of this book and maybe were required to read it in school, but for my money Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck is the best book that shows the depths of mankind. I think I’ve read it at least 10 times, and every time it hits me profoundly.

Another good book is The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. The end of the book isn’t the best, with a political push, but a great look at Chicago in the beginning of the 20th century.

A good MN book is Poachers Caught!: Adventures of a Northwoods Game Warden. Easy read, with some funny stories, and some stories almost impossible to believe.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I remember being forced to read Grapes of Wrath in school. Don’t remember anything of it…..school was long time ago. wink

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.