terrova

• gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Is an 24v 80lb terrova enough power for a 620?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I don’t think it is enough for a all day river excursion. I also think that you will find situations where it is just not enough umph to get the job done.

FDR

arklite881south

Terrova 101 with my WX2100 Skeeter. Wouldn’t think of going smaller.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

I have the 80lb one for a 18.5ft sportfish, if you can do it go with the 101. I know mine works for the situations I fish in, but any bigger boat the 101 would perform much better

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Thats what I kinda figured, I currently have a 24v powerdrive, and 3 bank charger…. Would a 3 bank charger be able to handle 36v trolling motor batteries and starting battery or would I need to get 4 bank charger?

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If your main motor charges you starter battery you would be OK. 36 volt will require 3 batteries.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Quote:

If your main motor charges you starter battery you would be OK. 36 volt will require 3 batteries.

I realize the 101 would take 3 batteries, just wondering if a 3 bank charger will work with 4 batteries…

I didnt know boat motors charged batteries, just maintained charge? Is this an aftermarket feature?

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

I’m thinking about going to the 36v on my 617 but don’t have much battery storage area. Would I get by OK on three group 24 AGM batteries? Would this be better than two group 27 on a 24v 80Lb setup?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

A three bank wont charge 4 batteries. But depending on how old your charger is you can upgrade to a 4 bank for not that much more.
    As far as 101 or 80 for the boat. If there is any way you can swing the 101 I would for sure do it. I would much rather have a little extra power at times than to not have enough.
    Yes, while your main motor is running it will charge your starting battery. It is just like the alternater in your vehicle. The 4th bank will help keep it charged which is nice if your running your electronics and everything else off the starting battery.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

You will be able to get by with that yes. The only thing will be is they wont last as long on one charge and they will also probably fail sooner as they wont take as many charges and recharges as the 27’s will.
    On a 617 I would think you would be able to get by with a 80lb but like I said before I would rather have a little extra power left over than to not have enough at times.

3- 24 series batteries will do the job, it will just be a little harder on the batteries is all. Make sure you keep them fully charged and you should be good for quite a while!!!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

The original question was,
    “Is a 24v 80lb Terrova enough power for a 620?”
    My answer would be no. The 101 36 volt I-Pilot would be the better choice by far.

The second question about chargers for batteries would be a 3 bank for the 36 volt 101, and a 12 volt on the rest. Question I have is, have you ever kept the live wells going overnight? That is where the other charger comes into play.

I’m going to this config this spring. I’ve upgraded to the 36V I Pilot this last spring from a 24 volt Autopilot and utilized my existing 3 bank onboard charger. I will add the other separate 12 volt onboard charger for the balance of my boats needs.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

The original question was,
    “Is a 24v 80lb Terrova enough power for a 620?”
    My answer would be no. The 101 36 volt I-Pilot would be the better choice by far.

The second question about chargers for batteries would be a 3 bank for the 36 volt 101, and a 12 volt on the rest. Question I have is, have you ever kept the live wells going overnight? That is where the other charger comes into play.

I’m going to this config this spring. I’ve upgraded to the 36V I Pilot this last spring from a 24 volt Autopilot and utilized my existing 3 bank onboard charger. I will add the other separate 12 volt onboard charger for the balance of my boats needs.

Do not use your 36 volt battries (for the trolling motor) in conjunction with anything else. Seperate, Seperate, Seperate.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Thanks Denny, thats what I was looking for… Im currently running 24v copilot, I didnt even think of adding another 12v charger, that would be way cheaper than buying 4 bank…

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

More is always better when it comes to motors however I have a 74# maxxum on my 620 and I have only completely drained the battery 1 time since I bought my boat new in 2002.
    That day was pretty extreme, I was even using my kicker to help since I was slipping a rock point on Lac Suel. I wouldn’t have been there in the first place but the walleyes were and we spanked’em all day. Battery finally gave out just before we were heading in for dinner anyways so it worked out good. Actually suprised me how long it lasted.

With that said…if I was getting a new motor, I would get more thrust just for days like that. I was the only boat in our group with the right equipment to fish that spot that day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.