Reading during the virus crisis

• Brad Dimond

I don’t keep many books at home, only those that are particularly important to me. With the library closed I am now rereading the books I own. I am a Gene Hill fan, read Hill Country and just started A Listening Walk. In between I read Robert Ruark’s The Old Man and the Boy.

What are you reading?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Just finished (yesterday) Mission Critical by Mark Greaney. It’s a book in the Gray Man series.

Little erie in the beginning. It’s about Biochemical warfare with a North Korean scientist as a main character. doah

I had started The Terminal List by Jack Carr but had a hard time getting caught up in it. Maybe i’ll try again this afternoon.

Bill Douglas
    Brookings, SD

C J Box is an author from Wyoming. His series of books about a Wyoming game warden, Joe Picket, are very good reads. Read them in order if possible, there are 20 books in this series he has another series with 4 books in it
    wmd

Ice Cap

For some reason I always gravitated to the big sweeping epic types of reads. I’ve read everything Michener. Harry Coombs put out some great epic westerns like Brules. Always thought that would make a great movie.

Most of my reading is done online these days rather than physical books. Lots of articles on subjects rather than novels. Lately it’s been military warfare and history. Get caught spending a lot of time on this site. Lots of rabbit holes to go down.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

This subject has been brought up here before and on other sites as well. I think the book readers these days tend to be older people. The younger people tend to cruise the web, forums, Facebook ect. for their reading.

I dread the day I can’t read a book anymore. I enjoy it as a way to kill time, maybe a escape from reality. I don’t know. When I was younger I was big into history. While I still enjoy it, I’ve slid towards fiction.

With the weather warming i’ll soon head to the patio or porch for a read & power nap. (you book readers know what i’m talking about) grin

glenn57
    cold spring mn

John Grisham and James Patterson books. that Patterson writes some awesome stories.

Minnesota volunteer!!!!!!

Brad Dimond

i’ll soon head to t

My small book collection is the result of space constraints imposed by the household Chief Operating Office. The last time we moved there were way too many boxes of books to haul. I will soon run out of books to reread. I have a Kindle but greatly prefer a book (I am old!). Soon I will reduced to downloading books from the library website and Amazon. Recommendations here will likely populate my download list.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Brad I’ve tried the Kindle thing, I just like turning pages I guess. grin

I have done the audio books while driving. For some reason they just seem expensive like buying online books does. Maybe it’s because I don’t actually have something in my hand.

I had piles of books around here. Then my BIL retired and started reading grin he and I read the same stuff, so guess where my books go now. jester

Oh well, at least this is a subject that shouldn’t get locked. coffee

Sylvanboat

Check out Vince Flynn novels. His character is Mitch Rapp, CIA counter intelligence agent. Kills anybody who gets in his way. Great reads.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m a big fan of old books about hunting and exploring from the late 1800s and early 1900s. There was kind of a craze back then for people to go off on Safari or expeditions to the far corners of the globe and then write about it.

A few favorites:

The Arctic Prairies by Earnest Thompson Seton
    The Rediscovered Country by Stewart Edward White

There are many, many more.

I am a Gene Hill fan, read Hill Country and just started A Listening Walk. In between, I read Robert Ruark’s The Old Man and the Boy.

You might also like Ruark’s Horn of the Hunter.

And if you’re a Hill fan, have you also read Thomas McGaune’s The Longest Silence?

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Check out Vince Flynn novels. His character is Mitch Rapp, CIA counter intelligence agent. Kills anybody who gets in his way. Great reads.

I think I’ve read all of those.

Timmy

“Undaunted Courage” by Steven Ambrose.

It chronicles the Lewis and Clark expedition in it’s entirety. Awesome read. For me it’s one of those “can’t put it down…..just one more chapter before bed” types of books.

Brad Dimond

Grouse – I read Thomas McGuane years back but they were from the library. I will get a copy (book or electronic) of “The Longest Silence.”

Timmy – I have several Ambrose books, have read all of his books. “Nothing Like It In the World” is on the short list for rereading.

Thanks all, keep them coming.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Yep – this is what I would do. I’ve read them all and gone back and read them again. You can read them in chronological order or the order they were published.

Plus, Vince Flynn is a St Paul guy. He passed away due to cancer a few years ago but another author, Kyle Mills, is finishing the series. He’s done an admirable job.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If anyone wants to read a wide open forum with every uncensored angle of this mass hysteria just go to the General/General forum at ar15 dot com.
    Every possible feeling and angle on the subject from super positive to super awful is present. However the truth is in there as well. You can read what hundreds and thousands of men are thinking on the subject and Its very current.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sylvanboat wrote:</div>

Yep – this is what I would do. I’ve read them all and gone back and read them again. You can read them in chronological order or the order they were published.

Plus, Vince Flynn is a St Paul guy. He passed away due to cancer a few years ago but another author, Kyle Mills, is finishing the series. He’s done an admirable job.

x3, love the Vince Flynn books, and bought the most recent one on my way to PR. Haven’t started it yet, as I was busy helping Matt catch monster tarpon… rotflol

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’ve always been a “reader” back to when I was a baby when I first learned to read. neutral

No better way to expand ones’ vocabulary.

I’m with Dutchboy, I still insist on turning paper pages when given a choice for what I read.

Speaking of Vince Flynn, one series I really enjoyed was the Lucas Davenport “Prey” series by John Sanford. Those could really suck you in and most were taking place in the TC metro…which added an element because you could picture some of the locations having been there before.

Lately I’ve set fiction aside for awhile. I’ll circle around again, but now I’m more into what Ice Cap posted war related history…

Lots of articles on subjects rather than novels. Lately it’s been military warfare and history. Get caught spending a lot of time on this site. Lots of rabbit holes to go down.

https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/

Thanks for referencing that site, I had not found it yet on my own.

I still enjoy sitting down with a big “printed paper” book. smile

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Andy if you like Prey I assume you also have read the Virgil Flowers series.

F’ing Flowers. rotflol

Ice Cap

I used to have many of the printed books and loved collecting old antique books. Had the first edition of Grant’s memoirs at one time. At our previous house we had a built in wall book case in the living room and I had it full of antique books. Didn’t read them all but they sure looked beautiful and scholarly all lined up and displayed in that book case. cool

Here’s another link for ya Andy maybe you are aware of this one. But they have a good amount of classic war movies you can watch on their site. Watched Kelly’s Heroe’s the other night.

Kelly’s Heroes : 1970 ( Full Movie )

huntinforfish

Flynn’s Series is great and Mills has done well with the last few. If you like that series and need something new to get into, Check out the Scot Harvath series by Brad Thor.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Flynn’s Series is great and Mills has done well with the last few. If you like that series and need something new to get into, Check out the Scot Harvath series by Brad Thor.

Yep, another good read. waytogo

Brad Dimond

I have enjoyed David Housewright’s McKenzie and Holland Taylor series. Housewright is a St. Paul writer, most of the book settings are in the Twin Cities, outstate Minnesota or Wisconsin.

B-man

I’ve been reading a couple of the Orphan X series lately, on Out Of The Dark right now

Attachments:
    1. 15858553604676446681307347514564.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Lots of good suggestions – here would be my list in order of my preference:

1) Vince Flynn – Mitch Rapp is my hero.
    2) John Sandford – both the Davenport and Flowers series are great. Fast reads, too.
    3) Alex Berenson – it has a very Vince Flynn feel. The first book in the series called “Ghost Wars” is phenomenal.
    4) Brad Thor – his series with Scott Horvath is good.
    5) David Baldacci – he has multiple series and some are better than others. The Camel Club Series and John Puller Series are excellent. Memory Man is OK. The Will Robie series is really good. He has single books and Last Man Standing is awesome.
    6) Ted Bell – his Alex Hawke series is good. The first few books are great but have gotten a little hokey for me.

This list outta give you about a hundred books to read in self quarantine.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Lots of good suggestions – here would be my list in order of my preference:

1) Vince Flynn – Mitch Rapp is my hero.
    2) John Sandford – both the Davenport and Flowers series are great. Fast reads, too.
    3) Alex Berenson – it has a very Vince Flynn feel. The first book in the series called “Ghost Wars” is phenomenal.
    4) Brad Thor – his series with Scott Horvath is good.
    5) David Baldacci – he has multiple series and some are better than others. The Camel Club Series and John Puller Series are excellent. Memory Man is OK. The Will Robie series is really good. He has single books and Last Man Standing is awesome.
    6) Ted Bell – his Alex Hawke series is good. The first few books are great but have gotten a little hokey for me.

This list outta give you about a hundred books to read in self quarantine.

i’ve read a few of Berenson’s book!!!!!! pretty good.

ve heard of Flynn maybe check them out as ole Tommy B talks frequently about him!!!!!!! whistling

wkw

” The Mulligan” by Nathan Jorgenson is a good one. He is a former classmate of mine from Jackson, Mn. This book is one of those “can’t put it down” books.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Check out John D. MacDonald. He published 57 novels between 1950 and 1986. The most popular are the twenty in the Travis McGee series. Some were available in my local library and I was able to find most of the rest of them as e-books at the Hennepin County (MN) library.
    Also: Robert B. Parker, Barry Eisler, Lee Child, Frederick Forsyth, Ken Follett, Michael Connelly, Thomas Perry, Dennis Lehane, Robert Crais, Daniel Silva.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

” The Mulligan” by Nathan Jorgenson is a good one. He is a former classmate of mine from Jackson, Mn. This book is one of those “can’t put it down” books.

The name Nathan Jorgenson sounded so familiar. I looked him up, sure enough he authored “Waiting for White Horses” which I read about 15 years ago. Great book, I still have it on the bookshelf.

Brad Dimond

I’ve read all of the John Rain books by Barry Eisler, enjoyed them. The Gabriel Allon books by Daniel Silva are favorites as well. Lee Child has dropped off lately, the last couple of Reacher books have turned him in to Superman. Frederick Forsyth’s career is incredible. “Day of the Jackal” was published in 1971, “The Fox” was published in 2018.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.