Rainy Lake Update

• Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

Well June was very busy, and really consistently good fishing on Rainy Lake! The walleyes have started their transition towards main lake reefs, and there is still good fishing in the bays particularly when the winds are blowing. Look for more walleyes to be leaving the bays, and heading out to there summer haunts on main basin structure in the next week.
    Small Mouth bass fishing has been good also. Look for bass to remain in the bays near spawning areas for a long time still. With the cooler water, and high water for this time of year I wouldn’t be surprised if the bass stayed shallow all summer again like they did last year. This is a good thing for fishing, because its much funner to cast for them in the shallow water, and also more productive from my experience. If they leave the bays it can be challenging staying on top of them because they’re usually on the move chasing minnows.
    Lots of big pike in the shallows still too. Pike often time follow walleye migrations, and are usually in places where there is lots of walleyes, perch, sisco’s etc. Some big pike will stay shallow all summer, but many will head out to main lake structure also.
    Have heard pretty medium crappie reports out of Black Bay last week. We haven’t been after them since Late May, but have talked with folks that are still catching them with mixed results. Good Luck to every one fishing Rainy Lake!

Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

Like the looks and layout of the new site! However it won’t let me load pics for some reason? Anyone have any suggestions?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Like the looks and layout of the new site! However it won’t let me load pics for some reason? Anyone have any suggestions?

@ryanschmidt
    – some have reported issues adding to pics to the first post in a thread while not having those same issues in follow up replies. Let me know if you can add pics to a reply to your first post. Obviously we’re working on this bug and expect to have it fixed shortly.

Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

Thanks James! I’ll it again.
    Lots of walleyes on the reefs the last week, and also lots of walleyes shallow still in the bays. There’s a may fly hatch going right now, and has been for about a week now which has impacted the walleye bite some. Some days has required lots of moving, and trying to stay on active fish, but other days the eyes are Snappin where ever you find em.
    Bass fishing continues to be pretty good, and the top water bite has improved the last few days.
    Big pike are still shallow, and there on the main lake points and reefs with the walleyes. More walleyes should be transitioning out of the bays in the next week.

Attachments:
    1. image32.jpg

2. image31.jpg

3. image30.jpg

4. image29.jpg

Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

A few more pics, and good luck to everyone fishing Rainy!

Attachments:
    1. image36.jpg

2. image35.jpg

3. image34.jpg

4. image33.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.